PDA

View Full Version : Front break light switch, help!

Petej
23-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok so after putting the front back together, the break light is constantly on I've checked the switch and it works but doesn't appear to bing switched off when the lever is in its un pulled position?

I don't know if I've manged to lose a pin or something that triggers the switch off when lever in standard position? Can work it out of of the Ducati parts fisch

Nickj
23-11-2012, 06:23 PM
They're just click on off switches and really simple.

I'd be tempted to take it off and push the little pin in and see if it makes a click. Even better try it with a meter or battery and bulb to see if it is working.
If not then you might as well get another but before you do you could split the case (they usually come apart), clean internally then if all of the parts are intact and you haven't dropped any stick back together and retest.
Often you find that this will see it good.
Sometimes the copper contacters just fatigue and break.

Petej
24-11-2012, 12:23 AM
The switch does work, the lever doesn't appear to close the circuit. Hence thinking iwas missing a pin or small rod of some kind.

slob
24-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Do you have gold clamps with seperate fluid pots or the black 'coffin' type?

Trent
24-11-2012, 07:21 AM
I assume you've still got the coffin style Masters - if you loosen the 2x tiny screws that hold the switch, you should find that there's a fair amount of "play" in the holes - move the switch around till the lever operates the switch OK, then tighten the screws up again.

Darkness
24-11-2012, 08:00 AM
The switch does work, the lever doesn't appear to close the circuit. Hence thinking iwas missing a pin or small rod of some kind.

There is a small rod between the switch and lever on the "coffin" master cylinder which sits in a circular hole in the lever mount. If you take the lever out they have a habit of staying in the hole till you aren't looking, then disappearing forever (Don't ask how I know this....). They are available separately and are cheap.

While adjusting the brake lever operation make sure you've still got the required amount of slack as if the lever adjustment is too tight it doesn't allow the brake fluid back into the MC when you release the lever: the front brake drags, the disks overheat and warp. If there's moisture in the brake fluid that boils and that locks the brake solid.

Not trying to worry you, but it does need to be right. :spin::spin:

Petej
24-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Cheers guys, yeah it's the coffin type mc, I think I've lost a pin but I'll have another look this morning and see what I can find.

Pete