PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Yellow Allen Bolts

roofrat
27-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Does anybody know were I can buy some NEW Zinc Yellow Allen Bolts for a 94 Monster as I can't seem to find them anywere online.

Thanks.

Rally
27-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Genuine Ducati ones are not the earth and the correct colour etc. it's worth checking out the prices from your dealer. I was pleasantly surprised when I did. :D

roofrat
27-12-2012, 01:15 PM
my local ducati deler said they can only get silver ones

Char
27-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Try Pro Bolt http://www.pro-bolt.com/motorcycle.html

If not you may have to get from USA - like http://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/

Gilps
27-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Get all your original ones replated. It's real cheap.

Dukedesmo
27-12-2012, 02:40 PM
my local ducati deler said they can only get silver ones

All the Ducati bolts/nuts I've bought recently have been silver coloured...

utopia
27-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Ah, yes. Do you mean those yellowish-gold coloured plated bolts that are std fitment ?
I may be wrong, or outdated, but I remember that bolts with a similar finish to that were once available as "Zinc plated and passivated". You may find something if you search for that.
Or possibly, cadmium plated....which also have a similar finish.
My info is a bit sketchy on this, but there it is, for what its worth.

As a last minute thought, I'm wondering if you could achieve a similar finish by heating stainless ones up til they went to straw yellow colour and quenching them, as per tempering of steels.....?

Worst choice would probably be yellow anodised ally bolts, which are as strong as mild cheese.

popelli
27-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Does anybody know were I can buy some NEW Zinc Yellow Allen Bolts for a 94 Monster as I can't seem to find them anywere online.

Thanks.

what the standard ones???

keep finding them on my bike and I keep removing them and replacing them with stainless

you can have all the old ones - where abouts are you?

olivera
27-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Replating is possible and I use Vehicle and General Polishers and Platers in Arlesey Bedfordshire. Good service, fast and reasonably priced.
http://vehicleandgeneralelectroplaters.co.uk. I have just had them zinc plate all the fasteners, springs, brackets and anything that was originally plated on a 95 M900, with a gold finish zinc plating similar to the original finish. Over 200 pieces for £60. They also do chrome and other plating.
Unfortunately the exact yellow coloured plating is not possible (as the chemical process required is illegal I understand fro V&G platers) but the alternative finish looks just as good and has a yellow colour if not quite as yellow as original. V&G have a board with all finishes available (and there are quite a few).
One lesson i have learnt is to clean all the parts with a wire wheel prior to plating as (obviously now) the plating process just adds zinc and replicates the surface finish of the item.

Rally
27-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Precision plating in Southampton is who I use. They have a minimum order of £40, but for that I recently had over 300 pieces plated. The silver is zinc, or bright zinc if you want it shiney, the gold finish is pasivated zinc. Their quality is great if you prepare the stuff well.