PDA

View Full Version : Cold start and rough running problems sorted

SunEye
28-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Recently I've been having problems cold starting my Evo. I would have to open the throttle when starting the bike and hold the bike at about 2000rpm for a couple of minutes before I could release the throttle, then the bike would idle normally. On a couple of occasions the bike didn't return to idle when I came to a stop and stuck at about 2000 rpm. I was also finding that at low revs in first and second gear it was running very roughly and the throttle response could be snatchy.

Now that the bike has had its 7,500 mile service it now runs a lot more smoothly at low revs and starts as soon as you press the starter. In fact it has never started that quickly and neither did my M1100. Both would always feel like they were taking a large intake of breath when you pressed the starter button before deciding to start. Now my Evo fires up as soon as the starter is pressed.

The cause of the problem was the valve clearances. I believe they were too tight.

I am now back to being very happy with my Evo, especially as a bit of suspension tweaking has improved the handling and bleeding the brakes and clutch has meant that they now function as they did 7,700 miles ago. Also a new pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3s means I'm no longer sliding around on the road :biggrin: