PDA

View Full Version : There better be an 820 monster soon or I may be off

Albie
15-11-2012, 06:04 PM
After looking at the New Ducati bikes I have to admit at being enticed by the Hyper Motard SP with the new watercooled engine. I do really hope that they bring out a Monster of similar type. Now whilst I don't necessarily want to get plumbing again , it seems the only way in the future evolution is this engine as the Air cooled Will be banned from being manufactured. Not from being ridden but just built new.

Do you think this is going to happen ?

Whilst I am happy with my Monster I am seeing the Hyper as a more allrounder now. I hope this is just a phase and it will go away but I really do like the power it gives. Maybe if I test one I won't like it.:mand::mand:

Haynee
15-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Have to agree that the 820 Hyper has appeal, I'm also liking engine maps, one for city/commuting and two for real biking !!...it looks like it will do a bit of everything
I was hoping to be upwardly mobile to the 1100evo but as I do a cross-city commute most days , I am wondering if the EVO is (a) economical-ish and (b) not too frusrating at low speeds....??? My 696 does 50mpg....not sure that can be beat.
....and...I still don't understand why they've gone and developed and 820 when they have a sublime 848 already ??

Mr.Number
15-11-2012, 06:42 PM
...not heard anything about dropping air cooled engines. As we know, for ducati this is very much their history, the 796 and 1100 etc continue that tradition. I'm not arsed either way. Listening to Steve Parrish at Valencia was interesting. Due to new cost reduction regulations in moto gp which come into effect in 14, engines need to be more efficient and there is a reduced fuel allowance of 20 litres amongst the changes. The comment was that the only people to benefit would be those buying motorcycles, so if fuel economy is high on the agenda for buying criteria, it maybe worth waiting. I do think that given the economy which is going to struggle for a good few years yet, the need for such high powered bikes, will be reduced to the track only. Those who at one time may have bought such bike for the road, will be switching their attention to an outright commuter bike. Honda have already gone down that production road, with the introduction of 3 500cc bikes, purposely made for the commuter.

Nickj
15-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Surely 3 1/2 litres of motor is a bit much for a commuter, might be acceptable in the US though.

A modern 200 like the baby ktm duke ought to work well around town, should give 70 odd a gallon. You'd miss the torque tho' with only 14 ftlbs to play with.

Saint aka ML
15-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Mr Number Air cooled motors are on a boot due to EU emission laws. BMW is also giving up. At the moment no new air cooled motor meets the new emission regulations coming in to force from 2013 or 2014. That is why I have yet to see for this year a new air cooled motor.

I hate those new water cooled motors, not as clean, not as bonkers as most power is at top range.

Haynes from feel of engine Ducati engine maps seem nothing more then throttle restriction, I thing cjs did say something similar in diavel case? Maybe for better fuel economy I just need to stop revving it but where is fun in that, 4k rpm or less is for L plates :)

Nickj
15-11-2012, 10:07 PM
The euro regs tend to mean the power curves get that step in the power curve.
Part of it is noise emissions which crucify air cooled bikes, it also chops that step into the power curve

Thirdway
18-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Have to agree that the 820 Hyper has appeal, I'm also liking engine maps, one for city/commuting and two for real biking !!...it looks like it will do a bit of everything
I was hoping to be upwardly mobile to the 1100evo but as I do a cross-city commute most days , I am wondering if the EVO is (a) economical-ish and (b) not too frusrating at low speeds....??? My 696 does 50mpg....not sure that can be beat.
....and...I still don't understand why they've gone and developed and 820 when they have a sublime 848 already ??

Look at the specs. Its a relatively long stroke motor compared with their modern designs. Its built for torque over power. Its lower rev ceiling should tell you all you need. Its a 996 in a far lighter, more efficient package. I think it will be a belter and will return 50/55mpg quite easily. Its quite radical to move in the opposite direction. Essentially its the ideal water cooled version of the monster.

Might not sound quite as good mind.

Haynee
18-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, that's what I was afraid of.....not the same noise!!! And although I'm sure it will be smoother...again the air cooled vibe (not so smoothe) is really something. So the current batch of Monsters may be the last of the air-cooled - might upgrade to the EVO after all !