PDA

View Full Version : Fitting heated 'bits' cable to battery

Lg61 XKZ
19-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I have received my heated glove liners from Gerbing today but stupidly thought it would be a rechargable battery in the cuff type job but it turns out i have to plug them into my bike battery.. :banghead:

any advice on how to neatly fit this cable and thread position to plug into my jacket/gloves... i am completely non technical but would like to do this without blowing my battery or fuse (mine that is!)

thanks very much...

stopintime
19-11-2012, 05:03 PM
You need their Y split connector to allow the use of one pair of gloves. This should be included.
You need a battery harness. This should also be included.

Between the two, you need to buy and plug/mount a temperature controller. Not included.

Lg61 XKZ
20-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks, they have supplied the 'Y' split and the heater control but have the cable going direct to the battery with the live and neutral o's. I understand I will have to remove my tank to get to the battery... however, I have noticed under the seat there is a couple of adapter type bits one of which looks like its already hooked up to the batter but i probably need some sort of adapter to hook my gloves up to this??? Or else i return the gloves and get the ones with the battery's in the gloves which are rechargeable... seems the simpler option.

stopintime
20-11-2012, 01:25 PM
The gloves with small battery in them sound like a smart idea, but won't do you much good - IMO they barely get half warm.

Many of the new bikes were fitted with a harness from the dealer - to avoid all the hassle of removing the tank. It can be used to charge the battery AND to run equipment, like gloves.

Contact Gerbings to find out if they have a connector to your battery harness OR get in there and hook up the supplied battery harness.

strumbuddy
21-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Your bike is a M696? If so you need to be very careful trying to run kit from the underseat diagnostic socket, you can use it to plug in the Ducati Battery Tender which has the specific fitment for this, of the 4 wires to the diagnostic I am told that two go to the battery and two to the ECU, so IN THEORY you could run your inners off diagnostic but I would not for fear of knacking the ECU at mucho cost.....Fitting the "pigtail" to the battery terminals is not difficult, your owners manual actually tells you how to access the battery, in fact you dont need to remove the tank and any fuel lines, just get it loose, prop it up so you can access the battery terminals and off you go....I have tried the "battery" gloves and they simply dont work well enough, so dont go down that route IMHO....I am currently (no pun intended) saving for a pair of Alpine Stars heated gloves which at £160 ish are well dear but I understand that they work well, so I will be fitting pigtail to battery soon, hopefully on boxing day if my hints have been taken!!!! :mand:Good luck....

Lg61 XKZ
21-11-2012, 05:26 PM
:idea: Thanks for the ideas... well I ordered the Hella cable that was offered as fitting a Ducati but alas it didnt... so reading through your suggestions and admitting that my capabilities are limited in the spanner/screwdriver department have booked it in with the garage to decide whether to fit direct to the battery or hard wire it - they seemed to have the best know how and tools..

its a girl thing and I'm worried of connecting it to the wrong thing and in the wrong order, creating more issues and ECU's are pricey I replaced one in my car last year!!

All I want are warm fingers, is it too much to ask.... :mand:

Strumbuddy - I will write to Santa on your behalf and keep my fingers crossed that on Christmas day you are unwrapping a toasty pair of Alpinestars!

strumbuddy
21-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Zoe, I hope your letter to Santa does the trick...but I suspect socks and jarmies fae Asda and a nice bottle of malt as usual!!!
Forgot to mention that there are a couple of videos on You Tube showing the fitting of "pigtail" to a M696, they are good but do go a wee bit OTT by removing fuel lines etc but well worth a watch...if the bike is going to the dealer for fitment I reckon its less than an hours job for a bike technician so thats a £50 plus the VAT job, when I accessed the battery on the M1100s it took me about an hour and a quarter all in....good luck:mand: