PDA

View Full Version : So what do people think of the 2013 Ducs so far then?

Scott1
12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Kinda liking the new Hyperetard, nice paint scheme anyway.

http://www.ducati.com/ (http://www.ducati.com/)

Albie
12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Not liking the cast rear as much tbh. Getting too non trellis nakedness. Still like the range though.

Char
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
maybe Kato bought the touring dribble

JMo
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm the opposite Albie! - I think the rear end is far neater than the old model - I always thought the original twin cans were too long for the bike, and the old silver-painted trellis seat subframe just looked cheap in comparison to the rest of the frame? (although nothing a bit of black or red paint couldn't remedy of course!)

The new rear-end styling (with the Monster Evo style low pipe) is going to look fantastic with a tail-tidy/fender-eliminator, which I'm sure Ducati will offer like they do for the current Monster...

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/other%20pix/2013Hypermotard.jpg

The Hyper was always one of my favorite bikes to ride, and if I were looking for a new street bike, I'd definitely look at one of these now - the 848 size engine also makes perfect sense I reckon?

Jx

neilo
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm loving the specs of that Hyper SP...

Saint aka ML
12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Neilo sorry but new SP is a joke. Add same compression ratio to old 2V SP and it will have more torque, more top end (not as much as new sp granted but close) and will still be lighter then new SP. New SP is step back from fun to sensible. 95bhp on old hyper at 7500, 110 on new at 9200 latter one on road will be much more fun. It will accelerate much faster to it's top speed, top speed that will be lower then new SP but on bike like that 120 or 130 makes no difference.

I do like that cast subframe just afraid cast rest is next year together with no 2V monsters.

neilo
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
To be honest it wasn't the power or torque that I was looking at... I was more interested in the electronics (including the Ducati safety pack) and that 16 litre tank. That's what I was most interested in. Those changes make the hyper a much more practical proposition.

Saint aka ML
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
To be honest it wasn't the power or torque that I was looking at... I was more interested in the electronics (including the Ducati safety pack) and that 16 litre tank. That's what I was most interested in. Those changes make the hyper a much more practical proposition.

Ah I think you hit nail in head here and this is where we will have to agree to disagree. Since when any type of hyper motard was to be practice? They were always by design, short distance, instant fun chuck it around bike. The tank range in old hyper could be extended to 100 miles when on boring m-way.

If you want practical naked then new monster range.

neilo
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Totally agree with you, but I always wished the hyper came with a bigger tank and ABS, and my wishes have been answered! :-)

This is also why I bought a monster evo, even though I prefer the riding position of the hyper.

Albie
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Im not hating the rear end but as you all know NEW monster gets a real big kicking from OLDSCHOOL monster about the trellis. I do see its neat and we all know how much lighter we are nowadays so theres a big benifit there and in an acccident too as we replace it.
I have also to agree JMO that you know I am into more now enduro style and would also like a hyper. Only ridden one once and thats how I fell for the 1100. Perfect all rounder fun bike for the street and track/ circuit.
848 sounds about right size for all the power you would ever need.

Now wheres the monster 848 please

Pedro
12-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Diavel Strada.... Christ on a bike that's fugly!

Hyperstrada, jury is out

Monsters and Streetfighter get the thumbs up

Oh and Santa, I'd like a Pikes Peak Multistrada please

Ped

Nickj
12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Not feeling inspired by any of the monsters

Liking the pingoolie though

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/5462/pingu350x240ka7.jpg

Char
12-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Not feeling inspired by any of the monsters

Liking the pingoolie though

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/5462/pingu350x240ka7.jpg

good tank range that one to

JMo
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Im not hating the rear end but as you all know NEW monster gets a real big kicking from OLDSCHOOL monster about the trellis.

Forgive them, they know not what they say...

I'm not sure it is actually the lack of trellis so much as the modern bodywork/headlight design that is less distinctive and more derivative [of what else is on the market these days] though?

Certainly the new Monster is far less distinctive than the original (sorry, perhaps I should refer to them as 'current' and 'classic' these days x), but it's detailing is literally in another century these days... It's funny - I've been looking at s/h Monsters here in the US for a friend recently, and if you compare an S2R next to a 696 for example, it really does show how 'old fashioned' the original Monster is now... the zip-ties, exposed cable clips, loose wiring - not that there is anything wrong with that particularly, only the new range is far neater and cleaner, and I'm sure far easier to keep clean too...

At least with the new Hyper, they haven't strayed too far from the original bodywork design - although I have to say, the new rear seat looks even higher than before! (still, I can see a lot of people junking the whole numberplate hanger and just sticking a small plate on the undertray itself in a US streetbike stylee... I know I would!

Jx

ps. Satin gold frame for the M1100 - I never thought I'd see that again!

Pomp1
12-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I'll wait untill I see one up close

gary tompkins
12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Looks like you'll need a trampoline to mount the hyperstrada

buzzbomb
13-11-2012, 03:32 AM
I'll wait untill I see one up close

Go On...:hissy:

Rub it in...:banghead:

Ho yeh...ENJOY...:ukm:

slob
13-11-2012, 08:21 AM
I really like the Monster 20th colour scheme (not sure about the chrome headlight trim though) and the mickey mouse mirrors are inspired (what standard naked has mirrors that aren't hideous anyway?)

... ducks and runs for cover...

gary tompkins
13-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Should have had the original silver/grey wheels... and a proper headlight too

Also ducks and runs for cover

slob
13-11-2012, 10:05 AM
both originals ('93 900 and '94 600) had black wheels but yes, agree about the headlight

Musty
13-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Those mirrors are growing on me... NAAAAAAAT!

I want to meet the person who decided to bring those style mirrors back and spit in his espresso.

rac3r
13-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Hopefully that 4v motor from the Hyper will make it's way to the Monster at some point :mand:

gary tompkins
13-11-2012, 11:49 AM
both originals ('93 900 and '94 600) had black wheels but yes, agree about the headlight

Didn't realise they did a 600 in 94 with black wheels. I still prefer the silver ones my 1995 600 had on it.

That was a really nice looking bike with it's red bodywork and gold frame, and a great intro to monster ownership :cool:

simon_g
13-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm the opposite Albie! - I think the rear end is far neater than the old model - I always thought the original twin cans were too long for the bike, and the old silver-painted trellis seat subframe just looked cheap in comparison to the rest of the frame? (although nothing a bit of black or red paint couldn't remedy of course!)

The new rear-end styling (with the Monster Evo style low pipe) is going to look fantastic with a tail-tidy/fender-eliminator, which I'm sure Ducati will offer like they do for the current Monster...

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/other%20pix/2013Hypermotard.jpg

The Hyper was always one of my favorite bikes to ride, and if I were looking for a new street bike, I'd definitely look at one of these now - the 848 size engine also makes perfect sense I reckon?

Jx

Termi, SC and others did a nice high single can for the old Hypermotard which I thought looked great. Would suit the new one too.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1020/1464391716_d63143d785_z.jpg?zz=1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonaccord/1464391716/)
Hypermotard 0067 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonaccord/1464391716/) by Bon-Accord (http://www.flickr.com/people/bonaccord/), on Flickr

What is a shame is the dropping of the 796 Hypermotard - although the new one isn't much more capacity it's a lot more power and I imagine a pretty hefty price.

Generally like this a lot though - as there's no small-capacity Multistrada then I guess the Hyperstrada fits the gap, although that tall screen is gopping.

Kato
13-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Words fail me !!!!!!!

He11cat
13-11-2012, 01:45 PM
What the ****ens????
What's with the Diavel Strada and hyper strada ?
I appreciate what the aim if the game is .. But they look so ugly with big fly screens and sits to fit my ample arse and luggage.
I think I prefer Ducati having pretty bikes .. Then something like STs for travelling..

I like Diavels but not with back rests and fly screens :(
I think I want to cry a little ...
If people want to add optional extras fair dos for when travelling but I wouldn't release a touring range of bikes.
The Hyper Sp is nice.
I think il stick with my old bikes ..
I appreciate competition is rife and business is business but please don't go down the same routes as everyone else .....
And please don't stick fly screens and back rests on things.
Just offer them as optional extras.

neilo
13-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Completely agree about the two '...stradas'.

But I think the new Hyper is a good idea/move for Ducati. Supermotos are an acquired taste, and hypers seem to depreciate much more than any other model? Don't believe me? Just look at eBay! So the bigger tank and safety features make the model's customer base much bigger. Its two main rivals the KTM 990SM-R and Dorsoduro 1200 both have ≥15 litre tanks and ABS now, so Ducati have addressed these shortfalls perfectly. Yes it makes the bike much more practical, but Ducati cannot afford to ignore what the majority of people want for the sake of a few 'purists'...

J.P
13-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I think the Hyper-strada and the Diavel-strada are just Ducati realizing that they can make the same bike and stick luggage on it, which they can charge extra for, rather than the owner going out and buying luggage from someone else. I think it's a very pratical move.
You only need to visit the UKMOC Weekender to realize that a Monster-strada would make travelling with luggage easier than strapping gear on. So the Hyper & Diavel-strada's make sense.

And I like the look of the new Hyper shape.

jerry
13-11-2012, 02:31 PM
the new bikes are made in thailand and the engine is 820cc not 848, the is a new 820 multi ans diavel too

wet clutch but cable operated as well to cut costs

neilo
13-11-2012, 03:01 PM
the new bikes are made in thailand...to cut costs

Oh no!! That's killed it for me at the moment...

Kawasaki make some of their bikes in Thailand, and the difference in quality between those and the bikes made in Japan are so obvious... Granted, they've improved over time, but it's taken so long...

Does that mean the new hyper SP will be under £10k? Yeah, right!!

I hope Ducati keep the quality (of materials) and standard of finish up...

bex
13-11-2012, 10:44 PM
and the mickey mouse mirrors are inspired

Just when you think you know someone......

JMo
14-11-2012, 02:04 AM

The bearded one, he speaks the truth...

1993 M900
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/UKMOC/1993M900.jpg

2013 M1100 Evo (Anniversary)
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/UKMOC/20131100EvoAnniv.jpg

20 years of evolution... nice.

Jx

jerry
14-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Oh no!! That's killed it for me at the moment...

Kawasaki make some of their bikes in Thailand, and the difference in quality between those and the bikes made in Japan are so obvious... Granted, they've improved over time, but it's taken so long...

Does that mean the new hyper SP will be under £10k? Yeah, right!!

I hope Ducati keep the quality (of materials) and standard of finish up...

The diavel range and monster 795 are made in Thailand for last 2 years and both are exemplary quality ,so far ,,ducati factory here is able to expand further too.
Honda are also now building some big bike models here too
Yamaha will transfer some big bike manufacturing to thailand soon ,
BMW actively looking to build new plant here as are Piaggio /Guzzi

neilo
14-11-2012, 12:06 PM
When you say "here" do you mean the UK, or are you based in South East Asia?

simon_g
14-11-2012, 12:16 PM
UK site has prices now - £9550 for base Hypermotard, £11795 for SP, £10595 for Strada.

Char
14-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Can they please make something like the KTM prototype please 150/180 bhp

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/Char66/KTM-1290-Super-Duke-R-Prototype-07-635x408.jpg

jerry
14-11-2012, 02:05 PM
When you say "here" do you mean the UK, or are you based in South East Asia?

as of this week in thailand riding my S4 but spend a lot of time in UK too between jobs , ducati factory is 30 miles from my house , getting a preview of the bikes next week ,courtesy of local Duacti dealer Tony who is taking a few people on a factory visit .

jerry
14-11-2012, 02:08 PM
UK site has prices now - £9550 for base Hypermotard, £11795 for SP, £10595 for Strada.

ditto USA prices the same but put $ instead of £ = rip off britain , interesting also that Thai price will be 499,000Baht for base hyper which is £ 10,000 my mate fredo has already put deposit down on one .

neilo
14-11-2012, 02:18 PM
as of this week in thailand riding my S4 but spend a lot of time in UK too between jobs , ducati factory is 30 miles from my house , getting a preview of the bikes next week ,courtesy of local Duacti dealer Tony who is taking a few people on a factory visit .

Ahhh... I see.:thumbsup: