PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak Help

bluestoesonnose
23-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Just got back from a longish ride and the M750 has developed an oil leak from what looks like the push rod tube as the chain isn't covered in oil it can't be the output shaft seal can it?

Had a quick look in the Haynes and I'm still no wiser to what it could be, help

Cheers
Blues

Ps. is there anywhere to get a Ducati Workshop manual and parts book from?

bluestoesonnose
23-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi,
As an update I've had a quick grovel and the leak seems to be coming from the top of the crank case behind the rear cylinder. I'm not too sure if it's the base gasket of the rear pot or what appears to be a crank case breather (black plastic bowl thing).

If it's the former then I guess I'm into taking the rear pot off and rebuilding with new gaskets, the latter seems simple, but does anyone know if there is a gasket in there or something?

Cheers
Blues

470four
23-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi,
As an update I've had a quick grovel and the leak seems to be coming from the top of the crank case behind the rear cylinder. I'm not too sure if it's the base gasket of the rear pot or what appears to be a crank case breather (black plastic bowl thing).

If it's the former then I guess I'm into taking the rear pot off and rebuilding with new gaskets, the latter seems simple, but does anyone know if there is a gasket in there or something?

Cheers
Blues

Crankcase breather base is known to leak - remove it, clean it up and reseal it with a smear of Threebond or similar on the threads? The early ones have an alloy band around them and a series of holes around the base - these usually undo if you tap them round with a Philips screwdriver with a rag over the end in one of the holes - the later black plastic pots should have an o-ring seal on the base as standard?

bluestoesonnose
23-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi 470, thanks for the help, it's a 2001 bike and the breather is plastic, how does the breather fit in, I can't see any fixing points?

Funkatronic
23-11-2012, 04:48 PM
the plastic breathers units have been known to split around the rim

Funkatronic
23-11-2012, 04:49 PM
i used a plumbers adjustble wrench and a cloth to prevent marring, it just screws off

Funkatronic
23-11-2012, 04:51 PM
some manuals are here (http://www.carlsalter.com/ducati-service-manuals.asp)

or you can buy them for a few quid here (http://www.duc.nu)

bluestoesonnose
23-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Many thanks, guess what I'm doing tomorrow...