PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Silly fairing on M1100 evo

Cobra88
01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Guys & girls.

I'm not a fan of the frankly pointless handlebar fairing on the 1100 evo,

removed it yesterday only to find Ducati don't bother fitting a cover on the back of the clocks!

Don't really want tarty carbon
can i buy an OEM plastic one from Ducati ?

also anyone bought the Grabrail kit ?
if so does it work or was it waste of money (sell it to me) :)

Regards
Rick

johnboy44
01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
When I brought a new 696 a few months ago they gave me a black plastic cover I was told it was for if you ever decided to remove the micro bikini fairing. I don't want to part with mine as I'm thinking of doing the same myself. but my point being you should be able to get one from a dealer or better still there's probably hundreds kicking around in various garages

uksurfer
01-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Try your local Ducati dealer, I bought one for about £8

neilo
01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I got one in a plastic bag when I bought my evo...so I suggest you go ask for yours.

neilo
01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Guys & girls.
also anyone bought the Grabrail kit?
if so does it work or was it waste of money (sell it to me) :)
Regards
Rick

...and if Rick doesn't want it, I'll have it!:chuckle:

uksurfer
01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
If the grab rail kit a Ventura part?
If there the same I have the 'L' brackets from a 796 sat in the garage?

neilo
01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
If the grab rail kit a Ventura part?
If there the same I have the 'L' brackets from a 796 sat in the garage?

I think he was referring to the Ducati kit which is ~£85

JerryT
01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I have the Ducati pillion grabrails on my 696, if that's what you mean. In terms of use they are way better for a pillion than the minimalistic finger grooves under the seat. The pillion can actually wrap their hand around the bar - much more secure for them. I find they also help a lot with manouvering the bike (see gravel drive thread). As for looks, I quite like them, although that's more subjective. I don't plan to take them off any time soon, so I think you could say I think they're worth getting. Also, they don't interfere with the tail cover if you should fit it.

Scott1
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I've got one of my old 696, £5 its yours, I'm sure they are the same.

Cobra88
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi All

Phoned Parkies about grab rail kit and ordered a set on the review above ;) (Ta Jerry)

Spoke to Glen in the workshop and he has saved me a clock cover :)
Thanks for all the replies

Regards
Rick

Cobra88
01-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Sorry scott didn't read yours :(

trying to work out why this forum doesn't notify me of replies to threads i started by default :(
found it ;)

Regards
Rick

Albie
01-10-2012, 02:16 PM
If you bought ANY monster with what they called the +kit ie the mini fairing it would have come with the clock cover. I have removed my micro bikini because it does feck all but now I have lost the two brackets to put the carbon one back on. Doh !!!

solomoto
31-01-2013, 02:45 AM
I got my 2010 1100 secondhand but the rear of the clock cover was in a box of bits I was given with it. However, I want to remove the small fairing and fit the black clock cover but the two screws were missing, does anyone know the size of them so I can source some ?? would be a great help.

cheers
ian

Cobra88
31-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi Solomoto

M4 x 10mm worked on mine

Regards
Rick

neilo
31-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I got my 2010 1100 secondhand but the rear of the clock cover was in a box of bits I was given with it. However, I want to remove the small fairing and fit the black clock cover but the two screws were missing, does anyone know the size of them so I can source some ?? would be a great help.

cheers
ian

Let me know if you want some...I'll pop some in the post to you.

solomoto
31-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Had a look today and there are only two holes, if i remove the bikini behind the clocks there is a heap of wiring and two threaded holes to hold the black cover. Are you thinking the 4 for the bikini on the 2 for the cover ? its the cover ones I was after.

Thanks
ian

neilo
01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Had a look today and there are only two holes, if i remove the bikini behind the clocks there is a heap of wiring and two threaded holes to hold the black cover. Are you thinking the 4 for the bikini on the 2 for the cover ? its the cover ones I was after.

Thanks
ian

Yes, just the two you need to hold the cover on the back of the clocks. I have some stainless steel ones with flanged heads...if you want a couple, plus some spares...

solomoto
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
That would be fantastic, if you don't mind. I will pm you me address.

neilo
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
That would be fantastic, if you don't mind. I will pm you me address.

No worries.:)

simontt
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM
The bits which I got from the dealer include the 2 screws and the black plastic clock cover.

There are also 2 black large hard plastic washer (about 3 cm diameter with the hole around 1cm) - are they meant to be sued for the fitting of the plastic clock cover?

neilo
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
The bits which I got from the dealer include the 2 screws and the black plastic clock cover.

There are also 2 black large hard plastic washer (about 3 cm diameter with the hole around 1cm) - are they meant to be sued for the fitting of the plastic clock cover?

No, they're for the seat, when screwing the big bolts back in without the seat cowl.

simontt
04-02-2013, 02:08 PM
No, they're for the seat, when screwing the big bolts back in without the seat cowl.

That make perfect sense - thanks Neilo.

Will get the fairing removed tomorrow - somehow the the "shell" looking fairing looks wrong on the monster and offers next to nothing in terms of protection :)

utopia
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
...... are they meant to be sued for the fitting of the plastic clock cover?

Maybe just a stern ticking off would do on this occaision, as long as they promise never to do it again........:)

simontt
06-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Maybe just a stern ticking off would do on this occaision, as long as they promise never to do it again........:)

Thanks for pointing out the typo - shame there is no sense check function :)

Rode the bike with fairing removed yesterday - did not feel anything different , the clock remains clean despite rain, which indicates that it's just a cosmetic add-on.

The front end now looks much better - should be like that from day 1 imho.