PDA

View Full Version : I think the last owner had one arm longer then the other!

SteveF
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I think the last owner had one arm longer then the other, the bars fitted to this monster look home made and sit at different heights, I have checked to see if they are damaged from being dropped, but the ends show no sign of damage.

http://www.fte.co.uk/duke/bars.jpg

And the quality of the risers, and master cylinder clamps is truly horrific, you can see the gap on the caps of the risers in the photo. But some used parts will be on the way soon thanks to spankyblundell to put things right.

utopia
08-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Your dotted line doesn't look quite level, and maybe adds to the error in the bars, but I guess you can see it better in the flesh.
Are the homemade risers the same length ?
The levers aren't the same height each side either.

He11cat
08-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Most strange :)

NewMon
08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Putting aside the shonky workmanship, it makes sense that the owner adjusted things to suit her/him. That's one of the nice things about bikes with proper bars. I've also adjusted my levers to suit my grip and style.

Or maybe they were going for the Rat look?

PhilLew
08-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Just wear two pairs of gloves on your left hand and it'll be fine :-)

slob
08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Is there a gap at the front of the riser caps? Are they on backwards. There has to be a gap on one side, usually the front. One side is tightened right down, the other clamps the bar itself, hence the gap.

gary tompkins
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
If the grips sit at different heights I suspect your bars are bent, and they can bend pretty easily in a prang

The dented tank also suggests it's had at least one bike/tarmac interface in it's past

Check the lock stops on frame and lower yoke. These are also easily damaged in crashes.

Albie
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Is there a gap at the front of the riser caps? Are they on backwards. There has to be a gap on one side, usually the front. One side is tightened right down, the other clamps the bar itself, hence the gap.

They dont look like stock clamps to me. I am reading that he made his own of them too along with the reservoir /lever clamps. TBH the tank might not always sit flat and thats fabricated so could not be square to measure. The line does not follow the the line of the filler cap either.
Personally I wouldn't be worrying but just making sure whats on there is same heights and radius's etc. I would either go back to stock or invest in some that are reputable and correct.

SteveF
08-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi Guys the gap on the riser clamps is the same both sides, they are just badly made. I have removed the bars and they are not square/level/even, I think the same amount of care was taken making the bars as the clamps! :banghead:

Gary I have had a look at the lock stops, and there seems to be no damage. The dent on the tank was done by the last owner, he dropped it in the garage when he was moving it around! He was honest as when I went to look at it, it had a Baglux cover fitted so could not see the dent.

I have got a set of stock risers on the way along with bars and some master cylinder clamps, so that is going to be an evenings work at some point.

manwithredbike
09-09-2012, 11:54 AM
easily fixed

Nickj
09-09-2012, 04:49 PM
What you seem to have failed to consider is that infact the previous owner was totally normal and it is you that has the odd shape!
A session staring at a mirror would be in order ;)

SteveF
09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I know I have one leg longer then the other will have to check my arms, but I think I prefer the easy fix!

Nickj
09-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Ahh so you'll be raising one of the pegs instead ;)

Some people shouldn't be let loose with a bag of spanners and a collection of random parts!