PDA

View Full Version : Asked to get off my bike when filling up

SunEye
17-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Today when I stopped at Cherwell Valley services on the M40 to fill up I was told that I had to get off my bike to fill up. When I went to pay I asked why. I was told that it was for my own safety. If I spilled fuel and it caught light then if I was sitting on the bike I would not be able to get away from the fire quickly. Apparently more and more filling stations will ask you to do this.

Has anyone else been told to get off their bike to fill up?

Does anyone know of any instances of bikers at filling stations setting themselves alight because they were sitting on their bike when filling up?

Are they trying to protect us from something that doesn't happen?

spacemonkey
17-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Been going on for ages, but I really can't see the problem. You have to get off to pay so what's the problem? Why do people want to sit on the bike to fill up? Not being a ****, I'm genuinely curious as to what I'm missing..?

d8mok
17-09-2012, 09:21 PM
As it allows you to get more fuel in

Capo
17-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Having the bike upright permits more fuel.
I rather suspect its one of those anti bilking measures
I'm tired of being told things are for my own safety, I'll take care of that thank you

Gilps
17-09-2012, 09:35 PM
How can it get more fuel in? Surely when you put it on the sidestand to go pay the extra fuel just flows out of the top of the breather in the cap.

Gordon H
17-09-2012, 09:42 PM
How can it get more fuel in? Surely when you put it on the sidestand to go pay the extra fuel just flows out of the top of the breather in the cap.

Yep - brimmed the 748 on Sunday morning and it promptly dumped a load out the drain / breather as soon as I put it on the side stand.....

Sirc
17-09-2012, 09:55 PM
have to say i've recently begun to fill tank with bike upright on the Monster as it does seem easier to brim due to the shape of the (early steel) tank. This is the only Ducati/Cagiva I own to benefit from it.

JMo
17-09-2012, 10:07 PM
It is nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with trying to stop people riding off without paying... I wish the petrol companies would just be upfront about it!

As Spacemonkey says, you have to get off anyway to go and pay, and as Gilps points out, any extra fuel you might manage to get in there is likely to go down the overflow as soon as you get off the bike to go and pay anyway...

If you are really desperate to get another quarter litre into your tank, I guess you could always ride up really close to a pay-at-pump pump, insert your card and then shuffle forwards to fill up, then shuffle backwards to retrieve your receipt, then...

life is a bit short!

Jx

Qba
17-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeap, off the bike + helmet off :banghead:
Great, especially when being in the rush.

Sirc
17-09-2012, 10:35 PM
as Gilps points out, any extra fuel you might manage to get in there is likely to go down the overflow as soon as you get off the bike to go and pay anyway...

If you are really desperate to get another quarter litre into your tank

never any out the overflow with me plus we're talking an extra litre plus here - does yours have a steel tank jmo? can't really generalise on Monsters here as the tanks are so different and can only speak for mine..

Paivi
17-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I fill up while on my bike, as I've noticed a lot of forecourts are awash with diesel, making them very slippery. I once almost went arse over tit(s) when I stepped on a patch as I got off my bike.

Now I fill up, ride to the front/side of the building and go inside to pay. Maybe there's no bike-related bilking in London...

utopia
17-09-2012, 11:37 PM
There's a world of difference between being TOLD to get off your bike, and being advised that your safety might be compromised by staying on it.
I agree with jmo, its just to prevent "dodgy-looking" bikers from nicking fuel.
Its an insult, and the sham about it being for our own safety makes it worse.

Mind you, I had similar feelings about being told to remove my helmet in shops (if I'm only popping in for a single item), but having seen the recent attempted theft at Ducati Croydon, I've modified my opinion on that one.

I guess its necessary to take a broad view of such things, but I object strongly to being bull****ted.

Saint aka ML
18-09-2012, 03:37 AM
On side stand i will get about 3l less of petrol in on steel tank. I have to put bike up jiggle and fill up more few times if i were to listen to them.

Headhunter
18-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Have to do it all the time. At first it was annoying but you know what...it's really not that much hassle and sometimes is a welcome stretch when sat on your arse for the past hour or so.

Completely agree with Utopia's latter comment re going into a shop. It's polite for a start and also doesn't scare the beejesus out of the assistant - well, unless you're ugly like some members on here and it's just better to keep it on! :mand:

Saint aka ML
18-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Also do not understand how getting of the bike to fill up will stop anyone riding off? You fill up, you get back on and ride off.

uksurfer
18-09-2012, 06:22 AM
i'm happy to get off to fill up nowadays, but then im generally not in a rush to go many places

probably dont get off at my local tescos as i pay by card, ride in, fill up, ride off

i wonder how much happier the shop asisitant would be if you took your lid of and had a balalclava on underneath - sure make for an interesting scenario

JMo
18-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Also do not understand how getting of the bike to fill up will stop anyone riding off? You fill up, you get back on and ride off.

I agree, which it why it is such a misguided thing to ask... however, I imagine the presumption being that you are 'poised ready to run' being sat on the bike...

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying people are paranoid...

At the end of the day, as others have said - is it really such a big deal to get off your bike for a couple of minutes, and likewise take off your helmet? - If nothing else it is polite, and who knows, might help stop people feeling paranoid?!

Jx

JMo
18-09-2012, 07:34 AM
never any out the overflow with me plus we're talking an extra litre plus here - does yours have a steel tank jmo? can't really generalise on Monsters here as the tanks are so different and can only speak for mine..

I've had it overflow either, but then I fill up on the side stand and call it good.

I have a steel tank on my bike at the moment (I also have a second set of bodywork which has a plastic tank), and of course 'technically' you are only meant to fill it to the bottom of the rubber neck thingy anyway...

Sure if you ignore that, you might get a litre or more (or three in Saint's case!) in, but really what is the point? - it's not like we are short of petrol stations here in the UK, and you're going to have to stop a few miles up the road anyway...

If you want a bowser, buy a BMW GS Adventure!

Jx

Sirc
18-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Sure if you ignore that, you might get a litre or more (or three in Saint's case!) in, but really what is the point?

Jx

a litre or more is well worth it for me at the mo as i'm still getting used to such a small tank and reserve is possibly lighting up earlier than it should. I will see just how much extra I can get in as it's possibly a lot more!

Saint aka ML
18-09-2012, 08:41 AM
a litre or more is well worth it for me at the mo as i'm still getting used to such a small tank and reserve is possibly lighting up earlier than it should. I will see just how much extra I can get in as it's possibly a lot more!

Sirc there is stupid air bubble collecting in tank if it is slightly sideways. What I do is brim till rubber thing, then wobble and see it drop well below to brim again. On side stand I have to do that few times to get same effect. Then there is standing in biker boots balancing bike with one hand on slippery, diesel dirty four court with cars sometime passing behind my back with cm to spare. Not my idea of fun.

anthonyas11
18-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I filled up at my local tesco the other day, left the engine running because the battery was flat and had jump started it, paid at pump so didn't get off the bike. Drove back round the corner to go home and as I got off had a friendly chat with a police officer saying leaving the engine running could be classed as dangerous driving. Didn't mention the not getting off mind!

Saint aka ML
18-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I filled up at my local tesco the other day, left the engine running because the battery was flat and had jump started it, paid at pump so didn't get off the bike. Drove back round the corner to go home and as I got off had a friendly chat with a police officer saying leaving the engine running could be classed as dangerous driving. Didn't mention the not getting off mind!

And how is that being away from bike while engine on is not quite driving :)

Gilps
18-09-2012, 09:11 AM

I would have thanked him politely for his friendly advice, and told him that I can't be done for dangerous driving on private land.

J_Dub
18-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I would have thanked him politely for his friendly advice, and told him that I can't be done for dangerous driving on private land.

No I think that is wrong. Road traffic act 1991 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/40/section/1)

anthonyas11
18-09-2012, 10:34 AM
He was a biker to be fair and when I explained my predicament and thought trying to then bump start it away from the pumps with the diesel etc he was pretty laid back about it and said if I had a BMW I wouldn't have those problems.

spacemonkey
18-09-2012, 10:40 AM
He was a biker to be fair and when I explained my predicament and thought trying to then bump start it away from the pumps with the diesel etc he was pretty laid back about it and said if I had a BMW I wouldn't have those problems.

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Fair enough! If I use my bike for commuting I would have to fill up before leaving and before leaving work too as it's 100 miles each way and my tank only gives 165 or so. So extra litre doesn't bother me. I've managed to trickle it in to the top on it's side before but I'd like a bit of breather space to be honest- all that heat from an air cooled engine has to go up and that petrol would like something to expand into.....:cool:

pegboy
18-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I fill up while on my bike, as I've noticed a lot of forecourts are awash with diesel, making them very slippery. I once almost went arse over tit(s) when I stepped on a patch as I got off my bike.

Now I fill up, ride to the front/side of the building and go inside to pay. Maybe there's no bike-related bilking in London...

Agree with the slippery forecourt, i got off the bike a few weeks back and ended up on my ass, luckily the bike stayed upright on the stand, complained inside and told them it was very slippery and very dangerous and also threw in the Health and Safety implications, following week it was all clean, they don't want to be sued or the publicity.:mand:

I have been asked to remove my helmet a few times, it really pi55es me off but i do understand, i try and fill up as close to the front as possible and make a point of removing my gloves so the peeps inside see i just want fuel and will not ride off.

gary tompkins
18-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Yep - brimmed the 748 on Sunday morning and it promptly dumped a load out the drain / breather as soon as I put it on the side stand.....

Another slight adavantage of the trike - No problem with filling tank to the brim at petrol stops.

They still make me take my lid off occasionally though. Wouldn't have minded ordinarily... but last time it happened I was wearing an open face lid FFS!

Jobsworth Tossers :mad:

Char
18-09-2012, 12:32 PM
:mand:The only time I've been told off on a forecourt is in a car when I've made the kids get out and fill up (yes they were 16)

I do keep my lid on as its such a faff taking it off - I normally have headphones in to, so probably couldn't hear if they did ask me :mand: - not that I would object, just never been asked

Sometimes I sit sometimes I stand - according to research more and more men are sitting _ I wonder if this has anything to do with anything

JerryT
18-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I usually get off the bike and remove helmet and gloves. If it pisses others off waiting behind me too bad. I understand the jumpiness at some petrol stations that have suffered from repeated fill 'n run robberies so I guess it shows you're a pukka customer - robbers unlikely to remove kit to fill up. Yes it's a pain and I do sometimes leave the lid on when it's my local shell station and they mostly know me. If I can see the forecourt clearly as I'm approaching (from either side of the road) I will always look for spilt fuel and pick an available pump which has the cleanest ground surface next to it. When possible!
I did read somewhere that more men in Germany are sitting down these days, but then they are a bit different over there... :toilet:

JerryT
18-09-2012, 12:53 PM
The point about slippery forecourts is a good one too, and if more of us pointed it out to the staff and that it is a genuine H&S risk one assumes they will have to do something about it and things might just improve!

Dinkybiker
18-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Sainsburys in Swindon seem (at the moment) happy for me to stay sat on bike while filling up and so far I've not been asked to remove helmet when paying either.
Friends in Trowbridge when they filled their bikes at a pay at pump in Tescos, where, I might add the card details are recorded before you fill up were told over the tannoy to get off their bikes or the staff wouldn't switch the pump on.

Capo
18-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I no longer use Shell stations for anything, they have a long list of prohibitions in addition to no helmet, no eating or drinking FFS.