PDA

View Full Version : Who has a second job / income?

Nottsbiker
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
We are about to have a new floor and kitchen installed next week (well beginning next week) thats along with appliances is going to come in at around 20k and take 3.5yrs for me and the other half to pay off. Whilst this is going on I'm going to have dramatically less toy money so need to look at ways of rectifying this ASAP! Before anyone thinks this is excessive, I've made Hannah endure living in a building site for 3 years, and we got the house a little bit cheaper than market value.

I picked up an L200 Warrior recently to help with this (and because its a man toy) so I have the means to earn some extra money, and intend on buying and breaking a bike a month via Ebay/Gumtree etc to generate £100-200 extra. I'm trying to be realistic and not greedy by aiming low as this will also mean I dont have to put a lot of extra time in keeping it enjoyable, and with the advent of the smart phone I can always check for bikes whilst at work.

What do other people do for extra pennies?

Ben :)

bigredduke
02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Who has a second income? Most of the current Cabinet.

LVC
02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
£20k for a kitchen ....... :cens: I do hope that includes the 2 storey extension as well ????

I've always done all my kitchen installs and the current one has a £5k Italian range oven/thingy which I thought was well over priced but the total install never got above £10k (including the appliances and units).

Bit like weddings that seem to cost an arm and a leg - never understood the logic there either - total waste of money :freak:

I hope for £20k that the food's going to be Ritz standards.

What do other people do for extra pennies?

...... think I may get into selling kitchens now for obvious reasons, lol

Martin Duke
02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Who has a second income? Most of the current Cabinet.
And a third and fourth! But do they earn any of them, let alone the allowances and expenses we have to pay them!

gary tompkins
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM

OMG :eek:

pegboy
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Sounds like allot of cash for a Kitchen, unless it's a commercial size??? and it's not even London prices??

With selling bits on ebay, you will need to be prepared to be messed around and if your splashing out more cash, that may not necessarily have spare, and need to recoup the cost ASAP you may well need to sell at a cheaper price to get the turnover and thus reducing your margin of profit.

NewMon
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
A lot of people make a very good living buying and selling on eBay. Be prepared to spend a lot of time wrapping and posting and get the cash out of paypal and into your hands as quickly as possible. The most time consuming part is posting the items, taking pictures etc. If you can re-sell the same thing often, this can save a lot of messing.

Remember to keep accounts just in case the nice people at the revenue notice you.

To answer your actual question - I used to do bespoke software in my spare time - that became a full time 'career' after I left real work and set up my own company. That was back in 1995 and I've been happy working for myself ever since.

Yorkie
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I have had a few part time jobs when i have needed extra cash yo pay for things, it just depends what you are willing to do.

They were mostly on weekends and nights Friday, Saturday & Sunday so your quality of life and free time is dramatically reduced.

Yorkie

Char
02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Had two jobs since I was divorced lol - & that was well over 10 years ago

Dookbob
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
If you install the kitchen yourself, you won't need another job.

Nonnie
02-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I had 2 jobs for a couple of years. Hard and a bit draining.

My husband does websites as a second income.

gary tompkins
02-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I tried part time kitten juggling for a while but had to give it up

Was costing me a fortune in cat litter

Rally
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
I've got a second and third job this week; The 2nd is sleeping at night and the 3rd is getting up in the morning! :D

Phatty
03-01-2013, 07:58 AM
So you've bought an overpriced kitchen you can't afford and are now wondering how to pay for it....

No wonder this country is such a mess with clowns who think like that.

Nottsbiker
03-01-2013, 12:24 PM
20k breaks down like so;

New floor - from the earth upwards + flooring
Kitchen + appliances
Utility room inc new double glazed window + one in bathroom
Understairs toilet

In reality the only room not being down downstairs is the lounge. I've gutted the garden (125ft long) and dug footings for a workshop, along with removing all the plaster from every room in the house bar the lounge, sanded the stairs, built stud walls, begun boarding the loft....

After a while you have to balance spending your own 'time' versus paying someone else who does that work daily and gets trade prices on materials. Our builder lives near us and is a decent family man, only downer is that he owns a V-Rod ;)

Nottsbiker
03-01-2013, 12:26 PM
So you've bought an overpriced kitchen you can't afford and are now wondering how to pay for it....

Bit harsh when you dont know me aint it??

Our household income is approx £55k so borrowing £15k from the bank and £5k from the parental bank aint that bad!

I'm not broke, more over was asking other peoples ideas about 'toy' money - money to spend on toys not food, bills and clothing etc.

buzzbomb
03-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Ben as one of the older members of the forum I'd like to offer some advise, don't discuss on open forums your own personal money matters because you're only leaving yourself open to comments that some times you won't want to read.

Tell me to mind my own business if you want as I won't be offended as I'm only thinking of you.

Darkness
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM

That's one way of looking at it, albeit rather negatve unless you are going for a wind-up (LOL?).

Another would be to say that a bloke want's to make a significant gift to a long suffering partner and is prepared to work hard to deliver it. That's more like the entrepenurial spirit that will get this country out of the mess it's in!

But what do I know about it?

:twak:

Nottsbiker
03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Fair point BB :)

Cheers Darkness - funny that there is another thread asking why people only watch and dont post on internet forums.....

Zak
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM

It's comments just like that which stop new members from joining and posting, thoughtless and aggressive. The man asked a simple question, if he chooses to spend that amount on a kitchen then it's nobody's place to attack him, regardless if you agree or not.

Doubtful you would voice it face to face, keyboard aggression is totally unnecessary and one that boils my blood. Usually undertaken by cowards, and I WOULD say all of this to your face.

No wonder there's a post in here about why so few people post, great way to attract new blood.

Yorkie
03-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Chill out! Raising a heart beat about little things is all a bit pointless!

Anyway Happy New Year to you all.

Yorkie

Phatty
03-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Doubtful you would voice it face to face, keyboard aggression is totally unnecessary and one that boils my blood. Usually undertaken by cowards, and I WOULD say all of this to your face.

And I'M the one being 'aggressive'?

Take a look at your own posts before you attack mine and make threats.

Zak
03-01-2013, 06:45 PM
And I'M the one being 'aggressive'?

Take a look at your own posts before you attack mine and make threats.

The difference being that yours was unprovoked, mine was in defence of another forum member. I made no threat, I said I would say it to your face, which I would, I don't do cowering behind a keyboard, I have a backbone.

Your comment was totally unjustified and you still offer no apology.

Darkness
03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
And I'M the one being 'Aggresive

No, just negative imo

Happy New year!

utopia
04-01-2013, 03:29 AM
When I saw Ben's kitchen, there were quite a lot of spending opportunities, it has to be said.......;)

I once met a man with a pick-up who was digging horseradish root.
Quite valuable, apparently, yet a surprisingly common wasteground weed.

Personally, I have a small second income, and I'm working on a third....I don't have a first one though.
My kitchen is functional (well, apart from the cracked sink) but tatty, though you can gaze upon the monster parked outside the shed door while you're doing the washing up......:)

PDS
04-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Well Nottsbiker seems you and your kitchen has caused some forum tension, I can see only one solution .............................Tea and scones at yours when the kitchen is finished then we can discuss if its was worth the cost :) maybe slam a few cabinet draws, apart from that i have nothing of any value to add.

LVC
04-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Bickering aside and after some reflection I can see the logic of what Nottsbiker is doing there....

Agree to spend £20k on "home improvements" which predominately include a new kitchen and work hard over the next 3 and a bit years to pay it off. The end result is a very nice kitchen and home that's gone up in value and more importantly...... carte blanche to spend at least £20k on toys and request the misses to get an extra job to pay for them and she's no right to complain.

I'm liking your logic .... now what we can spend £20k on .... you've got the truck already so I'm thinking Streetfighter....New Monster....serious amounts of carbon and bling......good plan :mand:

bluestoesonnose
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Do a bit of bar work and glass collecting when I can, good fun and gets you out on a Fri or Sat eve. The trouble is it's hard finding part time work in a city with a large student populaiton. Depends what you're into but there are some jobs out there, try and get a Fri or Sat eve and you'll feel ok for it as you won't be juggling too much.

Breaking bikes on ebay is ok, but watch out for HM Customs, they keep an eye on things like that, a good mate had a call from them about his ebay activity, and it can be a pain in the ass.

If you can make something that people want that is a good little side line, I know a chap who does auto electrics; mostly plug and play stuff for VW Campers and the like, good little business just have to know the market.

urbanfireblade
22-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Someone i know makes a living out of buying and selling mountain bikes on eBay. Set up a 'company name' etc online to make it technically a business but it doesn't actually exist except for the name, tho he still claims back vat for anything and everything, even asks mates to give him their fuel receipts so he can claim the vat back!
Check out newly listed items, offer a daft cash price and see if they say yes. This applies to anything tbh, but mountain bike spares are going up in price so buying bikes cheap and stripping them or selling them on may bring in extra income. He makes around £1000-1500 a month doing it.

FLATTOP
23-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Couldnt resist this:biggrin: good luck with your kitchen Nottsbiker.

http://youtu.be/v2ny-ubUhow

Nickj
23-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Well Nottsbiker seems you and your kitchen has caused some forum tension, I can see only one solution .............................Tea and scones at yours when the kitchen is finished then we can discuss if its was worth the cost :) maybe slam a few cabinet draws, apart from that i have nothing of any value to add.

Slam?? They'll be soft closures ..

Make it coffee and buns ;)

Want a scabby 250 honda nighthawk type of thing (lost interest in doing much with it), do the rear brake pads, chain and front tyre and you could turn it round for a minor profit.
Got a TTR250 that's far more deserving of my time and effort, plus is infinitely better as a bike.