PDA

View Full Version : tank removal - monster evo

eljaybe
15-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm trying to fit heated grips and a pd chain luber to the EVO... Not that difficult really, but removing the tank to get a the battery is proving to be... Challenging. The fuel hoses are on the short side and after undoing approximately 23,672* bolts it's frustrating that the tank only moves an inch because of the pipes restricting it moving... Any tips or tricks?

* maybe a slight exaggeration..

neilo
16-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Are you sure you've removed all the necessary bolts? Mine comes clean off, or at least away enough to do whatever I need to with the battery.

Got yourself a workshop/service manual?

simon_g
16-10-2012, 12:43 PM
It's in the owners manual - can download it from here if you don't have it handy:

http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

Page 91 of the 1100evo manual has the process - looks much more complicated than the old ones!

Pomp1
16-10-2012, 02:20 PM
did you take the 2 bolts off the front brackets? (on the other side of the rubber thingy where the pin goes in)

J.P
16-10-2012, 04:09 PM
You have to man-handle it quite a lot to get the bolt under the seat out, the the two bolts at the sides holding it to the frame. Then prize the part up from under the seat and wiggle the tank back off the pins holding it onto the frame.

Nightmare just to get used to the tank. If you just do that you can move the tank sideways and get at the battery without having to unclip the breather pipes all the way down to the bottom on the engine. Just unclip it from the bit round the fuel cap.

Scott1
16-10-2012, 07:35 PM
You can try watching this to make sure you've got all of the bolts and bits out off, its a 696 but I'm sure its the same principle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39gxrSGETE

eljaybe
16-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, I had undone all the bolts...
Watching the video and I'm thinking that lump of tree wood is a good idea, just enough room to get to the battery.. I guess I thought I'd just be able to remove the tank.

Thanks again, I'll have another go when I get some time spare. :)

Albie
16-10-2012, 09:10 PM
You have to man-handle it quite a lot to get the bolt under the seat out, the the two bolts at the sides holding it to the frame. Then prize the part up from under the seat and wiggle the tank back off the pins holding it onto the frame.

Nightmare just to get used to the tank. If you just do that you can move the tank sideways and get at the battery without having to unclip the breather pipes all the way down to the bottom on the engine. Just unclip it from the bit round the fuel cap.

Why did you not get Jeeves to this job Justin.

eljaybe
21-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Heated grips and pdoiler all installer with a relay now.
Thanks for the help.
Only took me about 3 hours to fit it all. :o

neilo
22-10-2012, 09:51 AM
One of my most treasured tools is a Bosch IXO with a torque adapter... Makes undoing/doing all those bolts a dream!

mrober_uk
27-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi I just fitted the Oxford Sport grips to my Evo, but am not sure about fitting of the throttle side grip as there is a chamfered disc on the inner edge of the the throttle tube that is covered by the OEM grip. I just pushed the grip up as close as I could to the inner disc but can still see the white disc. Anyone do anything different?

eljaybe
27-12-2012, 06:40 PM
The white disc is still visible on mine too, bugged me when I first did it, might tweak it one day. If you figure it out post up what you did.

mrober_uk
27-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks, guess the obvious approach is to trim it off, but that would mean buying a new throttle tube if the OEM grips were to be refitted at a future date. Actually it doesn't look too bad now I looked at it again. Can live with it for now.

Will take a look at the ones in Woods when I get the chance to see what they do when fitting.

Cheers.

eljaybe
27-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I was thinking of trimming the grip, but you never where the elements are in them until, you chop them.....