PDA

View Full Version : Dynojetting an M600?

hog
13-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Hi all,

In a quest to smooth out the running (esp. when cold) and improve response etc. is it worth me getting my M600 (1994 model) dynojetted? I know it is popular with the M900s but haven't heard too much regarding this mod on the smaller engine.

I already have some race cans (Sils) fitted and the carbs have been balanced, so as I understand it, a stage 2 kit (jets + filter) would complement the exhaust quite well. What can I expect from getting it done?

And what sort of money should I expect to pay to have it done by a garage?

Thanks in advance (as always!)

Howard

P.S. Happy Xmas!

gary tompkins
14-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Hog,

Jetting the carbs can be a PITA job. Battery, coils and airbox have to be removed first before carbs can be got at. Had my 600 dynojetted by Brands Hatch Performance, it cost around £200 and along with race cans gave me an extra 3-4bhp on the dyno. What was more noticable was the improved pick up and acceleration in the midrange.

IMO worth doing but best to use someone with experience of monsters, as BHP struggled to set mine up properly and I had to go back to get carbs re-balenced/idle mixture reset.

I know two members that have had bikes tuned by PDQ and Pro Twins with good results, also Dave Wood Racing in Aylesbury is worth a call.
;)

Spanner
15-12-2003, 12:33 PM
I've got a stage 1 kit on my 600. It's definitely worth doing. You won't be blown away with oodles of extra power but you'll notice how much smoother the power is. The engine becomes more responsive too. It's well worth doing. You might as well make the most out of your cans!

superlight3
15-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm with DRC on this one.

Whilst the 600 (and 750 for that matter) are sweet reving non-tempermental engines as standard, they really do respond well to a bit of tuning.

'Opening-them-up' is the best way to go for a start, not only will you find the engine much more responsive, but bizarrely you might also get more mpg out of the bike..! :confused:

Give us a bell if you need more information.

Cheers.

Lee.

gary tompkins
15-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Forgot to say that mine was a Stage 2 kit - new carb slide springs, main jets, needles. A K&N filter in standard airbox and Moto Arbo alloy cans.

hog
15-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Sound like it may be a worthwhile post-xmas investment. Is £200 about right for a garage to be fitting this (I am used to new school fuel injection not ye olde fangled carbs and do not trust myself to do the work!)

And does anyone know anything about the Factory Pro kit as opposed to the Dynojet kit. The USA forum seems to hold this kit in higher regard than the Dynojet.

Cheers

Howard

Spanner
17-12-2003, 08:24 AM
But the Americans like Harley Davidsons!! Think of that what you will.

Lowsider
18-08-2004, 09:57 PM
sorry to bring this ageing thread back to life but I have just put some highlevel Termi's on my M600. How much of a benefit are Dynojet Level 2 kits and would it do anything for fuel economy as well.

Cheers :D

hog
18-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Apart from the difference in noise (huge induction growl), I have certainly noticed a more responsive pick up and the engine feels much more torquey - basically in any gear if you open it up the bike picks up and goes.

And my fuel economy has now gone mental - 180 miles before the fuel light comes on is not unusual now.

I would on balance recommend having it done. Makes the bike smoother revving and I gained about 5 BHP and more torque.

Hope this helps

Hog

A Yerbury
19-08-2004, 09:24 AM
stage 2 on mine also kn, carbs and sils, if you can get it done it s a lot less bother as getting to the carbs as mentioned is something of a mare plus they ll be balanced at the same time. Duncan took his carbs out for the kit and found plenty of fused srcews etc my bike is about the same age and the carbs were pretty filthy. all tickety boo now and a 14 tooth front sprock bites nicely, so more feel lower down.

madhatter
19-08-2004, 09:28 AM
....basically in any gear if you open it up the bike picks up and goes...fuel economy has now gone mental - 180 miles before the fuel light comes on.....I would on balance recommend having it done....makes the bike smoother revving and I gained about 5 BHP and more torque.Hog

Very interesting, I have changed the existing Ducati Cans over to a set of ART cans, which not only sound deeper, but seem to have improved both the steadiness of the bike when holding at 30mph and the overall pick-up. As mine is a 750, with fuel consumption of around 110 miles per tank. I have been thinking about the benefits that Dynojetting would bring. Sounds worthwhile from what you are saying.

Mine is a 1997 750 "Carb fed" Monnie. What changes (other than the cans) did you finally end up doing and what did it cost you??

Any other recommendations from other members (other than buy an S4R of course), please.

Little Monster
21-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I've got ARTS, same as Madhatter......M600 though. Will it make the bike smoother in 1st gear? I find it a bit snatchy, partic when not warmed up.

A Yerbury
21-08-2004, 06:20 PM
yes but again I CAN NOT OVERSTATE THE IMEDIATE AND CHEP BENEFITS OF A TOOTH DOWN ON THE FRONT SPROCKET. ACTUALLY MCN RAN AN ARTICLE ON THIS A WHILE BACK. caps apologies. any way the gist was that this simple mod that costs around 15 squid tops will make just as much real world difference as £££££s spent on carbs, chips etc and on carb 600s it stops all that spluttery snatchy 1st gear stuff. changing a sprocket is much easier than even getting to the carbs nevermind replacing springs and jet needles.
AY
ok my carbs have been done but as a cheap first step u may find its all you need.

spacemonkey
22-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Cannot agree enough with the comment about the 14tooth sprocket. It is a lumpy bugger around town, but this mod raises the revs just enough to make the bike smooth at the critical speeds that we ride at. The dynojetting is also ESSENTIAL. When I bought my bike someone had fitted loud cans and totally messed up the fuelling. It was running so rich that it was burning oil like mad due to bore wash. I had to put new rings in and a top end overhaul was required. All could have been avoided with a proper dyno set up session. When I had it setup the difference was amazing. The bike ran far better in the cold, and was generally much crisper, and the fuel economy improved dramatically.

Do it. Do it now...

Little Monster
22-08-2004, 06:02 PM
oooh. not heard the tip about the sprocket before. am liking that a lot. I am soooooo lazy i haven't even pulled the plugs to see what's going on 'down there' since i put the cans on. Don't worry - i'm slapping my own wrists.

Blimey - what a bike if i do the lot!! :bunny: