PDA

View Full Version : Fitting the Bikini Fairing

Wildfire
03-12-2012, 11:14 PM
So I've got one. yet to fit it. Where does it bolt to? 95 M600.

Reaperman
03-12-2012, 11:22 PM
How big is it? is it just a visor type arrangement or is it a full on fairing type jobbie?

Wildfire
03-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Carbon fairing with a windscreen. It has 2 bolt holes on each side of the metal bars. Do they go on the indicator stalks?

gary tompkins
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
There are lot's of different styles of fairing both factory and aftermarket

You need to post some photo's

Wildfire
04-12-2012, 07:14 PM
I'll try and get some photos. It's a Ducati Performance Carbon one.

johnboy44
04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm a bit dissappointed, I thought after reading the title this thread would be pics of Bikini clad girls drapped over the lastest monsters

Nickj
05-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Evostick gripfill, it'll also take out any little gaps.

Probably uses the bolts that retain the headlamp shell, some also came with some stays that mounted to an ally part that fitted to the top yoke.

Wildfire
12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Ok, seems to bolt to the top yoke, using the 4 retaining bolts but they aren't long enough. Any idea where I can get some the right length?

bialbero
12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
your local hardware store

gary tompkins
12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
If it's the old style screen with a bent and welded bar bracket like this

http://www.ducatiparts-online.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/Ducati%20Parts%20Online%202012-10-16%20om%2011.57.01%20PM.jpg

http://www.ducatiparts-online.com/content/ducati-headlight-top-fairing-cowling-screen-monster-yellow-including-brackets-0

You do need longer bolts in top yoke fork clamps with tube steel spacers behind

FLATTOP
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Concerning the longer bolts these people are a good bet they stock almost everything.

http://www.southessexfasteners.com/

Dukedesmo
12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
You do need longer bolts in top yoke fork clamps with tube steel spacers behind

I wondered why the bolts in mine were longer and have spacers, I'm guessing that it previously had such a screen fitted...

http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/files/9/3/7/0/img_0412a.jpg

Wildfire
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Just ordered some SS bolts, swap?

Dukedesmo
14-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Just ordered some SS bolts, swap?

Well I have a Carbon-fibre fairing that I may yet fit, not sure if it uses the same fitting method? (I don't have any brackets) so I may need them yet. But I'll probably replace the bolts with SS items anyway when I get around to it.

I can measure the bolt & spacer lengths for you though, if you'd like.

gary tompkins
14-12-2012, 12:06 PM
The bent bar bracket kits do come up for sale - do a websearch

The later screen (2000 onwards) uses less substantial and pretty minimal fixing brackets

After market ones usually come with a dedicated set of brackets - often mounting to headlamp bolts

Dukedesmo
14-12-2012, 12:33 PM
The bent bar bracket kits do come up for sale - do a websearch

The later screen (2000 onwards) uses less substantial and pretty minimal fixing brackets

After market ones usually come with a dedicated set of brackets - often mounting to headlamp bolts

Just looked at my screen and it looks as if it may need the same brackets - so that's sometthing else I need to buy (or make).

There are 3 holes per side so looking like it would need the bracket as shown above;

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=16774&d=1355491922

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=16775&d=1355491933

utopia
14-12-2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/files/9/3/7/0/img_0412a.jpg

So what fits to the little flats on the front of the top yoke, in line with the fork tubes ?
I'd always assumed that these were fixing points for a screen, and my homemade one was designed to do just that.
I made it out of the aftermarket screen which came with the bike but originally fitted to the headlamp bolts, which was a very mickey mouse arrangement that messed with the headlight adjustment and was generally a crap design.
The new setup works really well, though it is just a very short screen, so there's not a lot of wind pressure/leverage on it. Its solid as a rock though, and it can also now be removed without disturbing anything else, and the headlamp can adjusted or opened independantly too.

I guess pics would help....I really must learn how to do that.

Any local screw stockist should be able to supply suitable bolts. I use "All Screwed Up" in leicester, partly cos they're dead helpful and will sell me a single bolt if thats all I need, and partly cos I like the name.

gary tompkins
15-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Just looked at my screen and it looks as if it may need the same brackets - so that's sometthing else I need to buy (or make).

There are 3 holes per side so looking like it would need the bracket as shown above;

Not sure the early style brackets will work with that screen. Looks like one sold under the Ducati Performance banner, and may need matching brackets. The front mounting holes look like they'll pick up on headlamp bolts, but you'll need to offer it up to see. Top holes near the screen would probably be for a steady bracket that will attach to handlebar clamp or top yoke.

gary tompkins
15-12-2012, 12:40 AM
So what fits to the little flats on the front of the top yoke, in line with the fork tubes ?
I'd always assumed that these were fixing points for a screen, and my homemade one was designed to do just that.
I made it out of the aftermarket screen which came with the bike but originally fitted to the headlamp bolts, which was a very mickey mouse arrangement that messed with the headlight adjustment and was generally a crap design.
The new setup works really well, though it is just a very short screen, so there's not a lot of wind pressure/leverage on it. Its solid as a rock though, and it can also now be removed without disturbing anything else, and the headlamp can adjusted or opened independantly too.

I guess pics would help....I really must learn how to do that.

Any local screw stockist should be able to supply suitable bolts. I use "All Screwed Up" in leicester, partly cos they're dead helpful and will sell me a single bolt if thats all I need, and partly cos I like the name.

The flat area with tapped holes were used to mount indicators on early bikes, but these were used for screen mounting bracket on the later versions. A small L bracket fixes there to secure the top half of the fairing

Dukedesmo
15-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I have got some small 'L' shaped brackets that fit to the front of the yoke, not sure what they're for? as I've not really assembled that part yet so will discover what brackets are required when I'm at that stage - hopefully soon... :scratch:

Wildfire
15-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Ok. have bolts, I just need to make up some spacers. I've also gone on a SS Bolt mission and will be replacing a lot of the bolts with SS ones. What have I started...

gary tompkins
15-12-2012, 05:34 PM
You shouldn't use stainless bolts in high stress safety critical areas

They are not as strong as normal plated high tensile steel

Wildfire
15-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Ah.. ok. I have a SS engine bolt kit. Will get some non SS bolts for the fairing. Any idea what I can do about the spacers?

gary tompkins
16-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Find a bit of steel tube the right diameter and cut it to length

Or a piece of alloy bar cut to size and drill a clearance hole on the middle

utopia
16-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Bear in mind that the spacers need to be all accurately cut to the same length and faced off square at both ends, otherwise the clamping of the top yoke to the fork legs may be compromised.
Simply cutting with a hacksaw and filing roughly square would be inadequate in my opinion....you need someone with a lathe to make them up.....pm me the dimensions if you're stuck and I could probably make you some, though I would add a nominal charge.
You may be best to set it all up using a bag of suitable washers to make up some temporary spacers at first, to get the sizes right, before making the proper spacers.

gary tompkins
16-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Bar or tube only needs to be as big as bolt head on cap screw.. I'm guessing 10mm

Small enough to fit in an electric drill chuck, which I spin it in and use a file or or demel to face square

Don't have luxury of a lathe or easy access to someone to turn for me... so have to improvise

Wildfire
16-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks Utopia. I will get the dimensions as soon as I get hold of my vernier caliper. The holes are M6, and I think it it's a DIN 912. Charge is not a problem.

I'll give it a go with a bunch of washers first.

Dukedesmo
16-12-2012, 05:40 PM
If it's any help; the bolts in mine are M8 x 45mm and the spacers are 13.5mm long, 12mm O.D. and 8.2mm I.D.