PDA

View Full Version : Shorty levers or Clutch slave cylinder?

simontt
25-12-2012, 11:58 PM
My daily commuting cover busy A roads and inner city streets which means a lot of low speed filtering and clutch lever pulling, to the extent that stopping at a traffic light mid point is a welcome relief for the very tired left hand.

Just wondering if shorty levers will help to reduce the strain/pressure from pulling the clutch lever?

Also A neighbour told me that Oberon clutch slave cylinder will also substantially reduce the pressure required to pull the clutch lever and lead to a smoother gear change as well.

http://www.spareshack.com/products/161/Oberon-Ducati-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder.php

Which option would be more effective?

utopia
26-12-2012, 12:37 AM
An aftermarket slave cylinder with a bigger dia piston wiil reduce the effort required at the lever by an amount proportional to the increased piston area. So yes, the Oberon should be effective, though I'm not familiar with your particular clutch, but that's what I'd do on mine. And Oberon stuff is decent.
The short levers will probably have very little effect at all, but if anything they'll make things worse as they offer less leverage. Most people probably grab short or long levers in roughly the same place anyway, but theoretically the longer ones would give a lighter action if you grabbed them right at their end. The downside of this though is the extra stretch of the fingers.

Gilps
26-12-2012, 07:12 AM
As sais above, short levers will be even worse. I get away with them on the 800 as it had a light clutch. The Oberon gets positive comments wherever I have seen it discussed.

d8mok
26-12-2012, 08:05 AM
I've got Oberon on my 848 and its a good bit of kit. I've also got asv shorty levers which are lovely but make it heavy again.

Personally I'd justnget the slave cylinder and some full length adjustable levers if clutch weight is a concern.

SunEye
26-12-2012, 08:11 AM
The issue is not actually the force required to move the clutch lever. In that respect the lever on an Evo is a lot lighter than many bikes. The issue is that the biting point is very early in the lever's movement and if the lever span is inappropriate for the size of your hands then you are trying to regulate the position of the lever at a point where your hand has the least strength to do so.

My suggestion would be to get some levers that allow you to get the levers closer to the bars. This puts the biting point in a position where you naturally have more strength and muscle control in your hand. You may even find levers that suit you better ergonomically as well. Be very careful and make sure that new levers are adjusted correctly so that they do fully engage/disengage the clutch in the position you set them to. I would also suggest regularly checking this between services. The clutch biting point on my Evo gradually moves towards the bars and so the clutch requires bleeding between services to maintain correct operation.

I actually use shorty levers on my Evo (which do make the lever pull harder), but as I have played bass guitar for over 25 years my left hand fingers have reasonable muscle control. I also don't commute in heavy traffic on my bike, so any issues are far less apparent to me.

manwithredbike
26-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Probably worth getting a set of hand grippers to exercise your hand(s). You'll get one on ebay for about a tenner and within a few weeks will build up hand and forearm strength. As posted above, it's all about force versus distance and whatever combination you end up with.

LVC
26-12-2012, 02:45 PM
My S4 has a bigger clutch slave and adjustable short levers - the slave cylinder is so much easier and with the adjustable levers you can set the bite point to be exactly where you want it.

Start with the slave cylinder and then adjustable levers (long or short) should see you right ;)

Dookbob
26-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I have tried sucessive clutch slave cylinders on a number of monsters, and without exception they have all been a big improvement on the original equipment ones. Makes you wonder why everyone else's cylinders are better than Ducatis but Ducati don't rise to the challenge and put a proper one on from the start.

gary tompkins
26-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Short lever will make it harder to operate unless you compensate with uprated slave

...or work out to develop better wrist/hand strength

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMs-4fUZd-k

Diego
26-12-2012, 07:00 PM
another nod for the slave cylinder. a must have for the commuter.

He11cat
26-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Adjustable levers and clutch slave change.
I have one bike with adjustable levers and an Oberon and one with 2 clutch springs taken out .

Both are good .
I have real problems with my hands now.
But both solutions have helped.
Adjustable levers good as well.

He11cat
26-12-2012, 09:41 PM
GT dare we click on that linky??? ;)

gary tompkins
26-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Aww.. go on go on go on

Scotty
27-12-2012, 04:22 PM
just operate the clutch less and ride faster whilst filtering ~:?

or maybe alter the final drive you you can travel slower with the clutch out

He11cat
27-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I have that you tube clip being something to do with the South Park Shake a weight!!!!!!
Or similar :)

Mark Taylor
27-12-2012, 05:01 PM
If you have a dry clutch - why not fit a few 5mm washers between the pressure plate & 'top hat' washers? :idea:
I fitted some to mine - light as a feather:thumbsup:

jerry
28-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Oberon is superb quality