PDA

View Full Version : 600 dark backfire

Magic1971
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Recently got a 2000 monster 600 dark that had been garaged for a couple of years so advice on here was to first change belts, did this fairly straight forward also new plugs anyway fired it up no problems 1st time except when ticking over if I pull hard on the throttle wants to die and will backfire, this is not the case if I am not so quick on the throttle, lifted tank to see air filter and that's new it appears to be the right hand Intake as when backfires can see a flash in right hand side when air filter off, I popped up the garage and bought a gallon of the premium fuel and to be honest seemed to tick over a little quicker on fresh fuel but still backfires or seems to die a little when quick on the throttle, problem Is only had about 5 mins on the new fuel then heard an electrical buzz and general relay went on me so have ordered new relay will be a couple of days till it arrives, I did spray some carb cleaner in air intakes but didn't make any difference, am thinking possibly fuel poor, carbs dirty been stood for a while , needs synchronisation or could it be mixture needs adjusting any ideas or help would be much appreciated
Cheers Jamie

urbanfireblade
08-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Did you warm the bike up before doing this? Cold air cooled engine will cough and splutter if you wack open the throttle.
Spitting back through the carbs usually means a lean mixture, rich mixture and it pops out the exhaust as unburnt fuel.

Magic1971
08-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I did warm it up and to be honest when cold seemed a little better ???

Yorkie
08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Did you chuckle? I always have a little chuckle when flames lick out of the cans on mine!

Did you warm the bike up before doing this?

I like warming mine as I ride it, with flames!

Yorkie

Magic1971
08-10-2012, 07:39 PM
As it happens I did have a little chuckle I even watched it a few times :-)

Dookbob
11-10-2012, 08:13 AM
You ought to check the float chamber fuel heights, then check the adjustment of the idle screws ( if they are not seized up that is ).Check that the needles are both set on the same notch. After that, if you still havn,t found the fault you can check the valve clearances are within spec. These are all basic things that need to be set right anyway, so even if you don't cure it with these adjustments, it wouldn't,t have been a waste of time.