PDA

View Full Version : would it be illegal ?

scrapps
29-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I am planning to go on the Whistable toy run taking toys etc to local Hospitals and was going to wear my ZIPPY suit. (shown in my avatar) Would I be breaking any laws/rules by doing this ?
The head is around a crash hat and does not obscure my view and I would have leathers on under it.
Just thought I would run it past a few folks to see if I am likely to be stopped ? on the run it would not be too bad as part of a very large group of people, but I would be riding back on my own so could be distracting to other drivers. (not able to put in rucksack for return as too big)

Pomp1
29-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Illegal probably not, maybe unsafe on the helmet front because it would impair your freedom of movement. Doubt it will fall under distraction to other road users when the Top Gear presenters they get up to all sorts of antics on the road.Best check with your Traffic Police. they'll be able to help.

slob
29-11-2012, 07:26 PM
My experience is the cops always say 'no', regardless of what the law is, just to be on the safe side.

Saint aka ML
29-11-2012, 07:34 PM
My experience is the cops always say 'no', regardless of what the law is, just to be on the safe side.

Agreed. I always wanted to ask one are you smart?

Petej
29-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Think you would probably get a tug, but wouldn't be more than a 'don't do it again, if they knew the reasons I doubt you would have much bother...

Could you remove the head for the majority of the ride?

Rally
29-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd go for it Rick, just for the hell of it. You can ride with just a helmet on and pants if you wish, as there is no legal requirement for protection at present apart from the helmet. As to the distracting other road users, they shouldn't be so nosey! :D

chris yeatman
29-11-2012, 08:22 PM
wouldnt worry about it, just do it, it would be awesome to see the kids faces!

Nickj
29-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Hmmm ECB/2008/32 or maybe EU Module 1 Specification Version 1.4.1 which cover the use of covers used on motorcycle helmets whilst in motion.

As long as you can see and the view is no worse than usual then it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a couple of visible toys ... No the bike doesn't count ... then unless the local plod has a quota to fill then you ought to be OK.

He11cat
29-11-2012, 10:31 PM
The head gear may get you ticked off.
However see plenty of people on toy runs dressed up and Easter .
I reckon if you where tugged you'd get a slapped wrist only .
I'd just go for it.

LVC
30-11-2012, 07:56 AM
I can see the headlines now ...

"Police arrest Zippy whilst travelling back from giving toys to kids"

Excellent PR for plod there - do it and post some piccies :thumbsup:

gary tompkins
30-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd go for it Rick, just for the hell of it. You can ride with just a helmet on and pants if you wish, as there is no legal requirement for protection at present apart from the helmet. As to the distracting other road users, they shouldn't be so nosey! :D

The other road users will probably be too busy texting, talking on mobile, shouting at the kids, changing CD's, fiddling with iPod, setting up sat nav, stuggling to see through frosted windows, or trying to keep the dog under control to even notice.

scrapps
30-11-2012, 09:33 AM
I am going to do the run as Zippy as lots of people and children do turn out to see the bikes and also wave from the road side.
I think I will dig the Multistada out from the back of the garage and use it as I can then use the topbox to carry a spare lid for the ride home.
I was going to take the ss as most of the ride is stop/start and a average speed of 20 mph (not easy on a multi)

scrapps
30-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Loving the Avatar Gary.

Reaperman
30-11-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd say go for it, unless the cops are at every stage of the toy run I doubt you'll get stopped.

He11cat
30-11-2012, 04:05 PM
And .... Sticking my neck out .
Not all policemen are bad.
My local boys are pretty cool about stuff especially bikes :)
A bike got nicked. By me and one came by to say was it mine?
When I said no he said saw one had gone and just hoped it wasn't one of yours.
Which is a nice thing to do.
Plus where fab at our mag demos

scrapps
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I'd say go for it, unless the cops are at every stage of the toy run I doubt you'll get stopped.

Some times the police are on the run stopping traffic at junctions before marshals take over leapfrogging each other to let the bikes past. Some days you get 70-80 bikes if weathers good it can be up to 300-400 bikes.
The run out to hospital is very slow as its a very large mixed group of bikes. I don't think will be a issue.
I will find out Sunday afternoon :mand:

scrapps
05-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Well Zippy did the Whistable toy run on his 600ss looking a very bright and cheerful vision of yellow and Ducati red.
The run was great fun with loads of bikes due to the sunny day,Zippy had loads of fun waving to people young and old on his way from Whistable to the QEQM hospital in Margate.
Zippy was asked by the nurses at the hospital if he could spare some time to go up to the children's ward and give some presents to the kids too ill to come down and see the bikes,this was a great fun giving Zippy a warm feeling inside and making his trip very special.

I will try to post a picture if I can work out how to post a picture from this iPad thingy onto the site :banghead:

J.P
05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Legally you need to wear a helmet, but nothing else.

If a policeman were to pull you, it would because your vision was impaired by the head, or you couldn't control the levers or break/gear pedal because the suit might catch on something.

Take those into account and you'll be fine

gary tompkins
05-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh... and make sure your frame number isn't hidden from view :chuckle:

Char
05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Legally you need to wear a helmet, but nothing else.

If a policeman were to pull you, it would because your vision was impaired by the head, or you couldn't control the levers or break/gear pedal because the suit might catch on something.

Take those into account and you'll be fine

If he's only wearing a helmet as per JP's suggestion everything will be on view not just the frame number

utopia
05-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Nice one, Zippy.
You ARE the shiny one.

....from jeffrey.

Liz
06-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Well done Zippy! :biggrin: