PDA

View Full Version : Termi fitting heeeelllppp!

Desmo Dreaming
05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Evening peeps!

I am hoping I can scavenge some advice off the forum once more, this time regarding the 2nd hand Termi's I bought for my 2001 S4.

I didn't notice when they arrived in the post but it seems I am missing some bits out of the fitting kit. It seems I am missing some spacers/shims that fit to the footrest hangers to allow enough clearance between the swing arm and the footrest hangers.

I have contacted Ducati and they have advised that (as I suspected) the fitting kit is no longer available.

From what I have read the original kit came with 8 spacers, 4 thick and 4 thinner jobbies. Does anyone know what actual size they were please?

I know I will find it near impossible to get actual replacements so I think the only way is to make some from a length of bar stock aluminium. However I dont want it to be a complete bodge so I am after the specs for the original spacers.

Can anyone help please?

I realise its cold and the sofa is very comfy but if you could go out to the garage and measure yours up I would be well chuffed.

utopia
06-12-2012, 01:04 AM
On my 750....

Fat ones...0.470 in
Thin ones...0.395 in
Which must be about 12mm & 10mm.
And 30mm o.d. 10mm hole

My advice, from experience of fitting mine, is to start by buying yourself a bag of cheap, steel washers of suitable dia and set it all up using however many of those you need to get good clearance, before getting any proper spacers made. I had to add washers to my spacers here and there to get it all to fit nicely.
You'll also be needing longer bolts to suit. That might be tricky if you don't already have them, though someone like pro-bolt might be worth a try...I know they do the std length.

Oh, and the spacers are all drilled to around 10mm, even though four of the bolts are 8mm.
Don't oversize the holes as there's not a great deal of contact surface. A minimal clearance on the bigger bolts is best. My fat bolts measure 0.390 in.

By now you'll be wondering.......
My old footrests, complete with bolts and spacers (not for sale) are hanging on the shed wall.

Darkness
06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
And before you start taking out bolts, check which ones are holding the side stand on, so you can get the bike on a paddock stand or do something else to stop it falling over.

LVC
06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Just had a quick look at mine (2001 S4 with Termis) for you and there seems to be naff all other than a 1mm "washer" on the brake pedal side of the bike and about 10mm on the gearbox pedal side. I assume we're talking about the spacers between the frame and the footrest hangers that "push" the footrest out away from the frame - couldn't see any other spacer anywhere else?

Way too dark and cold to get an accurate measurement but could do tomorrow if you're really stuck as I'll need to move the bike out (parked too close to the others to get at the LHS).