PDA

View Full Version : Calne Bike Show 2013 - A new venue?

Rally
21-11-2012, 09:07 PM
It has been announced that the show is to move to Bowood Estate a few miles outside the town. It is also proposed to be a charged event for the 1st time.

What do you guys think about it? Comments would be appreciated on the "Wiltshire Biker's" website.

Albie
21-11-2012, 10:08 PM
How about in Devizes then by the Bear. Suits me sir

scrapps
22-11-2012, 11:02 AM
It will take a load of trade away form the town and not have the same feel to it.
The shops/scouts/pubs etc do a lot of trade on bike day and will be loosing out ?

Stafford
22-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Health and safety and costs rule the day again.
It could be good with better access to see bikes parked up, but they may not get the same attendance with a £3 fee to just rock up.
How much hard standing is there at Bowood?

scrapps
22-11-2012, 11:10 AM
It could be good with better access to see bikes parked up, but they may not get the same attendance with a £3 fee to just rock up.
How much hard standing is there at Bowood?

The old HSE have tried to ruin the day :banghead: £3.00 is not a lot but does change it from the original idea of just turn up on your bike.

gary tompkins
22-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I can see this killing the show stone dead

Rally
22-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Bowood has a fair amount of gravel hard standing, but the main problem is the lack of public houses on offer, high prices at the bar, clothing restrictions in the bar area and any number of other things as well.
Whilst Bowood is a fantastic setting, I don't feel it is right for this day. Many people are just saying, go to Calne or rearrange for another local town and park up. It's not illegal!

I think it needs a better place, the Rec in Calne could do it, as could the Football Club or Beaversbrook, but alas, the powers to be have no ears as yet!

MrsC_772
22-11-2012, 07:57 PM
I really like the way that the Calne bike day is right in the town centre - a bit like Thundersprint in Northwich. It would be a real shame to move it out of the town centre, and even more so to charge for attendance.

I think it's great that the whole town is turned over to bikes for the day - it means that a lot of non-bikers (who probably wouldn't ever choose to go to a bike show elsewhere, let alone pay to go to one) find themselves surrounded by bikes and bikers. If it can change a few perceptions so much the better.

I cannot believe that Calne traders or the scouts (whose tea and cake offerings were our snack choice this year) would benefit if it moved to Bowood.

Not sure I'd make as much effort to go if it was just another bike show in a field.

uksurfer
23-11-2012, 12:16 PM
i thought the ice cream van on the bridge was excellent - best tell him if its moved please

Darkness
23-11-2012, 04:32 PM
........l?

Have I missed something; what's health and safety (Or the HSE) got to do with this?

:confused::confused:

Stafford
23-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Have I missed something; what's health and safety (Or the HSE) got to do with this?

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/ (http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/towns/calneheadlines/10067993.Calne_s_popular_motorbike_meet_in_doubt/)

As quoted by one of the organisers “The health and safety requirements have become more and more of a problem as the years have passed, so much so that it feels like being in the ring with Frank Bruno with one hand tied behind your back."

One of the issues is pavement parking and the amount of marshals required to administer the event. The event really has grown in the last few years and although I've never heard anyone complain but I guess for some the thoughts of having the town overrun with bikes may not appeal.

Char
23-11-2012, 05:50 PM
just ban anything with tassles - problem solved :mand:

NattyBoy
24-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Think rally has summed it up - bowood is a fantastic setting but the day would deffo lose its charm changing

S4Rs MacK
25-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Wont be going to Bowood. I plan to ride into Calne as normal, park and enjoy the local hospitality and coffee shops etc. Keep the custom going to the local shop keepers and not some rich landowner.

Liz
22-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Latest news regarding the Calne Bike Day from the local paper:

Town rallies support to help save Calne bike meet

Wednesday 19th December 2012

THE future of Calne’s motorcycle meet looks more secure after a meeting last week.

Offers of help came from nearly 40 local people, bikers and the town team, which includes local businesses, at the Lansdowne Strand Hotel, Calne, last Friday.

Another meeting will take place in the hotel at 7pm on Thursday, January 10, to formulate a steering committee.

Organiser Coun Howard Marshall said: “I was thrilled. It shows Calne has a will to support events such as the motorcycle meet.”

Rally
13-01-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm pleased to say that the town and local bikers have met and agreed that a compromise will work well. The compromise is that by having no stalls or fair at the event, it will keep the bikes in the realms of safety required to satisfy the town council. This means that it will be just bikes and bikers taking over the town as usual and not having to go to the local Bowood Estate.

I couldn't make the meeting myself, but have been relayed this information from a 3rd party who did attend. I hope and trust it will be accurate! It does however confer with the Facebook page found under "Calne Bike Meet 2013"
I have yet to find out if no stalls means no stand for bike clubs or not?

Anyone else know as yet?

scrapps
14-01-2013, 11:46 AM
That's good news.
I have been twice and like the relaxed feel of the day I hope to make it again this year.

gary tompkins
14-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear the show will stay in the town - even better if we can still have a club stand though

Planning to come down again and possibly stop over this year

Rally
27-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Right then, copy and pasted from the Wiltshire Bikers website;

EXCLUSIVE !!!!!!!! I can officially tell you all that this years Calne Bike Meet now consists of an absolutely not to miss weekend, Festival and camp site officially opens on Friday night, Bike meet kicks off 10 am saturday 27th July till 4pm, mass charity ride out will leave around 1630...... we need to arrange route and meeting points for ride in also with local club members, volunteers required for this, returning to the festival and Campsite at 1730, Beer, food bands and music will continue till 23.59 and allow you all to sleep soundly till 10am dispersal on Sunday Morning, you will be truely amazed at the musical line up in store for you all throughout the day and on into the evening, dont miss the live webcast on biker FM throughout the weekend........................... its going to be huge.