PDA

View Full Version : tired of tyres, a thailand saga

jerry
12-12-2012, 02:46 AM
need new tyres for my Ducati ,..... super sport type tyres but in thailand that is not easy as USA or europe

dont want pirelli again they are good but not entirely happy with them , rear slides too much on diablo rosso core 3s and front turn in is poor long life though

dont like bridgestone either or michelin pilot road or pilot sport from bad previous experience

prefer dunlops metzlers and even maxxis or contis from good experience in UK

checking availablity in Thailand

Pirelli, Dunlop, bridgestone, shinko , maxxis and metzlers are theoreticaly available but at present there is very little stock when i phone all the major dealers and wholesalers they either dont have the latest tyres , or correct size???
and a lot of what is available is OEM fitment such as local dunlops which have a different compound to the EU ,USa Roadsmarts and not same quality .

main pirelli dealer/importer Show Pow is very low on stock of road sport tyres , the wholesale guys around National stadium also seem very low on stock they all say waiting for shipments long time ,

Paddock very low on metzlers Huh??they are the main distributer
red baron the biggest dealer in Thailand only bridgestone in stock

also a lot of stock has old manufacturing numbers meaning its now 3-4 years old stock ! on examination at 2 dealers in Pattaya the new tyre stocks were showing deteriation due to age ,

why is there such a shortage of tyres for big bikes seems every one is waiting for delivery???

then there is the price . in Uk I can buy the latest Dunlops or Metzlers for under £200 a pair thats 10,000 baht here in thailand I am being quoted average 10,000 for rear tyre alone usually about 18-19k a pair !!!!!!!! thats just under £400 ouch !!

so whats to be done , well i will be in UK soon and measuring up my suitcase can get a pair in it .so have ordered 3 pairs of tyres in UK a set of Maxxis 6029 super Sports and a set of Dunlop Road smarts and a set of conti sport attacks . total cost for all 6 tyres was £469 ($ 700 )thats 24,000 baht incl postage to my dads house for 6 tyres all are brand new manufactured in last 6 months , sizes and profile choice is vast . and less than 8,000 baht a pair £180

one pair will go on my Monster in UK the other 2 pairs will come here .

So guys my main advice here is do check the manufacturing dates on locally available tyres you might get a shock, also remember that some locally availble tyres are actually OEM that means for instance that Dunlop or bridgestone supply a tyre for Honda to a specific specification , it may have same name as after market lets say dunlop Sportmax but it is not the same tyre at all, check part number on side wall its a bit of a minefield .

Headhunter
12-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Jerry, I have exactly the same problem.

It's like petrol - stations don't have much mark up, so for major markets like the UK etc where there's high turnover it's not a problem or for showrooms it's just a case of having some additional stock based on high probability someone will need a Diablo 120/60 etc.

I have to do the same as you. Get them ordered online to Parents' house or in-laws - use my annual flight to the UK - bring 'em back as oversized luggage.

The other option I sometimes do, given cost of shipping them over, is whack DVDs etc inside the carcass/packaging. Doesn't add much to the cost.