PDA

View Full Version : Shorty belly pan on ebay - info please

JMo
22-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi Everyone - just wondering if anyone has bought one of the short style belly pans from the German seller on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310226074383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The price looks very good (although offset somewhat by the shipping costs, particularly if you buy the fittings too) - I appreciate they come unfinished and need to be painted etc. that's not a problem - just wondering how the general fit and finish were though, and if you had a good experience on the whole...

Alternatively, if anyone has one of these for sale here, let me know...

Any info gratefully received!

Jenny xx

scrapps
22-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Mine came from Germany not sure who from as was years ago. finish not bad lasted well (still on bike) and just trimmed for side stand on mine.

hope of some use to you.

zhango
22-11-2012, 12:13 PM
I've got one in front of me that I bought from those guys about 2 months ago but not fitted yet. I paid £21.25 + £12 post and it's a bargain. I didn't buy the brackets as I intend making some but offering it up to bike looks ok. It's an excellent fibreglass moulding with a very smooth white gel coat which could be painted as it is - just like the ebay pic. I will use a primer-surface paint first just to cover very faint suface scratches but there are no blemishes to be filled on mine so I'm very pleased with it. If you are fussy you could dress the moulding join as there is a ridge. The thickness is a nominal 2mm and does feel very rigid. It was packed well in a big box so no damage and arrive quickly.

JMo
22-11-2012, 12:52 PM
That sounds good enough for me, think I'll get on and order one - thank you!

Jx

Magic1971
22-11-2012, 02:57 PM
I was considering getting seat cowl from those guys £32 plus £8 post

Mark Taylor
22-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I've got one fitted to my bike, it came with the brackets from the same firm - top class stuff IMHO:thumbsup:, I also got a MV style seat unit from the same guys - I love it:mand:
Have fun

ps. are you doing the Dakar this (next) year?

JMo
22-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Mark - thanks for the second vote of confidence, I'll get one ordered!

As for Dakar, I've had to defer my 2013 event entry until January 2014 now, as I just couldn't get the funding together for my service assistance... fortunately waiting another 12 months means there is a new project/team in the offing, which is going to be very exciting! More info will follow early in the new year, so keep an eye on www.jennydakar.com and the facebook page too if you use it: www.facebook.com/JennyDakar

Jx

Funkatronic
22-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I have a unused carbon one for sale if your interested

bought it but never got round to fitting it

note, with the ricambi weiss ones you will need a fitting kit too, mine come with the kit

pm me if your interested

manwithredbike
22-11-2012, 07:42 PM
i bought one of these a few years ago (but with brackets) and painted it myself. great fit, straight on - no messing or cutting, and well finished. still on me bike.

phil

JMo
22-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I have a unused carbon one for sale if your interested

bought it but never got round to fitting it

note, with the ricambi weiss ones you will need a fitting kit too, mine come with the kit

pm me if your interested

Bugger! I was after a carbon one you know (gotta keep it light, right?!), but have already ordered the fibreglass one earlier today...

To be honest though, as I want to paint it anyway, it would almost be shame to cover up the carbon - so I suppose I ought to leave it for someone who might want to keep it raw...

Thanks for thinking of me though!

Jx

wadesnj
23-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I bought one of these as well, very well made and the extra fitting kit is excellent. Fitted perfectly to my M600 Dark. Painted it myself using fibreglass primer and matched my semi-matt black as closely as I could using rattle cans from Halfords!

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j450/wadesnj/Ducati%20Monster%20M600%20Dark%202001/2012-11-03123139.jpg

Wasta
23-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Anyone know where you get the fixing kits for them? I have a longer pan, looks like a small canoe but the brackets that came with it from ebay (second hand) don't appear to be correct.

utopia
23-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Anyone know where you get the fixing kits for them? I have a longer pan, looks like a small canoe but the brackets that came with it from ebay (second hand) don't appear to be correct.

Fitting kits for the short, monza-style pans (like the one that jmo has just bought) are available on ebay. Possibly this is the kit that you have for your larger pan.....?
I'm afraid I dunno where to get the fittings for the bigger pans, but I used to have one fitted to my 750. I still have it, complete with fittings. I don't want to part with either the pan or the fittings, but if you could post some pics of your pan and fittings, I could compare with the bits I've got and then advise as to what bits you're lacking, if that helps at all....?
One other point though....I found that the bigger pan, which enclosed the front exhaust header, caused the engine to run hot when stopped at traffic lights etc. This is why I removed it and fitted the shorter style, which allows the exhaust heat to escape a lot better. Things seem to have been cooler since then. Worth thinking about, particularly if you're going to have trouble finding (or making) the correct fittings.

Wasta
24-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Thanks Utopia, I hadn't considered the overheating angle, perhaps that's why it was on ebay. I don't have any pics of the brackets and I'm not at home, but will try and find a pic of the bellypan.

This pic shows the smaller pan that was fitted when I bought the bike.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/P1000449.jpg

Wasta
24-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Sorry, I seem to have hijacked this thread.

JMo
24-11-2012, 05:21 PM
One other point though....I found that the bigger pan, which enclosed the front exhaust header, caused the engine to run hot when stopped at traffic lights etc. This is why I removed it and fitted the shorter style, which allows the exhaust heat to escape a lot better. Things seem to have been cooler since then. Worth thinking about, particularly if you're going to have trouble finding (or making) the correct fittings.

This is exactly why I'm changing... Ever since I bought my bike (10 years old this last September!) I've had a full length belly pan on it - initially the 'canoe' shaped one, and latterly the DP S4 Challenge style, and my bike has always run hot, exacerbated by the under-engine exhaust I'm sure...

When I fitted the new engine recently and test-rode it without the pan fitted, it was immediately 12+ degrees cooler - sitting at a steady 108°C when in the summer it would usually be over 120°C, and often 130° in traffic... It was basically like fitting an oil cooler (which I understand also drops the temp by typically 10-12 degrees).

Of course the full-length pan/s do cover up all the messy underbelly and keep the crud off the exhaust, but I'm going to see how it looks with the shorter pan, and who knows, maybe some header wrap too!

Jx

JMo
27-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Just to let everyone know, mine arrived in the post today (pretty quick!) and I would echo what others have said - the finish and overall quality looks excellent, and particularly for the price... time to head out to the garage I think!

Jx

Lambo
28-11-2012, 10:03 AM
will those Belly Pans fit my 2008 696 anyone know?

gary tompkins
28-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Engine shape and pipe routing is completely different on new shape monsters

So my guess would be no

Wildfire
28-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Just got the full length belly pan, but will wrap the headder in heat wrap.

Nottsbiker
29-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks Utopia, I hadn't considered the overheating angle, perhaps that's why it was on ebay. I don't have any pics of the brackets and I'm not at home, but will try and find a pic of the bellypan.

This pic shows the smaller pan that was fitted when I bought the bike.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/P1000449.jpg

If you ever sell that give me a shout please :)