PDA

View Full Version : Lowering M796

gregc
26-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi Guys

My wife has a M796 which she loves (I ride more than my KTM at the moment!) but would like to be able to touch the ground better being a short arse! We already have the lower seat for her (and the standard one for me!) but she would like it a little bit lower- she had an ER6F before that had been lowered and wonders if the same can be done to the Monster. I have just taken the lower seat to a local trimmer that reckons he may be able to lower it by further half an inch so that may be ok (will not know until I get it back from him) but wanted to look at other options just in case. She has just got some new Sidi Race boots so do not want to go out and buy another pair of boots!
Cheers, Greg

Paul_
26-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Use 696 shock mounts and swap them with the 796 one's you have, that will lower the back to 696 level. Drop the forks through the clamps to lower the front. The 796 has a taller profile front wheel than a 696 so thats another possible swap.

gregc
27-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks Paul, will have a look at that if the lower seat does not lower it enough for her.

gary tompkins
28-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Dropping suspension will reduce ground clearance on corners

bluestoesonnose
28-10-2012, 12:36 PM
If you're going to drop the suspension then you'll have to do the front and the back to keep the bike handling like it's meant to.

I'd go with a cut down saddle (had the one done on our M750) for £75 in Plymouth, just remember to get it narrowed at the same time, this made a huge difference to the better halfs bike.

I think one of the young ladies on here mentioned Dayton boots which have thicker soles in them, they are not cheap but could be better than mucking about with the forks and rear shock.

Albie
28-10-2012, 02:35 PM
PM Big Oz as he made his 696 taller with the 796/1100 rear shock mount thing. It was not dear and you avoid
1/ not possibly having to wreck a good standard seat unnecessarily ( think also about the next buyer )
2/ the cost will be cheaper or could lessen the extra work if not quite enough.

He11cat
29-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Narrowing the seat... I made that mistake it looks bad and to be honest did not a lot on any of my bikes except trash the seats :( says the girl with 26 inside leg.

Forks through yolks ...
Get your seat shaved down as much as possible.
I did this then added a gel pad .... but the gel pad was so bulky I had it ripped out again.
make sure back and front balanced.

If any one need a radical lowering then what I do (yet to do on 400) is have a suspension set up.
Have the shock shortened and have the whole bike set up.

One of mine is set up and the other is standard shock wound down and folks through the yolks.
The difference is staggering.
The ride will be harder as shock doesn't have much travel so to speak.

I keep a standard shock and one modified.
Just incase you sell.

The only way to get it fairly good is proper set up which is about £200 but worth it rather then DIY job as it can throw the bike out ....
It should all be measured and balanced out.

As for cornering if your getting your knee down then yes..
everyday riding no.

The chap who set mine up was throwing my bike round corners as he was worried about the same problem and he was surprised what he could do with it he gave it some !

If extra seat shaving and forks through yolks don't cure it then its a proper set up which can be done on the newer bikes.
Or you fork out for Ladystars..
If you look on ebay in winter often brought and worn once ot tried on ones come up for about £80 _ £100 .... saves you alot of money!! I have two lots and both turned up boxed and immaculate !
Both had been de tagged tried on then obviously left and never used. So technically new with no tags :)

BigOz
29-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Use 696 shock mounts and swap them with the 796 one's you have, that will lower the back to 696 level. Drop the forks through the clamps to lower the front. The 796 has a taller profile front wheel than a 696 so thats another possible swap.

Paul has it spot on, the height differences between the new Monsters at the back is the top shock mount and is about £20 ish IIRC. You will then need to drop the yokes down the fork tubes a bit or with the over tall front you will effectively increase the rake and trail and alter the weight distribution to the rear all of which will affect handling. Three options to get the front change right are, get height measurements from a 696 bearing in mind the differences in tyre profile/height or measure the distance from a point on the subframe to the rear axle before and after then match the change between the yokes and the front axle or grab a digital inclinometer (surprisingly cheap) and use this to reset the rake post changes.
I'd say that leaving the 120/70 front is essential, going to the same 120/60 as the 696 could affect the handling, a 120/70 is the correct match for the 180/55 on the back.

Andy

Char
29-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Having done both,,, go for the LadyStar boot option

By far better than messing with geometry which will affect the handling

On tip toes with LadyStar boots on the SF but its so light and well balanced as not to really matter compared with the S4r and being able to plant one foot or the other is good enough for me

bluestoesonnose
29-10-2012, 08:10 AM
He11cat, the chaps in Plymouth did such a good job it looks like the std seat, they even reused the old cover, it's only when you sit on the bike you can feel the difference. My better half has slightly longer legs than you so maybe not as much taken off.

gregc
29-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the useful replies. Will see how the seat turns out first as that is already with the local trimmers. If that is no good, then maybe new lady star boots for her (from Ebay) or the 696 shock mount and set up.
Cheers, Greg

DUCANGEL
30-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Greg - i have a 796, i'm 5' 2'',with a 27" inside leg, i have scooped and narrowed the seat ( narrowing is a must ) fitted the original seat cover and it looks good as new. I have had to lower the forks in the yolks by 10mm and the rear to within 5mm of its lowest setting. The bike is now 730mm and i can get my feet almost flat down. It handles no differently than before, no clearance issues at all, but then again i am only 8stone. As for the boots if required take them to your local cobblers and have them soled and heeled by 10mm or so. I would not reccomend having cutting of the suspension as already said you have to think of the re-sale issue.

He11cat
30-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Mine had to be radically done base and all!!

gregc
27-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Well, after having the seat trimmed a bit more and making no difference, an early xmas present from the NEC on Sunday is a new pair of Daytona lady star boots for the wife. She sat on the bike wearing them last night in the garage and they have made a big difference for her- only a ride out will tell for sure but fingers crossed! I just need to finish fitting the S4 rider only footpegs so she can go for a test ride!