PDA

View Full Version : I've gone and done something stupid....

nambduke
13-12-2012, 11:13 PM
.......but what the hell.....

Ive bought a BMW M5 V10. Always wanted one and spotted a 2008 with only 22.5k miles. Horrendous fuel economy....many reports of unreliability but the noise of the V10 reving to over 8k rpm is intoxicating. It has full history, its in great condition....I just need to buy shares in an oil company now! I pick it up on Saturday.....

Regards,
Mark

Mohawk
13-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Good for you Mark, why not. Enjoy the new motor :-)

Albie
14-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Gppd for you. Even if you keep it for 3 months you are at least living your dream. Nowt wrong with that in my book

pegboy
14-12-2012, 07:24 AM
love these car, since i drove my friends, enjoy

MrsC_772
14-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Andy says he'd have bought one if they did a manual gearbox. We're both allergic to automatics - never driven one which doesn't suck.

Have fun!

scrapps
14-12-2012, 07:46 AM
NO I did the stupid thing when I sold my BMW msport to buy a focus tdi, great fuel econ but BORING. :banghead:
Enjoy the new toy.

J.P
14-12-2012, 09:21 AM
You can't beat a V10, well unless it's a V12... :)

gary tompkins
14-12-2012, 12:03 PM
390bhp + rear wheel drive & icy winter roads

What could possibly go wrong? :on:

steeevvvooo
14-12-2012, 01:19 PM
nice. Have one on my wishlist too :mand:

Stuartq
14-12-2012, 02:40 PM
390 BHP, try 507BHP.

I've driven one many times, mostly on twisty mountain roads and really given it a hard time.

I think the paddle shift is fine, I have 3 other cars with it and they all are enjoyable to drive.
When you shift down in sport mode the throttle is automatically blipped, the seat grip you in the corners, they are a great car and great fun too.

Enjoy it!

Gerry
14-12-2012, 02:51 PM
oh yes .... get in ! .....

gary tompkins
15-12-2012, 12:17 AM
390 BHP, try 507BHP.

I've driven one many times, mostly on twisty mountain roads and really given it a hard time.

I think the paddle shift is fine, I have 3 other cars with it and they all are enjoyable to drive.
When you shift down in sport mode the throttle is automatically blipped, the seat grip you in the corners, they are a great car and great fun too.

Enjoy it!

Your right I scanned the spec sheet and miss read the torque figure as BHP

500bhp... that is mental :eek:

Makes a good taxi though.. To quote Peter Kay "Have you been busy... what time do you get off?"

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcdM6yi47T0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcdM6yi47T0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Karl_h
15-12-2012, 01:22 PM
There's nothing stupid about that. Stupid would have been regretting never buying one when you had the chance! A truly wonderous and fantastically pointless engine in a 4 door saloon! WELL DONE!

nambduke
15-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Andy says he'd have bought one if they did a manual gearbox. We're both allergic to automatics - never driven one which doesn't suck.

Have fun!

I hate automatics as well.....glad mine is a manual with automatic actuation. Its classed as a semi manual gearbox SMG. The gear changes are instant when in level 6 mode but it doesnt drive like an automatic which I find infuriating because the changes are lazy......this gearbox isn't lazy its really fast and best of all, changing down, the computer automatically blips the throttle for an absolutely smooth downchange

Regards,
Mark

nambduke
15-12-2012, 10:01 PM

and all I can say is

WOW!

What a car. Ive been grinning from ear to ear all day. Really chuffed with it...

I always thought my monster was the devils bike.....well I now has his car as well!

Regards,
Mark

simontt
16-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Good to hear - would be interested to know how it fares over the long term especially in terms of reliability.

Have been deliberating for a year now as to whether or not to sell my E91 335i M sport for an an E61 M5 but I guess the arrival of the Mevo somehow made the delay in switching more bearable :)

nambduke
25-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Took my dad out in my M5 to demonstrate the acceleration........he said "it's got a bit of poke hasn't it". Smiled and then said....."just be careful...!!" I'm 53 and he's 76 and still working, bless him!

That's officially a bollocking in our family!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Best regards
Mark

nambduke
26-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Here's a pic of my new toy! Did my first full power acceleration test yesterday and soiled my pants! It's simply awesome!!
Regards
Mark
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/nambutler/M5/IMG_0535.jpg

steeevvvooo
26-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Just been told by the Mrs that's a "sensible" option because you can tow a bike. I really should have had this conversation with her earlier...

pegboy
27-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Just been told by the Mrs that's a "sensible" option because you can tow a bike. I really should have had this conversation with her earlier...

You might not be te fastest on the track but you'll definately be the fastest to and from it???:biggrin:

steeevvvooo
27-12-2012, 12:57 PM
You might not be te fastest on the track but you'll definately be the fastest to and from it???:biggrin:

Wonder if Desmodue rules allow me to tow a 53bhp bike around the track with an M5?! :biggrin:

Dirty
29-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Have fun!

Oddly they do a manual for the US market! :freak: Germans, you just can't guess em!

gary tompkins
29-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Here's a pic of my new toy! Did my first full power acceleration test yesterday and soiled my pants! It's simply awesome!!
Regards
Mark

At least the leather seats will be easy to wipe clean

Don't tell Shuffy.. he's still in shock from seeing your Porsche a few weeks ago

nambduke
29-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Oddly they do a manual for the US market! :freak: Germans, you just can't guess em!

But the euro sequential manual gearbox version is quicker and technically it isn't a true automatic in the true sense!

The America version SMG will only launch at 1500rpm whereas the euro version has launch control set at 4000rpm

The changes are rapid and acceleration is hard and linear!

Regards
Mark

Dirty
30-12-2012, 04:46 PM
But the euro sequential manual gearbox version is quicker and technically it isn't a true automatic in the true sense!

The America version SMG will only launch at 1500rpm whereas the euro version has launch control set at 4000rpm

The changes are rapid and acceleration is hard and linear!

Regards
Mark

Who cares about SMG when you can option a manual. A true manual. One with a clutch operated by your foot! I believe you can launch those at any revs you like!

Zak
30-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Ive got one, blue, cream leather, fully loaded with connect and all the toys, love the little touches, like the hard drive so it stores all my CDs and don't have to carry them in the car. Bought it new in 09 after my wife fell pregnant and we had to sell out 911 turbo, I wanted something 'sensible' but that would still make me grin, and it does, I've fallen in love with it, it really is a fantastic car.

banditloon
30-12-2012, 10:45 PM
.......but what the hell.....

Ive bought a BMW M5 V10. Always wanted one and spotted a 2008 with only 22.5k miles. Horrendous fuel economy....many reports of unreliability but the noise of the V10 reving to over 8k rpm is intoxicating. It has full history, its in great condition....I just need to buy shares in an oil company now! I pick it up on Saturday.....

Regards,
Mark

That's the same way I ended up with the Monster :chuckle:

Enjoy the new toy!! :D