PDA

View Full Version : Fork strip M900 advice request

olivera
14-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Stripping a set of forks from a 95 M900. The Haynes manual talks about removing the grub screw from the fork bottom. As expected the grub screw is fixed solid and it's such a small size allen key I know it's likely to strip quite easily. Anyone any experience in removing and if i need to drill out how far should i go? I want to blast the fork bottom so need to remove from the chrome leg. Also any tipe for a strip and rebuild of the forks?
Cheers

dunlop0_1
14-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Considering that the forks have probably been together for more than a decade I would doubt they are going to part company with each other very easily. The steel can react with the aluminium causing it to oxidise and basically weld them together. Also gripping each part without causing damage can also be an issue. However you may get lucky.

I have found that a wire wheel in a drill has always produced a good enough finish for painting.

:mand:

Dookbob
14-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Do a search on " removing fork bottoms ". You find the pics of the piece of kit that I made for making this job quite easy.

olivera
14-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. Searching now

Scotty
14-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't bother

as in you will only end up damaging new paint on reassembly

Dookbob
15-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't bother

as in you will only end up damaging new paint on reassembly

No you won't have to touch the paintwork at all
The thread you want is from. Rac3r. Fork bottoms

olivera
15-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Perfect. The clamp idea is great. So simple and obvious when looking at the picture.
Thanks

gazzer
12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
i had to remove mine a few years ago, i think i had to boil the bottom of the fork leg in a kettle and then it screwed out no problem.

cheers gary