PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else still riding?

mintyhit
12-12-2012, 08:34 AM
-4 this morning in London seemed enough to drive most two wheeled people off the road but it still beats the tube. :)

jamiedan2009
12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Still riding, but not on the monster - knackered old two stroke

pegboy
12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
heading out to bedford tomorrow thinking of a run up with the bike, but weather is telling me take the car

NattyBoy
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Sod that - done my fair share of winter commuting on 2 wheels.

Went running last night and couldnt even get any traction with my trainers on the pavements - let alone roads and tyres !

Yours from a big winter wuss...lol !

jonzi
12-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I've decided to become a big jessy this winter. Bike is tucked up in a garage with a UKMOC cover on.

Want to kill people daily on the tube though.

Why do people use headphones that broadcast their crap to every one else on the tube?
Why did the women who I asked politely if she could move her bag so I could sit down tell me to do every one a favour and die?
Why do people push on the tube and not let people get off?

I hate the tube.

mintyhit
12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Why did the women who I asked politely if she could move her bag so I could sit down tell me to do every one a favour and die?
Why do people push on the tube and not let people get off?
I hate the tube.

Just be thankful that it is not the Victoria line from Highbury. I actually consider myself lucky if I can jam my ass on the 3th or 4th train in the morning it is so crowded. The chances of getting a seat are comical. :)

J.P
12-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Nothing wrong with winter riding, but a lot wrong with riding when the road conditions are dangerous.
-4 degrees isn't going to offer you much grip....

Char
12-12-2012, 10:34 AM
yup - been to Thruxton today :thumbsup:

He11cat
12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Il still ride all winter.
Ride my Rat bike more though.

My monster got caked in road dirt the other week still have to clean the poor thing!
But its dark when I get home.

Did not have a car for years only bike so had to commute by bike had no choice .

Now can be a bit more selective.
Yesterday black ice everywhere so did then take the car.
A matter of looking at the road and being careful.
If lots of black ice I now wouldn't as don't heal like I did in my 20's!

pegboy
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Just be thankful that it is not the Victoria line from Highbury. I actually consider myself lucky if I can jam my ass on the 3th or 4th train in the morning it is so crowded. The chances of getting a seat are comical. :)

Haha, I am on the Highbury victoria line also, it drives me mad, and woman are the worst, I always offer my seat let them get on the train first even if i was there first, help with prams on the stairs, even rush ahead or wait to help, and very rearly do I get a thank you.

You don't get off at Green Park and this morning had a ducati back pack??

mintyhit
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Haha, I am on the Highbury victoria line also, it drives me mad, and woman are the worst, I always offer my seat let them get on the train first even if i was there first, help with prams on the stairs, even rush ahead or wait to help, and very rearly do I get a thank you.

You don't get off at Green Park and this morning had a ducati back pack??

Haha, tell me about it, I often find myself elbowed out of the way by mega-aggressive (nearly always immaculately dressed) business type women when trying to get on a carriage - they are the worst because they know most guys will capitulate before pushing back. :)

Not me this morning, I'm riding - when I take the tube I get off at Vauxhall so I get to bask in space and seats for a couple of stops after Victoria. Green park must be annoying is it clears right out after Oxford Circus.

Definitely the most tedious underground commute in London so fair and I've done a few.

utopia
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm still riding, though not on the monster....my dommie is an easier ride on greasy winter roads, and shrugs the salt off a little better.
Also, I don't have to do the daily commute any more, so don't have to contend with icy mornings if I choose not to.
I've recently put my car out on permanent loan, so I'm just running bikes all year these days.

gary tompkins
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Nope... especially now they have been gritting roads

I only live 3 miles from the office - Not worth kitting up for that and bike doesn't warm up properly

Haynee
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Not quite -4, but has been zero to 2 degrees here in Dublin and still commuting on the Monster.....and I out it down to the Pilot3 tyres, thought that it was just the wet where they excelled but they are just the job in the cold too.........a quick aside....on the way this morning...we had frost overnight ...but it was maybe +2 or 3 by morning....stopped at the lights in the city centre and a big scooter pulls up alongside (Bergman or similar)...glance across, and do a double take....the guy is wearing a (pale blue) wollen crew neck pullover over a shirt, regular trousers.....and.....sandals with socks....but he didn't look cool.

Char
12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Yup - me and my youngest at Thruxton at 10 this morning - Harcore :mand:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/Char66/mee.jpg

DrD
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Monster laid up for polishing (and little bits like Hyperpro Rear Shock fitting which of course demands complete sparkle across the rest of the bike when it comes out the garage!).
Did run it every day for two years once and had to rebuild it to get rid of the rust (even with ACF50 on it).
Spent 15 years running nothing but motorcycles so not an issue except safety.
Running around on a 650 single but not the last few days - live on steep hill and the back ice ensures the rear end wants to overtake the front so when it is -4C at 10.00am I plump for the 4 wheel drive Alfa V6.

tricolore
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Have to say after being stuck on the M6 today for 3 hours and seeing some guy filtering through the traffic it still makes some sense. Not for me though !!

MrsC_772
12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Rode on Monday but yesterday and today looked out the window at the extent of the frost and ice and decided the 4WD Scooby with winter tyres was the sensible choice.

uksurfer
12-12-2012, 06:23 PM
last time i rode in the cold was the 11 nov, left the house at 0, temp gauge hit 1, then back to 0 and didnt rise, im not sure if the gauge goes to minus figures

i'm sure now that i ride for pleasure, not necessity, and the thought of going in the car is most pleasurable.

I rode at the weekend, it was 8 degrees and sunny and nice

still using summer gloves

real men ride twins :-)

FLATTOP
12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
When i drove through Rayliegh in Essex this morning on my way up to cambridgeshire it was minus 6 and there was still bikes on the road, pure pleasure for me these days no way that i would risk it what a wooss:chuckle:

Scott1
12-12-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm still riding in to work every day, only eight miles, it's covered in WD40 and ACF50, as long as its not raining or snowing I'll ride in, always have. Trains and tubes I don't mind but I hate buses.

Nickj
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Minus something for the last two days and some freezing fog thrown in for entertainment, It's not warm for sure but the tyres are sticking OK and I'm wrapped up like the michelin man, the pain is minor and transient :banghead: .
If it gets really ****ty I'll either take a snow day or get out and play in the 4WD

satan916
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Still riding the M900, and will do all through the Winter (no license for a box) and shall be over Xmas and New Year as I'm working then too (Ard as nails me, or am I brain dead ?)

Paivi
13-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Commuting on the trusted old Vespa, like every winter. Only if there's snow on the ground will she get a rest and I'll work from home.

The Monster will stay garaged until next summer now, as by the time it gets warm, I'm due my ankle operation, so no riding for the next six months or so. :(

urbanfireblade
13-12-2012, 06:38 PM
My 600 Monster is still being used for commuting. It doesn't get baby'd and wrapped up. There to be used. Its ok in the evenings coming home from work but going to work at 5.30am its a different ballgame. Only mishap so far was my rear wheel stepping out on a slippery rectangular manhole cover as i turned left onto a main road, front missed but the back just caught it and proceeded to slide sideways across the rest of it :chuckle:. Heated grips are the No.1 best thing you can have. No.2 are my handguards to stop windchill. Still using my summer race gloves too!
Washed bike 10 days ago, amazing to see how clean it is underneath all the road grime!
Only about 4 miles or so to my place of work, but enough for the engine to die at traffic lights if i'm not careful. Seems <2 degrees C i start to suffer carb icing which sucks. Running super unleaded at the mo but not made a whiff of difference tbh.

pegboy
13-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I decided on the bike for my trip to Bedford today and I wish I had gone in the car. I had seven layers of clothing two being thermal and two wind proof and still flippen cold.

As uksuurfer mentioned, I to will ride for pleasure not necessity, not to mention the crap on my baby. So the bikes will be tucked up to sleep, and will start working on them for next year when the mercury rises a bit more.

NewMon
14-12-2012, 10:01 AM
My bike is fuelled, taxed, insured, MOT'd, charged and ready to go. I'm out if it isn't freezing.

Nottsbiker
14-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Still riding, but not on the monster - knackered old two stroke

Strange as I keep hearing / seeing you ride past my office in Arnold ;)

He11cat
14-12-2012, 12:23 PM
He sounds the the business socks and sandals ... And pale blue crew neck ?
You sure he was on a scooter and not a chrome monster?

Nickj
14-12-2012, 07:49 PM
twas a luverly day today, bit of rain but felt so warm.. :idea: Oh and don't remember get out on the bike as much as poss as it's the end of the world on the 21st

Saint aka ML
14-12-2012, 09:32 PM
I ride but for fun only. Today was lovely, moist but was lucky as no real rain.

It is ok to ride in -4 even -8 as long as you use roads that are gritted and frequently used.

alan c
15-12-2012, 04:19 PM
My son's still riding as he uses bike to get to work, he slid off on Thursday at 2.30 in the morning, there was a burst pipe pouring up through a pothole in the road and the area was frozen ! he managed to slow down but as he hit the ice he lost the rear end. He banged his knee, elbow and shoulder but was ok. The bike was not to bad, good old R&G crash bungs did the job, snapped footpeg and mirror and scuffes to end of fairing and engine cassing.
I went out and took photos and we phoned the council to send compensation form. when my son phoned the next day the council said that they would log the problem on the system and get someone out to have a look at the road ! i cannot believe that nothing had been done, it had been very cold all week.

Lets hope council cough up for the damage, it could have been a lot worse !

NewMon
15-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I managed to find some time to go out today. Not cold and even the roads were dry in places. got a load of fun miles in to keep me on my toes, and to let the bike know who is boss.

Char
15-12-2012, 04:36 PM
My son's still riding as he uses bike to get to work, he slid off on Thursday at 2.30 in the morning, there was a burst pipe pouring up through a pothole in the road and the area was frozen ! he managed to slow down but as he hit the ice he lost the rear end. He banged his knee, elbow and shoulder but was ok. The bike was not to bad, good old R&G crash bungs did the job, snapped footpeg and mirror and scuffes to end of fairing and engine cassing.
I went out and took photos and we phoned the council to send compensation form. when my son phoned the next day the council said that they would log the problem on the system and get someone out to have a look at the road ! i cannot believe that nothing had been done, it had been very cold all week.

Lets hope council cough up for the damage, it could have been a lot worse !

Sorry to hear that Alan - my sons out on his 125 every day to - takes me back a few years and glad I have the car - but with car insurance over 3k there's not much choice apart from stay at home and scounge of the state :nash:

alan c
15-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan - my sons out on his 125 every day to - takes me back a few years and glad I have the car - but with car insurance over 3k there's not much choice apart from stay at home and scounge of the state :nash:

Thanks Char, same with my son, he has not started car lessons, even if he did not sure he could afford insurance etc. Not nice getting a call at 2.30 in the morning to say he had come off, just pleased he was ok. I went out and took pictures of the state of the road and then drove behind him when he rode the bike home without a foot peg !

I am proud of him as he always works hard, he is working for agency at the moment on traffic managment ( putting bollards out and patroling when road works at night are being carried out.

i gave him my 600 Fazer when i got a car for work. i used to ride right through the winter up until this year, the old bones cannot take it anymore !