PDA

View Full Version : cold start lever left on

richiebhoy
25-10-2012, 10:51 PM
riding today 2 minutes after starting the m695. The bike cut out and the engine warning light came on. I noticed the lever was still full on. I closed this and the bike seemed to go well after that. Does it normally cut out when left on?

Sirc
25-10-2012, 11:37 PM
yes, that's perfectly normal and particularly in hot weather.

slob
26-10-2012, 06:00 AM
I found injected bikes the opposite, that mine like the enrichener partially on for several minutes or they stall at tickover but then I live in town, so have several low speed turns and stops close to home and work. I thought the enrichener was automatic by the time the 695 came out, it certainly is on S2r1000.

Sirc
26-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry Rob, I jumped the gun here - I thought it was an enrichner but apparently it's a fast idle. Please ignore my first post - it should run endlessly with lever left on :- http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/tech/186718-cold-start-lever-left.html

JerryT
26-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the manual for my 696 says you should not ride the bike with the cold start lever on. It's for fast idling the motor from cold at about 1500rpm for only a minute or two before you ride the bike off. You don't really want a fast idle while riding... Could also apply to the 695.

richiebhoy
26-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm quite worried now that the bike had cut-out due to another problem...

Sirc
26-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the manual for my 696 says you should not ride the bike with the cold start lever on. It's for fast idling the motor from cold at about 1500rpm for only a minute or two before you ride the bike off. You don't really want a fast idle while riding... Could also apply to the 695.

Understood Jerry, but original question was, should it cause engine to stall? and if it's a fast idle type then it shouldn't. I never use fast idle for any longer than I have to, one for the reason that you gave but mainly because I don't want the revs too high during initial warm up.

slob
26-10-2012, 03:15 PM
How're your teeth Chris?

Sirc
26-10-2012, 03:35 PM
that's really kind of you to enquire Rob - it has settled down with maximum penicillin but I think the little blighter will have to go soon. I am waiting for the go-ahead for a student in London to try and use different methods to finish off the (failed) root canal work at a reasonable cost. Only other option is private at (are you sitting down?) £700!!! for one tooth. Apologies for off-topic.

richiebhoy
26-10-2012, 03:38 PM
It does say in the manual 'Never ride tht motorcycle with the lever on'...

JerryT
27-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Not sure if it should cause engine to stall (sorry for not paying attention to the original question - doh!) as I have never left it on for very long. Can't think why I would...
I HAVE on the other hand, attempted to start the bike several times with the lever moved to an insufficiently effective position (i.e.: about 1/3 of max), with the result that the engine fired then stalled, followed by an extreme reluctance to start!! Since that has happened to me several times I now tend to set the lever fairly high initially and then as soon as the revs climb knock it back to rev at about 1500rpm. She never fails to start on the button when I do this.

Nickj
27-10-2012, 11:09 PM
On the off topic topic I've got a dremell and enough of the local scrumpy should ensure numbness from the neck downwards.