PDA

View Full Version : Monster 750 fork improvements??

jerry
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
OK on my S4 I put superbike 996 forks on with Ktech Ohlins internals , expensive and requires new yokes etc but was worth it as it now handles properly . and an Ohlins PRCS46 shock o the rear also expensive

Now my Monster 750 has basic non adjustable showa forks it handles much better than the S4 did on standard forks, so the issue is not handling but sometimes when pressing on they are a bit bouncy ,i dont want to replace them just make them more compliant and better rebound damping at present they have Ohlins linear springs 9nm and 5 w oil . The rear shock is still the original Sachs unit and it actually performs pretty well but as it is 12 years old will soon be upgraded to a Hagon or Shock factory unit .

any suggestions for the forks ??...eg revalve kit .heavier oil ????

gary tompkins
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I would try slightly heavier 7.5W oil

Flip
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Just wondering why Linear springs on the road?

They could be part of the problem as they tend to better suited to track use where it is (usually) a much more predictable and smooth surface whereas 'progressive' springs give a better range of damping on the road where braking can be dealt with by fairly rapid compression but still leaving some in reserve for any additional compression needed caused by bumps in the road.

jerry
07-10-2012, 07:07 PM
I have had progressive springs in HDs and some other bikes in the past and they worked well but i had some in My S4 and they made the bike unmanagable and very dangerous to ride , The monster 750 had linear springs from standard but they were too soft ,the ohlins were fitted 8 years ago I have had the bike 9 years now perhaps the fork oil needs replacing it is now 5 years old I will put 7.5w in and see.