PDA

View Full Version : A short evening's ride.

utopia
03-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Tonight was the monthly pub singaround, so I took the back route out of east leicester as evening was approaching and the nearly full moon was rising in front of me (a blue moon as it happens, or so I'm told).
Having recently sidelined my car, I was on the Ducati and banking on borrowing a guitar from someone there.
I was heading for possibly my favourite stretch of road... Tilton lane is a winding, two mile country climb around Billesdon Coplow, to Tilton on the Hill.
Its, neither fast nor slow, but that gorgeous bit in between where the 750 is rarely above fourth gear and each bend just swings into the next in the manner of the woodland section at Cadwell. It has a sort of consistency of character throughout its entire length.
I guess you'd call it a major B-road and as such, its of decent width and good surface, with mostly good visibility as long as you set the bends up. There's little more than a single dwelling along its length, and a couple of sideroads with good advanced visibility, so it contains few hidden surprises and allows a moderately spirited ride. There are open sections, and others where the termis rasp under the trees, and the whole stretch has a varied wholeness from one end to the other, like getting on and off a roller coaster ride.
A couple of rabbits froze up ahead, ready to dart, but the road was bone dry, my senses were alive and merely a single braking finger was enough to cover all three of the options that they would eventually choose at the last minute.
I love riding in the evening. It has a kind of cosiness to it and, by now, a kind of warm nostalgia too.
Anyway, I parked the bike in the light below the pub sign, borrowed two lovely guitars, sang songs by the grateful dead and little feat, and then as it seemed an appropriate occaision, gave my 3yr old song (about the monster) its first ever public outing. ("..her heart beats deep and soulful boys, it makes mine skip a beat..").
When I came out, there she was in the now deserted carpark, in her own little pool of light under a sign saying "rose" and "crown". I decided that "rose" was the more appropriate, though it was a close call.
The return down the rounded contours of the coplow was even better. Its a little quicker that way anyway, and now I knew that there were no muddy field entrances and suchlike. Also, it was dark, and so the same speed became that much more of a challenge without being any less legal.
I wasn't being fast though, just moderately quick.
I held back a little at first, with Sarah's words "watch out for the muntjack on the coplow...they WILL run out on you" ringing in my ears, but then I put my faith in the boom from the termis to scare them off.
At 11.30ish, it was still warm enough for leather jacket, boots and Levis (yes, I know, but if you play guitar wearing leather jeans it looks like you think you're some kind of rock star). There wasn't even a hint of a chill as I left the warm air of the village.
It was probably fourth gear nearly all the way, and often with little more than engine braking being required, so I was free to concentrate on other issues.
As one bend swung down-around into the next, the monster became ever more alive and part of me (like they do) and a delicate dance ensued, where footpeg weighting, countersteering and body position gently rose and fell in harmony with the torque from the motor, as the full moon hung high in an open sky.
The warm night air seemed to bring out the bass tones from the termis. I could only imagine that the owls that I'd heard earlier were still hooting as I dropped through the more heavily wooded section and on down to where the road opens out and a joyous blast to the junction completes the scene.
It would be a good ride on any bike, but on the monster its some kind of nirvana.
And the muntjack kept their distance.

Tilton lane...A47 to B6047.
Two miles of balmy heaven on a warm summer night.
As long as you're on a monster.

zhango
03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
A nice read, although it sounded all too good to be true and was building to end in a disastrous crash - I'm pleased it didn't and you had a safe ride.

Small Clanger
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Sounds fantastic. What were the "two lovely guitars" you borrowed ???

Music's been as big a part of my life as motorbikes but it was only about 15/16 years ago that I started playing.
Big fan of any type or "genre" of music, but particularly the blues (three chords/twelve bars and a few pentatonic scales for the twiddly bits :chuckle:) and also the Laurel Canyon/Troubador era type of stuff. :thumbsup:

slob
03-09-2012, 03:15 PM
It must have been the rose'

Nottsbiker
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Found the v5 for that frame, pm me the number on it and I'll send it off for you.

Don't forget your address details ;)

utopia
05-09-2012, 03:56 AM
It must have been the rose'

or the ribbon (of tarmac).

footnote. ^^^its a grateful dead thing^^^.

The guitars were accoustic, nothing of particular note really, but they did both have a very nice tone that fitted with my style of playing, so I could let them sing a bit.
I do have a little Martin that's small enough to carry as a backpack on a bike, but while its ok on the dommie with its upright riding position, it pokes me in the back of the neck when I'm on the monster. Plus, it's not the safest thing to carry on a spirited ride, or any other for that matter.
I've not been playing very long (for someone of my age). About 10yrs, though I've owned a dusty guitar very much longer than that. Could never play it until I adopted the countersteering approach, ie I don't know what I'm doing but it feels right and it seems to work. Gene Parsons (Byrds) agrees with this analysis (he's a biker.. and an engineer). Anyone who doubts this, should hold a spinning bicycle wheel by its axle and attempt to turn it to the left, whereupon it will bank sharply to the right, and bells will ring.

Yes, music and bikes.
In fact the monster's seat cowl bears little feat autographs.

He11cat
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Been doing some twighlight runs while I was on summer break... love them and sunrise chasing.

Alas back to weekends for Monsters.
When I hopped back on the work bike It felt like a shed ... on wheels.

Did get a bit cocky on some bends last week as my riding buddy was late back.
Nearly landed in a field but somehow kept calm and hauled bike away.
Afterwards my heart was in my mouth.

Im now trying to go out with a more expierienced rider .. but depends on shifts.
Also I am now in doghouse as have naughty child syndrome we forgot the time....
His Mrs not pleased ....
Very good and kind to ride with.
Just one thing I trust him but his job is a policeman so when asked how fast does your bike go... I was like um um ..... what do I say!!!!!!..... But I think there is an understanding that when out on the bikes the jobs at home with the uniform.
But I feel calm and at ease with him and safe so its helping me.
But next time think time better be watched I really don't want an angry wife after me , had that once already and it was innocent but ouch it was not fun!

I used to play ...
Im rubbish and my friend borrowed my guitar then moved! hmmph...
My fondest memory was myself and musician boyfriend .. he used to play 12 string.. so we would try and play it together one on strings one on fret board ... I used to get in a real tangle but it was fun.
Worst memory was I strung his bass wrong .. don't ask just before he was due to gig ...
But fond times faffing with guitars , fixing bikes and watching him build speaker cabs and stuff .
Did not even mind going to soundchecks...

Small Clanger
05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I had a look at a Martin Backpacker when searching for something festival-proof. Ended up with a Baby Taylor, autographed at Bishopstock '01 by Peter Green, a nice bloke.

The other Taylor is a '94 512 Grand Concert with a Fishman Rare Earth. The Dobro is a '92 Model 33H.

The noisy ones are a '99 Gibson ES335 Dot and an Anniversary US Deluxe Fender Strat HSS. :biggrin:

He11cat
05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
The Gibson is nice ...
Dobro's well they are just the pretiest things.... stunning

utopia
05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I considered the little Taylor too. In fact I wish I'd got one cos I think they have a better tone than the little Martin, which is a bit thin and reedy. I think it was the philips screws on the neck that put me off the Taylor.
My main guitar is a japanese-built Takamine EAN40C (cutaway body) which I love dearly and, like the monster, is a keeper.
I also have an un-named (full bodied) accoustic which was built as a sample by some Chinese company and I managed to get cheap. I only went in the shop to buy a tuner, and that wasn't even for me, but the guitar was waiting in ambush. Its a beaut. Plays like a £1.5k guitar, was priced at £500 but only cost me £300. I'm very tempted to get it fitted with one of Gene Parson's Stringbender mechanisms, as I'm a big fan of the pedal steel/dobro sound (but lack the talent to play either).
I don't do electrics.

He11cat
06-09-2012, 01:31 AM
One of my hugest regrets is not sticking with learning to play.
After being about people who can pick up anything and play be it a 12 string or a Viola or a piano ... It was a pleasure .
I started learning classical guitar at school..
My mum did not enjoy my tuneless playing :(
However I used to sing ... Was chosen to sing for the queen ...
Smoking in my teens bolloxed my voice!
I used to sneak off to singing lessons from an Opera singer :).
Stopped singing as well .. Wasn't cool to have an operatic voice :(

utopia
06-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Well its never too late.
It didn't happen for me until I was in my 40s.
My mum made me have piano lessons when I was little, but it was always naff tunes that didn't inspire me. Friends who had no lessons could play far better stuff than me.
I'd always had a strong feeling for music, but I came to the conclusion that I just didn't have the right braincells for playing an instrument.
It seemed like there was just too much technical data to process.
But think about singing.....I don't have the faintest idea what I'm actually doing to my vocal chords when I pitch a killer twisted harmony, but I've become familiar with the outcome.
That's what I meant by the countersteering analogy. I'm so familiar with the fact that turning left makes you turn right that I do it automatically, skipping the analytical stage completely.
I do the same with a guitar. In fact I tend to actively avoid any concious technical analysis at all.
Basically I'm doing exactly what I did when I learnt to sing as a child.
Except I'm doing it with my fingers, and I can see what they're doing (unlike my vocal chords), so I often shut my eyes.
I think its more important to want to, than to have a gift for it.
It does also help to have a few like-minded souls around you to share the journey though.