PDA

View Full Version : Monster with hand brake option

silver beetle
15-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes!,it arrived last Sunday,be it in the back of a van.Any way.having admired it in the garage for over an hour,it was just crying out to be ridden(well I can always wash it when I get back).One hour later,knowing buying my third bike(998+Bonnie in garage),was the right decision,and having washed/hosed down bike,returned bike to garage.Fast foward 1 week and in trying to get Monster out of garage,yes its in neutral,side stand up,bike will not budge,question?,does this bike have a hand brake?,NO!,why wont it move?.Basically front caliper/pads locked on!!.I then work out,engage 1st,let out clutch slowly,bingo!,bike moves foward.Bike now seems ok.Please tell me that a combo of very cold weather/wet pads/calipers etc meant this should'nt happen too often.Awaiting comments etc ,Ta

Nickj
15-12-2012, 10:46 PM
The rotors are quite soft and the pads fly very close to the surfaces. Get a bit of damp on the pads or rotor face and you can get enough rust build up to stiffen or even make a wheel feel locked.
If you had looked you'd probably have seen a pad shape rust mark.

dunlop0_1
16-12-2012, 06:00 AM
How much free play do you have in the lever? If it is to little then as everything gets warm the pads begin to bind a small amount creating more heat and compounding the problem.

utopia
16-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I would say that washing the bike down and then returning it immediately to the garage was probably a major factor, as the discs would have still been very wet, particularly in the recent cold weather. I seldom do this, but I think I've had similar issues when I have done in the past.
Do you have std discs ? .....possibly someone has fitted aftermarket ones which may be of a material that is more susceptible to corrosion ....cast iron being the extreme example.
Also, I believe that the pistons rely on a slight deformation of the seals when the brake is applied in order for the pads to have clearance on the discs when brake pressure is released (I know this is the case for other systems, though have to admit I haven't studied the brembos in particular). It could be that the seals/pistons are a little worn and so the pads are not fully releasing from the discs as they should. This would probably show up as a tendency for the discs to drag a little under normal circumstances.
However, I think that wet discs is the most likely cause.