PDA

View Full Version : Avon Storm 2 Ultras

Davemak
08-10-2012, 01:15 PM
The pirellis on my 796 are getting a bit thin, and I'm looking at replacing them soon. Avon Storm 2 Ultras have been recommended, but they get a bit of a slagging off by some riders. Anyone got any experience of these? Any help gratefully received.
Dave

neilo
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
The pirellis on my 796 are getting a bit thin, and I'm looking at replacing them soon. Avon Storm 2 Ultras have been recommended, but they get a bit of a slagging off by some riders. Anyone got any experience of these? Any help gratefully received.
Dave

The ZZR1400 crew swear by them, so they can't be bad...:rolleyes:

Rally
08-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Trying to keep up with the local Avon test riders from time to time, tells me there can't be much wrong with them!
I used Avon's for years, until I then switched across to Michelins. (Due to a size not being available at the time, 16" front) Now I swear by them, especially the PR3's.

the_adam
08-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I used them on the Monster with no problems. Good grip in the wet, bit scary on ice but then what isn't ;) Got around 15000 (mostly commuting) miles on this pair and there's still an acceptable amount of tread left - they now need changing because of a puncture. I've also had them on the ZX6R for nearly 2 months now, which will work out at about 4000 miles - very little wear so far :)

So to me, they're very good, noticeably cheaper than the pilot road 2s, and you can claim a free replacement if you puncture them while they're fairly new. There's nothing better for me. Can't say how they'll perform for faster riders though, I'll have the odd crazy moment but a lot of the time I have to ride to save fuel :(

bluestoesonnose
09-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Just got Pilot 3's for the 1000 and they're awesome, I moved from Road Smarts and the extra feel of the Pilot's in the wet is great.

I know I'm not the fastest of riders but I've gained new confidence in the bike with the Pilot's.

Davemak
09-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the input, folks. It looks as though it may come down to the Avons or the PR3s. I'm inclining towards the PR3s at the moment.
Thanks again,
Dave

citr2cv
11-10-2012, 10:08 PM
any tire that gets 4000 mls on is great for cost , but a compromise on grip, depends what you want & riding style you have, for touring and gen useage is ok , i prefere max grip & only get 1000 mls on the rear perilli super corsa , did a track day in michelin wets brand new tyre , knackered after a dasys use , but what grip in the wet