PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new tyre

SunEye
17-10-2012, 06:08 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8097579250_846a179805_z.jpg

It's a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Not bad for 7700 miles. It's being replaced with a Michelin Pilot Road 3.

Nickj
17-10-2012, 06:17 PM
You seem to have been using the middle part a bit too much, tons of life everywhere else... Ought to be good for a few more miles ;)

SunEye
17-10-2012, 06:35 PM
You seem to have been using the middle part a bit too much, tons of life everywhere else... Ought to be good for a few more miles
I agree. It's due to the nature of a lot of the roads I ride on. They don't have many twisty bits on them. Most of my riding is high mileage (200+ miles at a time) on fairly main roads.

I blame the Romans. Their roads are far too straight. If they hadn't marched all over northern Europe 2000 years ago I'd have more twisty roads to ride on ;)

Mohawk
17-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I've been using Pilot 3's and will be replacing them soon . I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the Rosso II's and Pilot 3's compare.

justin796
17-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I've just had my M796 serviced & was told I need new tyres only after 1800 miles! They are the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, fitted from new.
Surely I should have got mores miles out of them than this?
Any recommendations what to go for next?

Justin

NewMon
17-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I blame the Romans.
And what have they ever done for us eh?

I know this problem. I spent a load of time whizzing up and down the A5 last year. One day in November I was travelling back in the night and thinking that the roads were very slippery. Next morning I looked at the rear tyre - it looked the same as your picture. I felt very nervous riding it 2 miles to the tyre shop even though I had been caning it the night before.

SunEye
17-10-2012, 08:22 PM

I know this problem. I spent a load of time whizzing up and down the A5 last year. One day in November I was travelling back in the night and thinking that the roads were very slippery. Next morning I looked at the rear tyre - it looked the same as your picture. I felt very nervous riding it 2 miles to the tyre shop even though I had been caning it the night before.
Similar thing here. Riding across northern France on Saturday all the roundabouts seemed very slippery and I had a bit of a slide on one corner. When I got home I saw the state of the tyre :eek: My 50 mile ride to Pro Twins today for a service and tyres was very very cautious.

utopia
18-10-2012, 01:03 AM

Classic. :thumbsup:

Are Diablo Rosso 2s a dual compound then ?
If not, it looks like you could use one this time.
My dual compound PR2s have done 7000m so far and still look nicely rounded.
They still look good for another 5000.
Admittedly, I do avoid motorways most of the time, but the harder central compound must make sense on any road.

SunEye
18-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Classic. :thumbsup:

Are Diablo Rosso 2s a dual compound then ?
If not, it looks like you could use one this time.
My dual compound PR2s have done 7000m so far and still look nicely rounded.
They still look good for another 5000.
Admittedly, I do avoid motorways most of the time, but the harder central compound must make sense on any road.
I do believe that the Diablo Rosso II is a dual compound tyre. Earlier in its life you could clearly see a difference between the two sections of the tyre, although it did appear that the edge sections were narrower than I would have expected.

I've actually gone all the way to the edge of this tyre which is something I never managed on Pilot Road 3s on my M1100, however I also think that the Pilot Road 3s wore more evenly.

I have to admit that I have done a lot of motorway, dual carriageway and fairly straight A road riding on these tyres. Maybe more so than usual due to 4,000 miles across France and Spain in August, 1,200 miles across northern France over the past 2 weeks and quite a few 500 mile round trips to Sheffield.

I am pleased to get 7700 miles out of them. That way changing tyres corresponds with a service :) Otherwise I'd have had to take the bike to Pro Twins three times in under three months (first service, tyres, second service).

LouSCannon
18-10-2012, 06:33 AM
I reckon you've got plenty of life left in that tyre yet chap.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/j1mb02001/BelgiumtoGermanytoBelgium2012_126.jpg

J.P
18-10-2012, 07:41 AM
I think it's shocking that you let the tyre get that bad before changing it, or anywhere near that

Headhunter
18-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Now that's what I would call a flat top!

Suneye, you'll love the PR3s - fantastic and long lasting tyre.

SunEye
18-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Suneye, you'll love the PR3s - fantastic and long lasting tyre.
I had the PR3s on my M1100. Loved them.

Have been pleasantly surprised by the Diablo Rosso II. It's a really good tyre. The wet grip is good, great in the dry and very durable. I'd give it 4 out of 5, but the PR3 is a 5 out of 5 tyre for me.

Headhunter
18-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Used to be a loyal customer of the good ol' "standard" Diablo for 7 years but after fitting the PR3s my thoughts are the same as yours.

Yorkie
18-10-2012, 12:05 PM
That is one sticky tyre to stick to the wall like that!!!

Yorkie

bluestoesonnose
18-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Pilot 3's every time, great tyre