PDA

View Full Version : A Manx trip.... part 1

Gordon H
23-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Three of us headed off to Peel (IofM) for a few days of Manx flavoured larks.

Saturday -

Calum, Stuart and my good self headed up to Liverpool last Saturday for the afternoon ferry over to Douglas. We arrived on the island around 9:30ish, got the bikes off of the ferry and headed off for the short trip over to Peel.

You know you are someplace special once you start to notice crash protection along the roadside and the orange signs with names of places you've heard of time and time again - then just as you are starting to get a feel for the place, the first section of unrestricted road rolls into view - then just as rapidly, Stuart and Calum disappeared off into the darkness.... (kind of set the theme for the following few days...) Ah well, deep breath and go for it.....

Before long we were in Peel, unloaded the bags and off to The Creek for some (ok, lots of) beers. That took care of Saturday - back to the room for some kip then ready for Sunday.

Sunday -

Woke to a sunny morning, full breakfast then off for a ride around the course.... the names on the sign posts are familiar despite never having been here before - though knowing which are right or left handers would have helped!! Needless to say despite being on the supposedly fastest bike I soon found myself bringing up the rear....

Stopped in Ramsey for the obligatory cuppa before heading up May Hill to the Hairpin, through Waterworks and on to the Gooseneck - that's where the fun started...

Wobbled my way around (in wrong gear) and finally got some momentum up - rounded the next left hander just in time to see Calum and Stuart disappearing out of view over the next crest. Another deep breat - everything between there and Creg ny Baa was a blur... Stuart was off the leash by this stage - with Calum following at speeds which shouldn't be possible on a restricted SV650...

I was beginning to enjoy myself by this stage having brushed off the apprehension which was growing on the climb up out of Ramsey....

All too soon we were in Douglas - cream teas all round.

Once that was taken care of, Stuart led us off for a few laps of the Billown course - Church bends are scary at 30 mph - how they get bikes (and sidecars) through there at race speeds is beyond me...

Once this was all taken care of (and I'd gathered my wits) we headed back to Peel for some grub and much needed refreshment of the Okells variety at The Creek.

Monday -

More fun and games on the Mountain before heading into Douglas to sign up for some marshal duties - once we'd watched the brief DVD and were issued with marshals packs we headed back up on to the Mountain for a taste of each others bikes - Cal on my 748, me on Stu's 796 with Stu on the SV... Cal had agreed to behave himself which he did - well, at least until he was out on the unrestricted section...

Monday evening we settled into a previously recce'd spot ready for the evenings practice session - very windy, chilly but nice light for piccies - trouble is after the first practice lap, nothing but silence - not a sound. Over an hour later the next group came round and that was it... turns out everyone was held up in Ramsey due to fog on the Mountain. Fog?? What fog?? We soon found out!!

By that time it was well past 9 and it was getting dark - we hit the fog somewhere around Guthries and it was thick... very thick. Headlights on a 748 are pretty lousy but in those conditions they were useless - I can honestly say I have never been so freaked out on a bike - I got totally disoriented, passed the Bungalow after what seemed like an age and the relief I felt as I dropped out of the fog past Creg ny baa was huge... I caught up with the other two at the top of the pit lane in Douglas.... drink was required!!

More to follow....

Gordon H
23-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Tuesday -

Oooops, seal went on the clutch slave cylinder on the yellow one - luckily a spare was in the tool bag just in case. After much swearing, confusion with spanner sizes and a friendly German, the job was completed meaning that the clutch fluid stayed where it was supposed to...

Then off for more fun on the Mountain, some shopping in Douglas and back to Peel for a late lunch ready for the evenings marshal duties at Douglas Road corner. We went from Peel via the coast road to Kirk Michael - although not on the course it's a nice ride - though some advance warning about the horseshoe bend and getting "air" under the bike at the bridge would have been useful... (ahem)

The team at Douglas Road corner were great, the banter was brilliant and us novices were made welcome before being allocated our duties ready for the start of the session and road closure at 6pm If you get a chance to sign up as a marshal I advise you to do it - amazing experience to be part of the event.

Midge attack was the only downside...

Once the session finished, opened up the roads and back to Peel for more refreshment at The Creek...

Wednesday -

HOME (Booo!!) ... Everything packed, hotel paid for and off around for one last lap of the circuit. All going well until Quarry Bends - earlier in the week, my travelling companions had gone through there at 3 figure speeds.... not so this time. The SV expired after all her exertions.. the trouble was traced to a dodgy side stand cut out switch. I went off into Ramsey to source some spare fuses and some wire to knock up a bypass loop - Stuart and Cal go their hands dirty and we were on our way again with just enough time to make the ferry at 2:15...

Back into Liverpool around tea time in sunny weather - sunny that is until until we hit the M6 when the heavens opened... WET!! Then just a slog south heading for home.

A great time and I'll be back for more - Stu's knowledge and advice were priceless!!

Cheers

G.

samieb
23-08-2012, 05:14 PM
A very good right-up Gordon. Glad you enjoyed it.

Stafford
23-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Know exactly what you mean about the fog G, had the same in the day time so in the dark with 748 lights must have been dire. :on:

Char
23-08-2012, 06:04 PM
ooohhh cant wait for part 2

do you do an audio book? Where can I buy the DVD - oh hold on......

Musty
23-08-2012, 06:17 PM
ooohhh cant wait for part 2

do you do an audio book? Where can I buy the DVD - oh hold on......

:chuckle:

Sounds like a great trip, but you forgot to write about the steam trains and fishing parts of your trip.

He11cat
23-08-2012, 06:25 PM
And the pipe shop :)
One of things on my list of to do's .
I think everyone falls in love with that place !

uksurfer
23-08-2012, 06:43 PM
glad your all back safe and sound, im waiting for the video too!

good to hear that youngen showed you a clean set of michelins...

chris yeatman
23-08-2012, 06:53 PM
didnt know that sv650's were fast than yellow 748's.........

MrsC_772
23-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a good trip. I know what you mean about midgie attacks when marshalling - Andy and I suffered when we marshalled on a Manx International Rally stage a few years ago.

Gordon H
24-08-2012, 12:32 PM
glad your all back safe and sound, im waiting for the video too!

good to hear that youngen showed you a clean set of michelins...

He did all right on Stu's 796 and the 748.... everyone should add "a trip over the mountain" to their bucket list...

ANDRI-973
03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I n v i d i a !!!!!! :flag: