PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem - non starter/no lights

DLowe
16-10-2012, 01:20 PM
for a few weeks its seemed reluctant to light the dash after turning the key... and flat battery every other day, so tested the battery and the voltage could be seen dropping 0.1V a second.

So new battery bought - refused to start at all, just clicking... then stripped out the unused alarm thinking it could be causing trouble... no diffrence.

when the key is now turned I can hear some relays tripping but no lights on the dash. Then using jumpleads from the car it will eventually light the oil pressure and neutral lights and fire up/run perfect, but the minuite I turn it off it refuses to light up/start again.

rarely the dash will light up with out jumpleads, but the starter just clicks as if its a flat battery, but its a brand new gel type sealed battery.

it has been sugested that the reg/rectifier is at fault, but how would this effect startig/dash lights?

thanks in advance

dunlop0_1
16-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I would check/clean all the leads from the battery to the starter soleniod and starter. Also check the earth wire from the battery to the frame underneath the battery carrier.
Try bridging the starter solenoid (under the battery carrier) with the ignition off. It should spin the motor up if all is well. :mand:

StuartJames
16-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I had a similarish problem a while back, created all sorts of strange problems with the electrics on my 696. Turned out to be the alternator.

Magic1971
16-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Similar may not be the same but I had it other day, turned on went to start it few clicks then nothing no lights etc on clocks, like it was totally dead, checked out general relay the yellow one under seat, was easy to test if voltage present at pins just follow Haynes , turned out to be that , got one for £8 worke fine can't see how that would drain your battery though but you never know

Quantox
17-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Similar may not be the same but I had it other day, turned on went to start it few clicks then nothing no lights etc on clocks, like it was totally dead, checked out general relay the yellow one under seat, was easy to test if voltage present at pins just follow Haynes , turned out to be that , got one for £8 worke fine can't see how that would drain your battery though but you never know

Had a very similar issue with my M900, except for the battery draining. My solution was as above. You can remove the cover from the yellow "general" relay very easily and clean the contacts with a bit of 400 wet & dry. This cured it in my case, confirming the diagnosis but I did then replace the relay with a new one.
The relay sits just underneath the seat and you can feel it activate when you touch it whilst turning on the ignition.

Cheers

Q

DLowe
17-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys,

I will try to clean the relay and check the battery earth leads first :)

hope this is the case and its a simple fix so I can grab a few more weekends out before winter kicks in

DLowe
17-10-2012, 05:36 PM
the battery may well have been knackered, and I had not ridden it in a couple of weeks,

I can hear the relay ticking - so assuming the contacts will need cleaning, if this works where's the best place to buy one from?

DLowe
19-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Relay looks in good condition.... Cleaned contacts and give it a soak in electrical cleaning spray solvent. Going to refit tomorrow.

But this doesn't look like it would be causing a problem, anything else if this is not it?

DLowe
21-10-2012, 07:17 PM
well charged the battery up today, showing 12.88V with bike off, cleaned up main relay - clicks key and all the dash lights up straight away, push the starter and nothing :(

clicked it on/off a few times, all the dash is lighting up straight away but no starter.... Then - I turned the lights on (don't know why) and this killed the dash lights, which now dont come on again.

so gave up for tonight.

gary tompkins
22-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a possible short or break in the loom - may even me a naff connector somewhere

Are the fuses still ok?

Scott1
22-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I've had this problem on a 600 before, as above there was a break in the loom, the wire form the starter button had worn and broken. Used to start if you turned the handlebars the other way or jump strart it.

utopia
22-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I've had this problem on a 600 before, as above there was a break in the loom, the wire form the starter button had worn and broken. Used to start if you turned the handlebars the other way or jump strart it.

I had the same problem on my 750......twice.
First time was due to a broken wire in the loom, where it passes by the steering head. It seems that this is quite a common problem.
Second time was due to a poor connection to the starter solenoid (RH side, under the battery tray and difficult to spot). I pulled the connectors and nipped them up a little with a pair of pliers. This seems to be quite common too.
On both occaisions, the bike would only start if the bars were turned to full lock while pressing and holding the starter button.

DLowe
06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi guys,

not been on for a while (been busy with new job etc and not had much chance to look at the bike)

anyway - stripped the sftermarket alarm off, fitted new battery - same, cleaned all connectors and switches with wd40/contact cleaning solvent and it now has the starter solonoid clicking every time I press the button, but no spin.

so I used a jump lead to connect straight from the battery + to the terminal on the starter and although I get a spark, it won't spin.....

new starter tie I take it? is there a guide on how to fit? and how much should they be?

Ta

DLowe
07-01-2013, 07:28 PM
anyone help with any tips to get it out?

Quantox
07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
There have been a few threads on here about starter motor removal over the last year or so. Try searching for "starter motor". I believe there's a tricky bolt / allen screw that needs particular attention?

Cheers

Q

DrD
08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
If your start motor woit spin with a direct feed the Commutator bushes may be shot.
The bushes in the starter motor are replaceable.
Replaced them on my M900 four years ago. About £5 from Auto Electric Factors. Might be worth a look.
Cheaper than a starter but it will still need to come off to do it.

Quantox
08-01-2013, 08:49 PM
If your start motor woit spin with a direct feed the Commutator bushes may be shot.
The bushes in the starter motor are replaceable.
Replaced them on my M900 four years ago. About £5 from Auto Electric Factors. Might be worth a look.
Cheaper than a starter but it will still need to come off to do it.

Think you may mean "brushes"?

Q

DrD
08-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Yep! Brushes! Anyway they are cheap to replace!