PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pump!?!

Jonno
21-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with wrist pump and why Im getting it? Never really had it before my monster (1100, 09). I've put an Oberon clutch slave on and raised to bar, but I am still having problems. Now thinking of putting smoother more adjustable levers on, but not sure if this will do anything.:mad:

satan916
22-10-2012, 01:23 AM
I had the same problem on the S4, changed the slave cylinder to a 28mm and also changed the clutch itself to a 48 tooth jobbie and its now as light as a feather and finding neutral is a doddle ( had to mess around with the clutch stack plates tho)

gary tompkins
22-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Holding the bars too tightly won't help

You really need to have a pretty relaxed grip to avoid fatigue and arm pump

don_matese
22-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I have to hold on for dear life at anything over 60mph - the wind batters me and its a struggle to stay upright - I either need to invest in more pizza/chips/ice cream or a screen...

He11cat
22-10-2012, 10:43 AM
On my old bike I had 2 clutch springs removed and its not slipping and helps so much.
But I ride an old boy :)

Its actually lighter then the one with adjustable levers and an oberon slave now :)

Nickj
22-10-2012, 12:02 PM
An old school cure is ...

Take a bit of round tube that's handlebar diameter and about 2 ft long. Drill a small hole through the centre point, around 4-5mm.
Stick some cheapo handlebar grips on the two ends.
Get some para cord or similar, around a metre and tie one end to the bars through the hole drilled earlier.
Add a weight to the other end, half a kilo will do fine or less if you feel that's a bit too much.
Use your wrists to wind the weight up and down. You want to be doing this 20+ times once or twice a day.

Used to use this to stop my forearms pumping up when I was racing dirt bikes

Or of course you can just ride the bike more which achieves the same effect and is a lot more fun

SunEye
22-10-2012, 03:31 PM
What Nickj said is great exercise for your condition, however ideally you want to address the cause.*

I'm assuming that the problem is more your left arm than right arm because you have mentioned the clutch. It is more common for arm pump to affect the right arm due to the combination of throttle and brake. However, I suspect that the heavy feeling clutch is a big part of your problem.

With the M1100 the clutch biting point is quite early in the lever movement. This is harder work for your hand muscles which makes it feel heavy, when it reality it isn't that heavy it's just that the lever position is such that the biting point is where your hands have little strength. Fitting levers with more adjustment and enabling them to be closer to the bar does make them easier to use by virtue of putting the biting point in a place where your hand has better muscle control. However there is a limit to how close you can make the clutch lever because you need enough travel to be able to fully disengage/engage the clutch.

Making the clutch lever movement lighter as satan916 said will also help.

You mentioned that you have raised the bars. This might help by relieving some weight from your hands. You should be able to ride with your hands just resting on the grips. If you can't you'll need to improve your core strength until you can. That way you are using muscles in your trunk to support you rather than muscles in your arms, which will reduce the possibility of arm pump because your arms are relaxed for more of the time.

Another issue can be the angle of the levers relative to the bars. You need to have the levers positioned so that your hands are as relaxed as possible and your wrists are as straight as possible.

Gordon H
22-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Used to get arm pump a lot when I was still climbing cliffs in Dorset - if I feel it starting when I'm on a bike I just "shake it out" - flexing fingers regularly and keeping a relaxed grip is the key. Managed a return trip to the IofM on the 748 without any aches or arm pump so looks like it works.....