PDA

View Full Version : piston ring compressor

jerry
06-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Ok I am having nightmares with mt 750ss trying to get the horizontal piston back in , none of my range of ring compressors fit.... I have the laser motorcycle kit but its too small by 5mm diameter max 85mm and the 750ss is 90mm also have a car set which fits round the rings OK wont fit under the skirt so no clearance .
i have tried jubilee clips and tie wraps as well nothing will work even with my pal helping , I have never had problem with compressing rings on the S4 or M750 or any other bike I have worked on , got so frustrated fiddling about I have wrecked the new base gasket so thats another £17 down the drain ,

Nickj
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I've never owned a ring comprssor of any size and never used one. I've always either squeezed the rings in with my finger nails or used some old feeler gauge blades around the piston to just let them ride in. Worked on all the singles, twins, fours and more I've played with over the years from 125s through H2s up to V8's in landies.
It was how I was shown by my old man worked for him and works for me. Never managed the tyre changing with desert spoons though.

dunlop0_1
06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I've never owned a ring comprssor of any size and never used one. I've always either squeezed the rings in with my finger nails or used some old feeler gauge blades around the piston to just let them ride in. Worked on all the singles, twins, fours and more I've played with over the years from 125s through H2s up to V8's in landies.
It was how I was shown by my old man worked for him and works for me. Never managed the tyre changing with desert spoons though.

Yep, also works for me.

Capo
06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Thats the way I do it also

jerry
06-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Sorted at last after a gallon of tea and few fingernails , the base gasket oil leak has disappeared after a test run but there is still a little weep from somaybe its the mewhere else on the right side ...methinks clutch /oil pump cover needs a new yamabond gasker or oil cooler fittings .