PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

Magic1971
28-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Upgrading exhaust someone got a new micron set on eBay for a 620 03 plate wondered if anyone knew if they would go on my
M600 year 2000 cheers

utopia
28-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Do I remember correctly....that your requirements for a replacement exhaust were a little more noise and improved bottom end rather than extra top end power.
re, the latter, in my opinion my 750 ran rather better at the bottom end when I put hi-level cans on it. I put this down, at least in part, to the extra exhaust length due to the hi-level extension pipes.
This is just my personal opinion, though it does somewhat tally with expectations from any rudimentary calculations that I have attempted to do.
Might be worth considering if you're looking for new pipes and don't have an aversion to hi-levels.

Magic1971
28-11-2012, 12:37 PM
You're memory serves you well! Yes that's what I'd prefer and also quite like high level pipes, is it just a case of getting hold of some high level link pipes then putting whatever slipons I fancy on ??? Cheers

utopia
28-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I think most are a pair of link pipes which fit to dedicated hi-level cans, the whole lot being supplied together. That's how my termis are.
I think I've also seen cans which have the extension pipes welded in to the cans in a pair of one piece, hi-level units.
But I'm not aware of any link pipes which allow you to use the std cans, or your choice of aftermarket can.
Then again, I'm sure there are many companies who would make you up a pair of link pipes to suit a can of your choice, but that would be the complicated route.

Either way, you'll probably need to fit spacers about 10mm thick behind the footrest brackets to move them out enough for the link pipes to have clearance behind them. This also means that you need a set of (4) footrest bracket bolts which are also 10mm longer, and this is the tricky bit as they're not just your std shape bolt. The other option would be to fit rearsets which might avoid the problem.
A secondhand set of pipes would hopefully include all this though. They seem to come up secondhand fairly frequently, possibly when people put a bike back to std when they sell it.
My titanium, baffle-free termis came with all the bits and pieces, secondhand but mint, for £300. They are a fraction too loud though. I would advise a set which included baffles. You can always take 'em out.