PDA

View Full Version : tools?

dukiwi
19-12-2003, 04:22 PM
hi,

i'm looking for a good quality socket set, and was wondering if anyone had any brand recommendations. i'm willing to pay up for a good one...mybe not snap-on prices but good money al lthe same. can anyone recommend anything?

rich

spidermonkey
19-12-2003, 07:45 PM
rich iam a trailer fitter for a living, i use halfords proffesional very good and not to exspensive , if if you can get one i also use armstrong a bit more exspensive but very good and cheaper than snap on and id say better to.
steve

Pedro
19-12-2003, 10:00 PM
I use Halfords stuff too and am impressed. Having said that, I do have a few top quality bits where needed. Snap-On and Teng Tools are great but pricey. I have a Snap-On breaker bar ad Torque wrench - saves my knuckles etc.....

Ped

NattyBoy
20-12-2003, 11:22 AM
I picked up a draper set for £20 (half price !) from the Ally Pally show 2 years ago and its perfectly fine for what I want.

gary tompkins
20-12-2003, 02:29 PM
I have a Draper 3/4" drive set thats lasted over ten years, and a Halfords 1/2 & 1/4" drive set that I got as an xmas pressie 2 years ago. The fact that the Draper sets lasted that long says a lot for it's quality (cost about £50) and the Halfords stuff is good too, but the plastic cases are naff - mine broke after a few months.

A good set of ratchet spanners is a worthwhile buy, they get into smaller spaces than a socket set and are faster to use than conventional ring/open spanners. ;)

A Yerbury
20-12-2003, 02:40 PM
men and tools eh? (Im a halfords chap meself) If its monster related then they re fine. Be warned tough that ducati threads are p easy to tear through (maybe just me not knowing my own strength etc..yawn)

Duncan
20-12-2003, 03:22 PM
I have a set of Britool sockets bought as an apprentice some 20 or so years ago and they still work like new. I bought some Kamasa sockets about the same time and have snapped a few but they were OK too.
With tools always buy the best you can afford and think of the cash they will save you, not the initial expense.

Best tool is 'Thor' the hide mallet ideal for beating the crap out of things.

Billy Bigwheels
20-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Agree with the above - best tools for life imo are - Snap-On, Teng & britool.

Desmodue
20-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Buy Halfords Professional or Brittool

Hex is stronger than bi-hex, but does limit 'access' in tight spots

gary tompkins
20-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Oh forgot to say that if you want a good adjustable - you cant beat a 10" King **** (fnar fnar) Thought I'd get that one in before the smutmeister Didge picks up on this thread and lowers the tone :rolleyes:

:D

dukiwi
21-12-2003, 04:37 AM
thanks for your views, all. now tossing up between the 3/8" britool or king ****.

(come on...tossing? tool? king ****? even the most reserved among you should be able to forge a smutty remark from that lot)