yorkshirepuddin
26-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Information gathering on fitting one of these to a S4R 996,

Which system is best ?
Where to fit the body ?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

bluestoesonnose
26-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Always go with Scottoiler, tried a few of the others but I keep coming back to Scott

470four
26-10-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZgkFtV-Ao

Not keen on Scottoilers, have had three, tried all settings - if you stay under 60mph they are fine, any "making progress" will see your chain flick gak all over your wheel/tyre/subframe/bike in general like the hippo in the attached vid?

Managed to reach a comprimise & now run a drizzle of Scottoil onto the still-warm chain when the bike gets back from a run? The oil penetrates, then cools down in place, leaving the chain perfectly lubed.

RESULT. :mand:

Duc600mon
27-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I ran a scott on my m600 a few years back And will agree that although they are good for keeping they chain well lubed they do cause a lot of unwanted flick!

NewMon
27-10-2012, 09:24 AM
They are great for fit and forget lubrication and for extending chain life. Not so great for people who clean their bikes all the time. Fit the reservoir behind one of the side covers near the seat. Tubing wraps out of sight down to the wheel. Vacuum tube goes to handy spigot on engine. I did have a set of pics from when I fitted mine - I will try to resurrect them.

yorkshirepuddin
27-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys Thats great !!

utopia
27-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah, they can be a tad messy, but no so bad once you get the setting right (mine's on about 4 or 5).
I found the best place to fit the reservoir is behind the right hand side panel, but its a tight squeeze. I used the clear plastic sleeve to mount it, with a couple of holes added to take a cable tie, rather than simply superglueing it to the frame tube. Its been totally fine for 3 or 4 yrs now.
I did find that the carbon side panels that I had didn't allow quite enough space, so had to revert to the original plastic ones, which gave just enough room.
A few P-clips are handy, to fix the delivery tube via the hugger bolts etc.

The nice thing about scottoilers is that the chain is CONTINUALLY lubed, rather than dosed from time to time, so its ALWAYS nice and slick.
In about 10k miles I've only had to adjust the chain by one or two flats on the adjusters.
I could take/post some pics if you need them (as long as I can work out how to post them).

yorkshirepuddin
27-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Reading the Scottoiler web site there is an option of drilling holes in the front sprocket, says it could be fidly to set up, Not sure if this is a good option to consider or not...................

utopia
27-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Its probably a neater installation if the feed is to the front sprocket.
A few on here have done it that way.
I suspect that it may function better via the rear sprocket though, as there is a lot of "fling" around the tighter radius of the front sprocket, so you may just end up with extra gunge in the casing and a higher lube consumption, but I'm just making a slightly educated guess really.