PDA

View Full Version : Hanging up my leathers for good

desmo
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
So after over 30 years of riding, I have decided to hang up my leathers for good.
It's been a blast, I have seen some brilliant sights, ridden all over Europe & the UK, met some wonderful people (including many on this forum) & lived to tell the tale.

WE all have to stop sometime & I trust my instincts to tell me it's time I stopped.
I won't be a stranger on here, because I will always maintain my interest in bikes & Ducati's in particular.

I also have a very nice Ducati Monster S2R1000 (08 Model) to sell which is fitted with lot's of extra's, I will take some photo's in the next few days & put up an advert

Cheers all.
Desmo (Phil)

utopia
13-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Well naturally a lot of us will be resisting the temptation to say "don't do it".
I'm sure you have your reasons though.
I can only wish you a happy "retirement".
Mind you "for good" does seem a little strong for someone who's profile lists bikes 3 times in the "interests" section.
Maybe you should consider leaving yourself a little room for manoeuvre....?

Damn...I was trying not to say "don't do it".
Sorry... I'm sure that's not helpful at all......:biggrin:

Rally
13-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Blimey Phil, does that go for Roz as well?

That's a big step to take after what you describe as so much fun. Why not keep a little run around 600 or something for those local Sunday ride outs? Good luck to you with whatever direction you take.

Nickj
13-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Get one of those indian built enfields, pipe, flat cap (reveresed of course) and somse cosy slippers and doff doff doff into the sunset. ;)
Wherever you end up as long as it suits you and you end up happy with what you do then it's got to be good.

NewMon
13-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I respect your decision. I have been riding for 20+ years and am starting to look at 'comfortable' bikes (to sit next to the monster in the garage of course). My ambition is to become one of those unflappable, fat, bearded old geezers who rides faster and smoother on a pan-european than some youngster on a 'blade.

Stafford
13-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I've certainly had thoughts along similar lines recently where road riding has been no fun at all with the roads just being so busy. My thoughts were to just have a track bike and an off road of some sort and enjoy Salisbury Plain and other green lane activities. Yet to go down that path yet and get the pipe out.

gary tompkins
13-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Yet to go down that path yet and get the pipe out.

I'm sure Gordon can advise on the correct pipe and slipper etiquette when required

Twentytoo
13-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I've certainly had thoughts along similar lines recently where road riding has been no fun at all with the roads just being so busy. My thoughts were to just have a track bike and an off road of some sort and enjoy Salisbury Plain and other green lane activities. Yet to go down that path yet and get the pipe out.

I've been feeling like this as well of late......Losing the motivation to go for a blast and put myself in the path of whats seems like an increasing amount idiots on the road.....track riding 'feels' safer but is it a false sense of security??.....my wife is telling me they are both as dangerous....Not helping that my brother in law had a low speed off a month ago, hurt himself pretty badly for the speed and wrote his Monster off....Can't stop loving bikes though...

Albie
13-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I cannot say I blame you. I am not far from being just a spur of the moment rider. Doing just around 250 miles on my monster this year. I am hoping to carry on but I fear my health will win. If you change your mind Phil good on you but I am sure you have your reasons. Luckily I still have an engineering interest which keeps me happy with the off roaders. Thank goodness for that.

Gordon H
13-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm sure Gordon can advise on the correct pipe and slipper etiquette when required

Like I didn't see that one coming... :banghead:

MrsC_772
13-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Sorry to hear you're giving up Phil - always sad when someone decides to call it a day - but I guess better to go out on a high note, having enjoyed a happy biking career than being forced by circumstances (a crash) to stop.

Hope your very tidy S2R finds a good home in the club.

All the best

Grumpy
13-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Several years back, I was not enjoying riding like I use to in my 30's.
A change of bike (bought a Griso,although I still love riding my monster, when I finally put it back on the road!) followed more recently with a change of life (divorce!) Has re lite my joy of riding. I have been away on long weekends, across europe and been to the TT practice week this year.
Yes the roads are busier than when I started riding, but the same could be said for someone like my father, who is nearly 80. He has seen many changes on our roads!
Whist I respect Desmo's decision, as Utopia commented, forever is a long time.
So in short, no flat cap, pipe and slippers for me. Infact roll on the next 30yrs of riding!

uksurfer
13-09-2012, 07:21 PM
plenty of time left for lots of hobbies, take it easy mate

(is it the 18 thats taking up alot of time?)

northantsrich
13-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I cannot say I blame you. I am not far from being just a spur of the moment rider. Doing just around 250 miles on my monster this year. I am hoping to carry on but I fear my health will win. If you change your mind Phil good on you but I am sure you have your reasons. Luckily I still have an engineering interest which keeps me happy with the off roaders. Thank goodness for that.

250 a year. I did that last weekend!!

Rally
13-09-2012, 08:42 PM
250 a year. I did that last weekend!!

What he didn't tell you was the miles he has done on my bikes and his others as well! Lol

JerryT
13-09-2012, 09:07 PM
You should do what you want & please yourself. It's your life and your hobbies/interests are your own affair. Good luck for the future - just remember, you can always change your mind later! As for me, I am 51 today and greatly enjoying my return to biking after a 17 year break. Rode the 696 in to work today, enjoying a crisp September morning with mists over the fields and a dazzling Sun low in my eyes. Would I rather be in the car - no. Would I rather be cycling? Well I did that yesterday, so no, not today. Today was a Ducati morning and it was glorious. If today's road conditions are putting you off, and they nearly put me off returning to bikes, consider doing Advanced Rider training, like a RoSPA test. If you have never done it, it might re-kindle your interest, even after 30 years. I'm very glad I did it. I ride both faster and yet more safely than I did before. In fact, I think I may be becoming one of those characters NewMon aspires to be. Except for being fat... and it might eventually have to be a Multistrada 1200 rather than a Pan.

Good Luck selling the Monster.

Take Care ;-)

LVC
13-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Don't know your reasons but am sure you have them - either way enjoy what you do and if you don't, do something else, life's too short to waste it.

Over the last two years my Monster has done no more than 200 miles - why .... she needs a belt change and other bits (well well overdue) and I'm riding less and less my other roadbikes - lost a lot of interest and only ride now if I have to (I run the security on organised rides) - however I'm still heavily into the mechanics (8 bikes, 3 quads, 3 cars and 2 jetskis - not mentioning the tractors) and at the moment this is what I enjoy - however tomorrow is a different day.

A wise man once said "Do you what takes your fancy today, don't put it off, just do it and if you like it, do it again tomorrow".

desmo
13-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments.
Roz was my pillion for many years before taking the plunge / passing her test & getting her own bike, so I have quite a few years extra riding experience on her, she isn't ready to call it a day yet so you all may bump into her on her bike a some point. (not literally I hope)

As for me, I am completely comfortable with my decision, I feel as though I have done all there is to do on a bike, I miss that butterflies in stomach feeling I had years ago in anticipation of my next bike ride or adventure, I am riding better than ever, I haven't had an off or a near miss in years & I feel really safe even when the weather is iffy, but & it's a big but, we all put ourselves at considerable risk riding a bike day after day, because it's a passion & we love the freedom & sensation of riding a bike & meeting like minded people.
It's just when the passion goes, is it really worth the risk?

I am 52 now, I took up golf last year as a hobby & to keep fit, the problem is I now get those butterflies in the stomach before I play golf like I used to with the bike, I have even got reasonably good at it & occasionally the ball even goes where I am aiming!!

I am fortunate, in that the hours I work I avoid the rush hour traffic, so I don't really need a bike to commute on (all bikers & ex-bikers hate being stuck in traffic)

But the best thing of all is that looking back it's been fantastic & I wouldn't change a thing, (except maybe I would have given up sportsbikes sooner for a Monster) but I am fortunate to have experienced things only biking can bring & I feel as though I am retiring at the right time, it would be a shame if something were to happen that would sour all my happy memories of 30 years of biking.

Once again, thanks all.
Desmo (Phil)

urbanfireblade
14-09-2012, 10:59 AM
If i gave up motorbiking tomorrow, i could sit down and spend the rest of my life smiling and laughing at all the fantastic memories i have, from being a whipper-snapper at 16 on my Yamaha DT50, thru to now at 33, and its all thanks to motorbiking :thumbsup: Having good memories about bikes you owned, rides you had, people you met, those moments are what make biking worth it, priceless they are.

utopia
14-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, I might not act it but I'm older than you are, Desmo, but I have no plans to hang up my leathers.
I started biking in the early 70s, had a lay-off in the 90s when my enthusiasm may have dwindled slightly, but it returned.
My current 750 is worth less than £2k and I don't think its ever going to depreciate a lot more, so I plan to keep it forever, which means that I'll always have the option of biking, even if I reduce my mileage considerably as I get older.
Shame that yours is worth significantly more. Otherwise I'd be encouraging you to do the same.
Still, maybe you'll still have the option of an occaisional borrow of Roz's bike.

I have to say that I've recently been thinking that dangerous sports may be a sensible thing to do more of in later life. After all, there's less future to lose now, in the event of an "incident". Might be better to go out in a blaze of adrenalin than to fizzle out slowly. Have you SEEN those wing-suits ...!!!!

But seriously, its your decision and I'm sure you've made one that is sensible and right for you.
And anyway, you can always change your mind.

Char
14-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Well we hope you wont be a stranger and still pop to breakfast meets for a brew

Thirdway
14-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Most bikers go through this. Either because they have found an alternative or they have just become frightened ( or their families have ).

I got close to packing in a few years back for a variety of reasons. My wife persuaded me to stick with it and I'm glad I did. Most riders seem to stay young at heart and lose it when they stop.

In the end it's a personal thing, no one can tell you.

BeePee
14-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I got to the age of 33 with owning bikes for 15 years of mostly the latest fastest sportbike on the market, I know this to be true as well.
My son was 2 and I hadn't ridden the bike for a whole year, I sold up and never looked back, even resisted the urge to watch the racing on telly.
Over 10 years of off roading with quads and drifting them on wet streets and I couldn't resist any longer so I fulfilled my dream of owning a Ducati and I am absolutely loving it, I wish I had bought that 916 engined monster I test drove years ago before selling up all my bike gear.

The bike bug will NEVER leave you and old guys in my area wish they could take my Monster for a blast and reminisce days gone by when they travelled about on their bikes.

Check out some of my videos on the quads, was an absolute riot and great fun, even fine tuned the senses for returning to the roads.

Good luck in your quest and God speed :-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/beepee700?feature=mhee

Capo
14-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I have no intention of giving up riding fast motorcycles any time soon. But my rides are of my choosing.

Twentytoo
15-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I have to say that I've recently been thinking that dangerous sports may be a sensible thing to do more of in later life. After all, there's less future to lose now, in the event of an "incident". Might be better to go out in a blaze of adrenalin than to fizzle out slowly. Have you SEEN those wing-suits ...!!!!

Never thought of it like that! The only floor in this plan is becoming more aware of your own mortality as you get older. I still cringe when I look back at flying aerobatics when my kids were still babies. What was I thinking? Thing is, now they are older I just couldn't consider ever doing it again for fear of......well hitting the earth at a great velocity!

On a separate note this is a great thread and really interesting/settling so thanks and all the best to Desmo....

BluprintZ
16-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I still have a gander on here now 'n then, although i don't log in unless i feel the need to say something.
In a way, i can understand why Phil is "retiring" from biking, after 42 years of riding and owning a lot of bikes, it's quite possible that i might also have to follow suit within the next few months.
Over the last 12 months, i've been seeing a laydee that i used to work with in the shoe industry in the 80's and it's highly likely that i'll be moving in with her fairly soon, which will mean a move back to Rossendale in Lancs, which is where i was born, back in '54.
The reason the bikes will probably have to go, is because three years ago, she had a brain bleed and was in hospital for over a year, two other friends didn't survive a similar condition, so she was very fortunate to have survived.
She's learning to walk again, although it's doubtful she will ever be 100%, due to nerves that were damaged during the op, so we have decided that i'll move in and be her carer (as well, ahem).
We all have our reasons for finally hanging the leathers up and at 58 years old, i can look back on the amazing times and adventures i've had over the years and hopefully have a few more with my lady (stop s******ing at the back Tompkins).
The one thing i am glad i did, was to own the M900 and ride it round the Isle of man in 2008, something to tick off on the "to do" list of achievements in life, plus winning the "Spirito De Mostro" award at the 2009 weekender, where i also met some brilliant people who i'm still quite fond of.
Quite a few of you are on Facebook, so you will be seeing how things progress and i'll still pop on here for a natter when the occasion arises.
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread Phil, have a good "retirement" mate, i fully intend doing so.

Ciao for now.

George :thumbsup: