PDA

View Full Version : Bogus motor insurance claim

ducmax64
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Has anyone had a false insurance claim made against you? ... I've had just that reported to my insurance company 3 weeks ago. When I tried to explain to my insurance that at the time of the claimed accident me and my bike were over 200miles away in a different city, so how could this person of seen my registration let alone get hold of my insurance detail to make the claim!?..Now I've received a letter from my Insurance claiming my bike was driven by a person of the opposite sex to me and the claim will still need to be investigated. I pointed out my bike is only insured for me to ride and my policy does not cover any other rider which makes any claims against my insurer void, so what is there to investigate, as the person making this bogus claim will need to take out a personal claim if that what they are claiming is true. My insurance state they still need to follow up on this reported claim which I find rather confusing and slightly worrying.
Can anyone advise me on what action I can take, as I've already contacted my local police but they are saying it's an insurance issue (not very helpful) even though I said it's a bogus claim

Ducmax.

Funkatronic
09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
give rider support services (http://www.ridersupport.com) a call and explain the situation

they have been amazing with my various claims, no win no fee. if you can prove you were elsewhere (reciepts/cc card statement for purchases made that day/time) and that no one else could have ridden your bike then i reckon it will be easy to resolve

how can they know it was a female anyway did the person stop? maybe your bikes number plate has been cloned?

Mohawk
09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
it may be a simple mistake where the third party has taken down the reg' number incorrectly. their own insurance company may have then obtained your insurance details through the insurance database. Does sometimes happen and usually gets sorted out. Hope you get the confusion sorted out fairly easily.

He11cat
10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
hmmm .... I suspect your plates been cloned its becoming very common sadly.
That and actually stealing plates to put on another vechicle to use for a crime.

scrapps
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM
The only other option I can think of is ANPR cameras.
Most towns and major roads have them on now to monitor traffic,I am not sure if you can get hold of details or how long ANPR data is held ?
It's used a lot by police to track/follow car-bike movement.

jonzi
10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Surely they have to prove it was you? Innocent until proven guilty and all that

I second RSS, they are helping me with my claim and have been great at every point.

Mohawk
17-12-2012, 06:54 PM
wondering how you'd got on sorting this out. Any news?

ducmax64
06-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Fellow members thank you all for your replies and advise on this issue of the bogus insurance claim I've been involved in, and the good news is Mohawk you were right in your assumption and my insurer has now confirmed it was a case of mistaken identity (incorrect number plate). Again I like to thank you all for your support and hope I can be as helpful to another member in the future.

Happy New Year
Ducmax

Mohawk
06-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Good news Ducmax, glad you got it sorted. And a Happy New Year to you :-)