PDA

View Full Version : m600 will not start

northantsrich
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I can't seem to start my m600. I left it for over a week in this bad weather and it just will not start now.

The engine/starter turns over and the battery does not seem to be the issue. It sounds like its just not catching and sort of spark as I don't even get a splutter.

Any words of wisdom from any old hands at this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich

Mr Gremlin
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
ive found the float bowls empty on the missus's bike if left for a week or so.
try starting it with a quick squirt of easy start into the airbox

northantsrich
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Ok I'll get some easy start and give it a shot.

The air box is under the tank right? Where do I squirt it in?

slob
05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
seat off, tank up and spray it into the intake boot on top. tank down (careful not to kink the fuel hoses) and hit the starter.

NewMon
05-10-2012, 07:29 AM
The above is also my favoured method for persuading my M600 to start if left for a while. I now avoid this problem by riding it at least once a week whatever the weather. Good luck.

northantsrich
05-10-2012, 07:32 AM
The above is also my favoured method for persuading my M600 to start if left for a while. I now avoid this problem by riding it at least once a week whatever the weather. Good luck.

Yea whenever I rode it at least once a week I never had this issue

Dookbob
05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
You don't need to ride it once a week, as long as you start it once a week, to top up the float chambers. If I leave my M600 for more than a week or so, which I often do, then I top up the float chambers with a hypo syringe through the float chamber drains before hitting the button, saves a lot of wear on the starter system.

Sirc
05-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I hope a combination of all the above gets you going again. If it doesn't and you only get a splutter for as long as you 'feed' it via air filter, then (if your bike sat outside during that bad weather) it could be water at bottom of float bowls and within pump.

Dirty
05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
I keep turning it over for a ridiculously long time then give up and go back indoors. Usually starts up first time next day!

Mr Gremlin
05-10-2012, 11:14 PM
the problem with just winding it on the starter is that you wont be achieving anything !!
both the fuel tap and fuel pump work on vacuum from the inlet manifold. turning the engine over on the starter doesnt create enough vacuum to get the fuel moving even less so if you twist the throttle to try to catch what ever life is there. hence either priming the system with a syringe as mentioned above or use the easystart option.
if you spray some easystart and turn the engine over (keeping the tank raised) you should be able to keep it running for a few seconds with additional squirts of easystart, this should be enough to get petrol through.

Capo
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
It has been my observation that the use of easy start is akin to drugs, the engine soon refuses to start without it and wants ever increasing quantities, an addiction.

Dookbob
06-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Petrol in the right place, spark at the right time, BINGO.

gary tompkins
06-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Poor starting usually points to other underlying issues. Make sure everything is tip top.. engine well serviced, good plugs, battery and HT circuit. The older carbed monsters can be a pain to fire up in cold/damp conditions, especially if poorly maintained or left standing for long periods. Do you keep the bike on an optimate and is it garaged?

urbanfireblade
07-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Do you use choke? My M600 always needs choke in the morning or if its not been started for 6+hours, without it ive no chance of it firing up. Does your choke lever pull the cable/plungers on the carbs ok?

northantsrich
11-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Did the trick and fired up 1st time.

Thanks

470four
12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Do you use choke? My M600 always needs choke in the morning or if its not been started for 6+hours, without it ive no chance of it firing up. Does your choke lever pull the cable/plungers on the carbs ok?

+1

My SS was difficult to start from cold at first - until I discovered the choke cable had fallen out of its holder and wasnt actually working the choke at all? :mand: (Meh)

The main problem being the fuel evaporating out of the emulsion tubes, the pots can't pull any fuel in, hence will start with a sniff of easystart or similar?

Not a fan of the stuff myself, tends to dry the cylinder walls out prior to ignition causing bore & ring wear etc? :worried:

Pop the airbox top & filter off and drip a little petrol down the carb throats using a syringe ;) Try and start it frequently or it will sulk. :mand: