PDA

View Full Version : lock up

simontt
23-08-2012, 11:40 PM
On my way back home this evening, the bike suddenly refused to go, as if the brakes were applied. When stopped in neutral much effort was required to push the bike, as if it was in gear.

Called Ducati number assistance but the switch board does not know about the arrangement with the AA, 10 minutes 5 minutes later, start the bike and it behaves normally.

Not sure if it's a freak incident, has anyone experienced the same?

Capo
24-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Could be your rear brake sticking on, heats up - fluid expands - brake applied - cool down - fluid contracts - brake released.

Due to misadjusment at the lever/master cylinder not allowing piston to retract far enough to open the port.

Pomp1
24-08-2012, 06:26 AM
have you changed brake levers for some aftermarket ones?

neilo
24-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Definitely sounds like the brakes. That's the first thing I'd investigate.

gary tompkins
24-08-2012, 08:45 AM
If it's the model with ABS fitted it could be a fault on the system locking brakes up

Saint aka ML
24-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Evo has abs would it not cut in if there was brake issue? Or what Gary said above.

simontt
24-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Discovered last week that the rear brake lever was bent causing the brake light to be on permanently, the rear brake light connector was disconnected so at least the brake light works when applying the front brake.

Due to replace the bent lever tomorrow at Inmoto, and will ask them to give it a once over.

jerry
26-08-2012, 06:23 PM
sound like you had boiled brake fluid lockup

simontt
27-08-2012, 04:58 PM
sound like you had boiled brake fluid lockup

The bent rear brake padal was repalced and brake light works as it should, the normal pedal feel returned, the dealer also reported that everything works fine following an once over.

The bike behaved normally during the journeys to and from the dealer on Saturday.

Jerry, do you know what caused the brake fluid to boil and resulted in lock up (is it the front and / or rear wheel) - how can I ascertain it was that which resulted in the lock up?

jerry
29-08-2012, 06:02 AM
brake fluid absorbs water /moisture , the water in the fluid gets hot and expands locking the brake which gets even hotter , fluid should be replaced every 2 years especially on rear brakes on Ducatis ,they are very prone to this issue

simontt
29-08-2012, 12:27 PM
brake fluid absorbs water /moisture , the water in the fluid gets hot and expands locking the brake which gets even hotter , fluid should be replaced every 2 years especially on rear brakes on Ducatis ,they are very prone to this issue

Thanks Jerry, my montser is 6 months old but will discuss with the dealer on the brake fluid renewal if the locks up happens again.

Capo
29-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Moisture in brake fluid manifests itself as a spongy feel, this occurs when the moisture vapourises when the temperature exceeds 100C. It will not cause the lock up as described, as soon as the brake is released and the piston uncovers the port, the pressure drops to zero. I doubt very much that your six month old fluid contains sufficient moisture to affect your brake in any way.
Rather I'd be looking to ensure the piston is travelling all the way back after releasing the brake.

Nottsbiker
30-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Moisture in brake fluid manifests itself as a spongy feel, this occurs when the moisture vapourises when the temperature exceeds 100C. It will not cause the lock up as described, as soon as the brake is released and the piston uncovers the port, the pressure drops to zero. I doubt very much that your six month old fluid contains sufficient moisture to affect your brake in any way.
Rather I'd be looking to ensure the piston is travelling all the way back after releasing the brake.

Aprilia 1000's do this with monotonous (sp?) regularity, probably due to the fact that the rear brake hose runs so close to the engine it gets 'cooked'. Whatever the reason it needs regular bleeding and as most Ducati's of late have run the same set up (my 996 did) I advise keeping an eye on it.

Capo
30-08-2012, 03:18 PM
My rear brake hose goes nowhere near the engine, however the clutch line does and I have experienced no problems