PDA

View Full Version : Jack up kit shock change?

Wildfire
15-11-2012, 10:25 PM
I have the louigi moto jack up kit fitted to my 95 M600, will I need to change my shock?

Currently I have no/very little static sag and only a few turns left on the shock.

Stafford
16-11-2012, 11:23 AM
You should not need to change your shock but it does sound like you need it set up. Little or no sag is not going to give you the best of rides.

utopia
16-11-2012, 01:58 PM
As Stafford says, little or no rear static sag isn't good.
How are you measuring the sag ?.......I'm wondering if you're measuring the upper position correctly.
This measurement should be taken with the rear shock at full extension, which requires the rear of the bike to be lifted BY THE FRAME so that the wheel hangs off the ground with the shock under zero load from the bike.
Perhaps you're measuring the upper position with the bike standing on its wheels, which doesn't fully unload the shock.
Lifting the rear via a paddock stand will not do as the weight of the bike is still on the rear shock.
Maybe this is why you're getting such a low sag figure, despite apparently being towards the end of the adjustment range....?

Just to complete the picture, the other measurement should be taken with the bike standing on its wheels, unhindered by any stand etc, and with the rider aboard and feet up.
In this position you're looking for about 30% of the total available suspension movemen to have been used.
Measurements should be taken as near to vertical as possible between the wheel spindle and any suitable fixed point on the rear subframe.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.