PDA

View Full Version : My M900Sie

OzzyRob
15-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Well the story start thusly. I was intent on building a cafe\streetfighter based around an early 90's GSXR. So as one does I started collecting some parts, seemed to me a lot of Ducati parts seemed to fit the bill. The more I think about it the more I start thinking about how I fell in love with the Monster back in '94.
Just about that time the right amount of beer tokens were found and the right bike turned up.

Anyways this is it so far.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/edgarbrits/Monster/Iphone023.jpg

She came looking damn straight and with low K's. So far all I've done is put the wire wheels and front brakes on. Oh and a few bolts have been changed over to SS. As for the rack the top half is from a GSXR1100 with homemade L brackets that follow the frame lines.
If anyone's interested if the wheel swap I'd gladly post up how I did it, or even quite willing to help out anyone local.
I get a lot of questions about the front brakes, which were the only option without having new triples made at a wider spacing plus a new axle. They cost less than what most spend on a set of pipes and my philosophy is handling, brakes then sound & bling.
Next thing on the list is a decent set of mirrors, I'm well open to any suggestions.

Duc600mon
16-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Nice bike, like the wheels!

OzzyRob
16-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks......I've got my dream bike and I'm a happy little vegemite.

turbod
16-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I do like the wire wheels

was it hard to swop over

OzzyRob
16-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Nah was dead easy, front wheel is basically plug and play with the Sport 1000s axle & spacer. Because I wanted to keep the mechanical speedo I had to machine the front hub, alot easier than it sounds and carefully machine down the speedo drive.
Rear needed 2 top hat spacers for the hub. The cush drive was machined down, about 5.6mm, two thinner bearings used and a new spacer made and a little shaved off the cone shaped spacer. I was able to use the brake hanger unmodified.
The only hard part was grinding a tool for the circlip groove.

I did all this on a little 7x14 mini lathe so it's doable by anyone with a bit of aptitude & patience. Tho since I used 1045 steel it did take long than using MS or ally.

Apart from modifying the speedo drive the original wheels and brakes can go back on. I've put about 2000k on it since doing the swap. I haven't noticed any difference in turn in effort or handling differences compared to the cast wheels. The Beringers are nice and progressive and give great feed back. I've put it thru tight & twisty goat tracks and 180 sweepers and she's a beaut. In saying that the rims are alloy, if you use the steel rims there maybe some difference.
I know theorectically lighter wheels make turn in easier, but in road use I really don't think this is an issue. Poor tyre care is more to be a greater problem than "heavy" rims.

Now to find a red tank hehehehe

Duc600mon
16-11-2012, 12:43 PM
What bike are the wheels from originally?

OzzyRob
16-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Sport 1000s, got them from a fellow Aussie on the ducati.ms forums, aint the internet great. Great price and came with 1 pair front discs, rear disc, cush drive, sprocket & tyres. Like I said I bought them for another project, had them for about 2 years before I bought my current ride.

http://www.motorcycle.com/images/content/Review/IMG_0072.jpg

OzzyRob
22-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Took a cruisy ride down to Mittagong today, home of Staintune, and picked up a set of pipes for the Monster. Lucky me got 'em for $500.00 usually $1295.00. For once Down Under is actually cheaper than the rest of the world. :mand:

Unfornately we've got crap weather, only max of 23C, today so no piccies.

Sorry for bragging.