PDA

View Full Version : Riding in France/Hi Vis

slob
30-08-2012, 12:21 PM
If I understand the new (ridiculous) French regs correctly, the requirement is for 150cm2 of reflective material on the upper body.
This means that my very bright fluorescent(dayglo) vest is no good, it's the reflective stripes that you need,
have I got this right?

stef
30-08-2012, 12:28 PM
If I understand the new (ridiculous) French regs correctly, the requirement is for 150cm2 of reflective material on the upper body.
This means that my very bright fluorescent(dayglo) vest is no good, it's the reflective stripes that you need,
have I got this right?

i dont know, but as far as i know, that bright piece of legislation is not in place yet.
i believe its for 2013.
so we havent received all the details just yet.

SunEye
30-08-2012, 01:00 PM
The proposal planned for implementation on 1 Jan 2013 is for 150cm2 of retroreflective material on the upper body. Most hi viz vests have retroreflective areas that are probably large enough. As an alternative a pair of 3cm wide cycling/running reflective arm bands will suffice.

It is always possible that as with some laws in France it will become law, but will never be enforced. I believe this applies to the law for reflective dots on helmets.

J.P
30-08-2012, 01:01 PM
You are correct Slob. The 3M reflective material is basically what they mean. And as I've read before I think it's about 15% coverage, which is being introduced my manufacturers on new clothing. Don't know effective date

slob
30-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I think I'll take my bright orange fluo vest to wear in France and cross my fingers this September.
Will check it for EN471 or EN1150 labels when I get home (as that's what you need in a car)
I have bulbs, beam converter and carry a first aid kit anyway when touring.
Breathalysers ordered.

SunEye
30-08-2012, 01:13 PM
You are correct Slob. The 3M reflective material is basically what they mean. And as I've read before I think it's about 15% coverage, which is being introduced my manufacturers on new clothing. Don't know effective date
It's less than 1% of the area of a jacket. 150cm2 is about 3 credit cards. Many modern jackets have this amount of retroreflective material on them already. My Alpinestars Air-Flo jacket does in the white stripes on each arm and across the chest.

Dukedesmo
30-08-2012, 04:58 PM
It is always possible that as with some laws in France it will become law, but will never be enforced.

Indeed, I recently returned from a motoring trip to France and saw several breakdowns but no hi-viz/warning triangles, plenty of cars with lights out (so the 'carried' spare bulbs not being used and AFAIK the breathaliser rules are largely ignored (what's the point of a DIY breath test anyway?), the only noticeable change from days of old was the lower motorway speeds.

I just hope that we don't adopt too many silly new laws - because, if so, you just know that they will be zealously enforced by the 'bottom inspectors'... :worried:

Capo
30-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I thought the breathalyzers were for the police to use so they don't have to carry a kit.
I need to order for MOB Slob where did you get yours. I bet they are £20 each at the tunnel shop.

slob
30-08-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-Breathalyser-Twin-Legally-Compliant/dp/B0083RX9F0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346351512&sr=8-2

Got baffles so I don't upset the Politzei in Germany and Euro breakdown cover so I don't upset Jim ;-)

smiffyraf1
30-08-2012, 07:05 PM
definitely not in place till next year. i rode off the ferry last month with french cops on the other side and me and 3 other bikers didnt have them on and were not stopped.

zhango
30-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I just hope that we don't adopt too many silly new laws - :worried:
Are you a member of MAG? - if not, we need guys like you.

LVC
30-08-2012, 08:42 PM
definitely not in place till next year. i rode off the ferry last month with french cops on the other side and me and 3 other bikers didnt have them on and were not stopped.

True for the reflective part/strips but the alcohol tests are now compulsory :drunk:

gary tompkins
30-08-2012, 11:19 PM
I think I'll take my bright orange fluo vest to wear in France and cross my fingers this September.
Will check it for EN471 or EN1150 labels when I get home (as that's what you need in a car)
I have bulbs, beam converter and carry a first aid kit anyway when touring.
Breathalysers ordered.

Where did you order the brethalyser kits from Rob?

Cancel that - just seen the link you posted

Char
31-08-2012, 05:46 AM
got a couple of these - you can 'slap' them on what ever your wearing then slap them round the handlebars

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_73 3069_langId_-1_categoryId_228860

J.P
31-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Got baffles so I don't upset the Politzei in Germany and Euro breakdown cover so I don't upset Jim ;-)

There's nothing like learning from experience. :)

Dukedesmo
31-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I thought the breathalyzers were for the police to use so they don't have to carry a kit.

If that's the case then surely there's a 'market' for 'optimistic' breathalisers?

I wouldn't think the law would accept the variable? - I can't see UK Plod adopting such a DIY approach...

Are you a member of MAG? - if not, we need guys like you.

No, I'm not a member, never really considered it.

LouSCannon
31-08-2012, 08:55 AM

Baffles! Well reminded!!

I picked up a couple of breathalysers from the counter in Halfords for a just a few quid....

stef
31-08-2012, 09:13 AM
the breathalizers are just compulsary to have..it's for you own use, so that if you feel a little tipsy, you can just check yourself.
the impact on drunk driving will be minimal IMO, but at least some people will make some cash out of it !
they will enforce the breathalizers thing from november onwards. the law has been in place since july, but they gave us a few month grace. i still havent bought mine.
will you be riding anywhere near normandy ?

slob
31-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Not this time Stef. We're going Calais, Lille and into Belgium on the way out, a bit of Alsace in the middle and Belgium to Calais on the way back. I think a couple of Hampsters are going via Le Havre though.

spacemonkey
31-08-2012, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=stef;437559
the impact on drunk driving will be minimal IMO, but at least some people will make some cash out of it !
[/QUOTE]

Including the minister who brought this little law in, so the rumour goes...:twak:

slob
31-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Politicians will always enact stupid legislation that makes big faceless corporations rich.
The hi-vis thing is pretty stupid too, you'll have to wear reflective gear on your upper body when headlights are specially configured to point down and not dazzle other road users.
Pretty soon there'll be so much reflective stuff out there you'll need to wear black to be visible in the sea of dayglo and H&S will demand you wear a 3M polarized visor conforming to BSEN-80115417 at all times to protect your eyes from it (but your dark visor will still get you a $100 fine)

Capo
31-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I bought one now I discover you have to have two and I dont drink WTF

slob
31-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I did post a link to a two-pack

LVC
31-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Joke of it is if you put two under your seat and ride during summer the chances are the heat generated from the engine will be in excess of "ideal storage conditions" for the test ... ergo they won't work...but you won't know this until you come to use them as they have to remain sealed in the packs to be accepted by Frog Plod.

Great French logic about the legality of carrying and using the tests:
Come out of a mates house after an "apero" or two - not sure if you're over the limit so do a test - bingo over the limit so return inside for another apero - or not over the limit but have used one of the two test, can't drive without 2 so back into mates house for another drink or two.

You see there is logic behind the madness :)

jerry
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM
What about the proposed French ban on all motorcycles over 7 years old entering towns in 2014 ??????how will anyone get around ???? French government are mad and what they propose usually becomes EU law .

Capo
03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
When is the referendum