PDA

View Full Version : Is this bike too cheap??

Seb_uk
28-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi All
I'm not a new member but it's been a hell of a long time since I've posted on here so this seemed like the sensible place to post.
I regretably sold my last bike a 2007 695 last year and have been hankering after another one for quite a while now. Unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch to another 695 (people are asking unrealisticly high amounts for them on eBay). Anyway, I saw this bike on ebay last night:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MONSTER-600-M-REG-RED-/281030765932?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item416ebd2d6c

Ok, so it's a bit of a step down from an 07 695, but it could be just what I need to get back on the Monster ladder. My only concern is it seems a bit TOO cheap. Ok, the mileage is high and it's 18 years old, but I would still imagine it would fetch £1200 or so. I emailed the seller to ask about history, etc and he said it is documented up to 11,000 (currently on 28,000!!), however it has been serviced twice in the last year and the belts were done in 2010 at 25000 miles. It looks reasonably clean in the photos, especially considering it's age, So I'm extremely tempted to buy. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Headhunter
28-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Does seem a bit cheap given average on Bike Trader is 1,400.

Obviously going to need new belts and a bunch of unexpected items will no doubt come up, so just need to decide whether it's worth your time putting in extra work on your side or keep saving until something newer becomes available within your budget.

Although it could turn out to be a great buy that just needs some TLC here and there. Looks in great condition on the surface.

PedroII
28-11-2012, 10:35 AM
It's red though. Silver ones are far better: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=45879

utopia
28-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Does seem cheap, particularly from a dealer rather than a private sale, but then again it is damn nearly a 20yr old motorcycle, with high mileage.
Maybe its one that the dealer has taken in part exchange for another bike, in which case he may be selling it on at the price he paid as he's already made his profit on the other bike...?
On the other hand, maybe it has horrendous piston slap, shot wheel and headrace bearings etc.
It looks good enough to be worth checking out though, if you're nearby.

If your budget stretches that far though, I'd say that Pedro11's 750 would be a nicer bike to own, and would have similar performance to your 695.
I don't know Pedro, but I do know carby 750s, and they make a great bike.

Seb_uk
28-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Ah well, looks like somebody already beat me to it with a deposit.

Thanks for the advice. Pedro's bike is nice but slightly out of my budget at the moment (I think the other half would shoot me if I blew £1400 on a bike this close to xmas :-P)

The search goes on - Something will turn up :rolleyes:

Nickj
28-11-2012, 12:24 PM
High mileage ... splutters .... It looks to have done something like the current average PA for bikes these days which seems just enough to have got to the local garage and back but only on a sunny day.
Decided to get out for a scoot around this morning as the sun was peeking out through the clouds and it wasn't particularly cold for a jaunt, we sailed past the 54K mark the other side of Builth. That's a 7 year younger Monster too!!
Back with a smile and thinking some new tyres might be an idea.

It'll be the recession, an old bike, a poor market plus probably came in as a PX so a quick unload is always good.

PedroII
28-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Considering it needs belts done i'm taking offers of £1300.00, that leaves you £80 extra for bling and £20 for a pizza express coupon for the other half - bargain!

Seb_uk
28-11-2012, 12:30 PM
High mileage ... splutters .... It looks to have done something like the current average PA for bikes these days which seems just enough to have got to the local garage and back but only on a sunny day.

Thinking about it you're probably right - I put 16k on my 695 in three years so 28k on an 18yr old bike isn't that high...

Seb_uk
28-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Considering it needs belts done i'm taking offers of £1300.00, that leaves you £80 extra for bling and £20 for a pizza express coupon for the other half - bargain!

Wish I could :-P

I'm surprised you haven't been able to sell it yet (even if it does need the belts doing) as it's a nice looking bike.

PedroII
28-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Wish I could :-P

I'm surprised you haven't been able to sell it yet (even if it does need the belts doing) as it's a nice looking bike.

Haven't been particularly pro-active about it, but I guess most people don't want duc's with that amount of mileage. Might wait till Spring as I'm not in a hurry to sell anymore and get an m/s2r1000 then.