PDA

View Full Version : Hi from me and my new Ducati

Marsh...
27-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi all… Saturday 29th December is the day I hopefully will be taking delivery of my very first Ducati (avatar pic) :) it is of course a Monster and it is of the s4 variety 2001. I’m soooooo pleased about this, why, well after thirty odd years of wobbling around on all sorts of bikes I decided three bikes ago that it was time to hang my leathers up for good. Then ebay kicks in and I buy something, only to be disappointed, just another bike… This time though, I looked back at what I once wanted but couldn’t afford and that’s when it hit me! Get a Ducati, now I’ve got that first bike feeling again, I’m excited (steady) can’t wait. I will obviously report back on my journey, so hi to all, have a brill new year.

And apologies for waffling on Regards Marsh

J.P
27-12-2012, 10:43 AM
A big welcome to the club. Glad you've treated yourself to what you wanted.
There's plenty of advice and help via the site if you need it and a number of events throughout the year if that also interests you.

utopia
27-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Hello and welcome.
And a happy dec 29th.....I'm sure it will be.
I too had long lusted after a Ducati and finally bought my M750 about 6yrs ago.
It has lived up to all my hopes and more, and has become the bike that I will have for ever.
I hope your experience is similar.
And don't worry about tales of unreliabilty and temperament....that went out with the 80's.

chris yeatman
27-12-2012, 12:40 PM
hi welcome to the club.
having a break from getting my s4r up together, putting new rear tyre on as i comment.

J.P
27-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Can I just say that that isn't Chris sitting on his bike....

Char
27-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Can I just say that no one has ever seen Chris sitting on his bike (well not this year) :biggrin:

but welcome and I am sure you will enjoy the bike

Dookbob
27-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I knew right away that it wasn,t Chris when I noticed the 6" heels, he wouldn't get on his monster in those.

Grumpy
27-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Welcome aboard......waffle all you like!

Mohawk
27-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Welcome, and enjoy the new bike Marsh :-)

tricolore
27-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Welcome ............... you'll love that S4.

Marsh...
28-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Just had a phone call... Bikes not coming tomorrow :grump: It's coming later today :eek: Bloody ell. I'm trying to stay cool but its very tricky, last time I was this fired up about a new to me bike was in 1974 when I took delivery of a blue gt185 Suzuki with RamAir cooling, my first aaaah. Right then im off to wait for the bike!
:):):):):):)

utopia
28-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Hee, hee. Happy new year mate.
I wouldn't bother trying to stay cool. You'll only take delivery of your first Ducati once in a lifetime. why not let rip with the childlike excitement ? .....I did.

Technical note.....I found that when I had a large bellypan like the one in your picture (on my aircooled 750), the motor got a bit hot when stationary at lights etc due to the lower header being enclosed by the pan. The smaller, Monza type work a lot better in this respect.

Albie
28-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Welcome and a great choice of bike and colour. Thinking back almost exactly 8 years ago I fell for my s4 in red when I was riding my M900 at the time. I had a choice of 2 at the time. I got mine as a xmas present to myself as was a sepatated single man who then had enough money to do whatever. December the 19th I got it but it lasted only a day as the starter solenoid went t its up and I got it back xmas eve. Loved it for a fair few years.
Enjoy it and become an active riding member of our club.

Albie

Blah blah
28-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Well, has it turned up ????? Or are you just not back yet?

Oh, and we'll need pictures !

Mohawk
28-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Just had a phone call... Bikes not coming tomorrow :grump: It's coming later today :eek: Bloody ell. I'm trying to stay cool but its very tricky, last time I was this fired up about a new to me bike was in 1974 when I took delivery of a blue gt185 Suzuki with RamAir cooling, my first aaaah. Right then im off to wait for the bike!
:):):):):):)

Well how spooky is that Marsh. My first bike was a blue GT185 and I still have it! Hoping to start restoring it in the near future :)

uksurfer
28-12-2012, 10:40 PM
welcome to the club, S4 is the best!

Dirty
29-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Can I just say that that isn't Chris sitting on his bike....

Can I just say how disappointed I am reading that!!

Welcome!

Marsh...
30-12-2012, 03:20 PM
:)Thank you one and all. I was waiiting, stomach churning, is this it noooo, this, nooooo then a van pulled up, driver walked towards my front door, I couldn't wait I opened it, smiling so much it hurt my face, got something for me says I, yes says the man, we walkto the van he opens the door...
:grump:Oh says me the indicator wasn't hanging off when I last saw it and the tegi wasn't twisted either. I felt sick! Dunna worry mate we will sort it in the new year. I accept delivery, (yes I know I shouldn't) the bike hasn't been minted up like they said either. I can't phone dealer, they are now closed. So I take her into the garage and begin to explore the tail piece is broken and the top of the air cleaner has been cut off also I discover its been raced how I missed the clues in the shop I don't know. I feel like sh1t :freak: my dream has just turned itself into a mini nightmare. But above all I still love the bike to bits. Next day emailed dealers felt if I phone I would blow my stack and that wouldn't help a bit...
Anyhoops they assured me they knew nothing of its race history, said it had been cleaned but would take it back to sort the things out.
With regards to to air box lid being removed the mechanic says it is to accomadate the K+N airfilter. ??? Is that right please advise. :confused:
So as I stands this min, it's going back Wednesday morning to be sorted.

But anyways what a brill welcome to the forum, and I'm sure all will be well in the end.

Albie
30-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I can understand your disappointments. Indicators can be sorted as replace airbox to stock. You can run a k&n with stock lid. Was it a s4 challenge bike then.
Termis are naturally twisted and never sit the same. How bad is it. All mine have been different. Just because we spend £500-1200 quid they don't do a fantastic job making them.
Take your time to assess it and write stuff down but it can all be sorted .

Petej
30-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear its not what you initially hoped! But seriously how ever hard you look at it you'll get it home and later find things you missed. It's got to happen to us all to a degree.

I have had a few disappointments with mine that have cost me a bit more than I had hoped to sort. But it's all worth it in the end bud!

Enjoy!

Pete

Marsh...
31-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks once again for your support. The saga now ends they offered me £100 to go towards sorting it. This I feel is ok and worth it so I can get on and get it fixed to my requirements. Hey ho nothings simple is it.

A happy and healthy new year to all. Regards Marsh