PDA

View Full Version : Home from Belgium thread...

LouSCannon
24-09-2012, 04:32 PM
So, after getting massively sympathetic looks from people at all my petrol stops, and after almost getting lost when I wasn't sure if I should turn left or right at Noah's ark, I'm at my destination... Not quite home, but certainly as good as if not better....

Had nothing short of an epic week with Rob, we'll sort our collective photos soon no doubt. Astonishing roads and so many friendly people helping us on our way (The guys at Sliders, and of course DOC KL). Truly an amazing trip finishing with seeing our MOB friends, and old friends from UKMOC who I've not seen for an age.

I hope everyone gets home safe, albeit probably not dry....

Heiko
24-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Hope we made ​​your trip a little more unforgettable.

http://www.doc-kl.de/doc_home/components/com_agora/img/members/3/mini_UKMOC-00.jpg

It was great to meet you both!
Hope to see you again.:thumbsup:

http://www.doc-kl.de/doc_home/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=464&p=1&Itemid=28#p3300

slob
24-09-2012, 05:39 PM
It was legendary Heiko! I hope we can return the favour sometime :-D

Rob
--

Capo
24-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Jim did you get caught in the Noahs precipitation on the M20

Albie
24-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Just got back about 15 mins go. TBH it was a near death experiance on 2 counts. Being blown across the roads and almost into a ditch or under a lorry or the ferry possibly capsizing. So glad to be home from a great weekend. The company was fantastic as per usual and the venue. I nearly did not go but I suffered in silence and got on with it as best I could. Thank you for all the understanding friends I have. I could not have been there without some support.
Hoping to carry on again next year.

gary tompkins
24-09-2012, 07:07 PM
A very tired and slightly damp GT checking in

We didn't do too badly for most of the return trip today, but as Albie said we had to endure the journey from hell between Diksmuide and Dunkirk. Gale force winds and torrential rain made it one of those rides I would rather forget. Force 10 winds in the channel also made our ferry crossing a tad interesting, and we also took an hour longer to reach England. Albie didn't mention the really close call he had on the unloading ramp at Dover. The ferry was pitching all over the place in the dock, and as he tried to ride off the ramp it lifted and shifted sideways about a foot... just as his front wheel made contact :on: How Albie and Caroline stayed on is a miracle. I had to wait a while for the ramp to settle down again before attempting to ride the trike off.

The roads had dried up when we got back to UK, and rest of the trip home was fine.. if a bit windy on motorway.

I'd like to thank everyone that made the effort to come to Belgium this year. I know myself and Mark really enjoyed the weekend... despite the crappy trip back. Joris was a fantastic host as usual, and the MOB members really looked after us as well. Here's looking forward to MOB2013, which is sure to be a special weekend as it will be the Belgian's 10th anniversary.

I'm now off to run myself I nice hot bath, followed by some marmite on toast and a cuppa

BigOz
24-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi,

It was a little breezy after our lunch stop and Albie had to deal with the crosswind two up.

I hope everyone had a safe trip home.

Andy

Albie
24-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Oh yes that was a bit close to falling over GT. It went to about 6" high . I am glad I have long legs sometimes. Looks like your twat nav twatted out again out the dover docks. I was doing about average 120 on the way home. BTW thats 120Kph as I never changed it back since getting there. Now I know how to do it . Glad you got home at least.

gary tompkins
24-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi,

It was a little breezy after our lunch stop and Albie had to deal with the crosswind two up.

I hope everyone had a safe trip home.

Andy

Oz... I think you just won the prize for understatement of the year

A little breezy my arse :rolleyes:

Looks like your twat nav twatted out again out the dover docks.

Yeah.. got in the wrong lane out of customs. Saw some signs for the M20 and thought.. Bollox that'll do

Albie
24-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Some pics to enjoy.... Sorry about Martin's Ar5e crack

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albies1100s/sets/72157631614839792/show/

gary tompkins
24-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Great photo's Albie

Happy times :mand:

Rally
24-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Got home at 9.30pm myself. We had a 10 minute monsoon near Dunkirk and a short shower as we rode into the ferry terminal. (Minutes later, it was another monsoon as we watched from cover!) delayed ferries with tugs needed to push them into dock and out, and more puke on the ferry than Sid Vicious could manage in 1977, but great fun all the same.

The cross winds two up were a little to be desired on the motorways. I would like to take my hat off to my brave pillion, who took it all in her stride whilst being the pack horse as well. :D
Also a big thanks to Slob for showing me the way to the motorway from the hotel.

He11cat
25-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Glad you all got back ok ....

alan c
25-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Pleased your all home safe. Sounds like another great MOB weekend only sorry i missed it,
great photo,s Albie, think the donkey has his eye on Martin !

Shuffy
25-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Despite the terrible weather yesterday, it looked like another great weekend. Glad everyone got back in one piece.

Char
25-09-2012, 09:46 AM
managed to stay dry and warm on the trip from Belgium to Le Havre , some rain and quite 'blustery'- found the traction control on the SF did its job well - good waterproof gear and heated grips helps to

A fair old trip but got to the ferry on time and not tired

Crossing was a bit bumpy but not that bad at all considering - bikes were first off at Portsmouth and quick blat back to Southampton

Back home now and about to give her a good clean

Enjoyed the trip and as always food was :eyepopping:

Will post some pictures later - none of Martin's crack but I will check,,,,,

Rally
25-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Will post some pictures later - none of Martin's crack but I will check,,,,,

Good job he wasn't with us coming home with his crack, the sniffer dogs were on the dockside yesterday in Calais! :mand:

gary tompkins
25-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Letting the sniffer dogs loose on Martin's crack is an act of animal cruelty

Would probably put the poor things in a coma

scrapps
25-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Glad your all home safe after a rough trip back,looks like you all had a great weekend.

gary tompkins
25-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Slideshow of Mark's photo's as I didn't pack my camera :o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38816868@N04/sets/72157631621783378/show/

MOB_Sven
25-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Hi, is it possible to send me the picture 1936 in full format by dropbox or something like that?

Albie
25-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi, is it possible to send me the picture 1936 in full format by dropbox or something like that?

Done via email I think

ladybird
26-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Golly gosh what a blustery journey that was, same as most with a fight to stay on the straight and my mad skillz of being able to corner upright came in handy ;) ... we had to veer off the the motorway and happened to top at the chocolate and fag shop and watch the bikes wobbling on their stands for a few minutes before heading on to Calais.

Arrived on time to check in and then sat in the queue to check in which for some reason our lane was moving at a third of the speed of the others.
We then had the small matter of being bumped 2 ferries and a 2 hour wait in the car park with the worlds most repetititve single music track they decided to pump out of the t-annoy ... and the choppy and bathroom related event on the ferry ... they really should sort out the potholes in the sea and the suspension on them ferries as well as that tv channel showing from the windows that was all sea and then sky alternaively ... then I put a foot in something slippy leaving the deck and bottled it on the down ramp and both hands clamping the levers and not being able to move for a moment while people shouted at me.
Avoided the M2 as couldn't face the thought of more wind on the bridge and set off on the M20 where some guy almost manged to wipe Gadget out from in front of me on on the as he pulled in without looking.
Wasn't til we got back I saw that my face seemed to have been strip blasted by the bad weather and was all pink and blotchy (well more than normal :) ) but a good scrub and some moisturiser fixed that.

I've managed at least 30 hours of sleep since then :)

I don't envy anyone who was two up for that and glad everyone is safe and sound. And I'm definitely getting new tyres this week!

Roll on 2013! :)

rollo22
26-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Got back safe and sound as Char said a bit windy and a sprinkling of rain.
Many thanks to Martin for the bed on Monday night

JerryT
26-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow! Sounds like you all had quite a memorable trip all round.

Glad everyone lived to tell the tale!
:thumbsup:

J.P
26-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Some great photo's Albs. Looks like you had good weather for most of the time, sorry to hear about the way back. :)

Albie
26-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Some great photo's Albs. Looks like you had good weather for most of the time, sorry to hear about the way back. :)

Thanks. It was something we had to just get on with and at least we got home. Caroline admitted she was very very scared. Bless her !!

Hope your journey was also epic

gary tompkins
26-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi J.P

Looking forward to catching up and seeing the pictures of your trip

Did the Evo behave itself in the end... or did you use the multi?

J.P
27-09-2012, 07:00 AM
It was the Multi because of the extra miles I did and wanted the luxury of more space.

MOB Carine
27-09-2012, 07:13 PM
So to hear a good-sized storm accompanied you to the UK. I hope you’re all safe and sound at home.
Thank you for your visit. The MOB is looking forward to meet you again next year at the UKMOC weekender.

Here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152132359635223&set=a.10152132351875223.904595.153753890222&type=1&theater) you can view some photos on facebook and this (http://imgur.com/a/dW3tk#0) is the link to the photos made by Robby.

See you!!

slob
27-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Vale's let himself go a bit
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/301213_10152132363250223_1416742114_n.jpg

gary tompkins
28-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Kato will be pleased