PDA

View Full Version : My little ride out

akmm
22-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Had to share my first touring trip. 1,800 miles in 5 days, knees and arse in bits but a big smile. She didn't miss a beat, other that is than the Alarm which I had checked out before I left which just wouldn't stop going off. Need to take in again.

So the trip:
Day 1 - London to Reims
Day 2 - Reims to Zurich, spending the day in the Black Forest, rode the D500
Day 3 - Zurich to Lake Como, via Davos to St Moritz Fluela pass and in to top of Lake Como
Day 4 - Lake Como to Geneva, via Lake Maggiore on to the SS337 just stunning road
Day 5 - Geneva to London, via Jura Moutains national park on D1005 awesome road

I think i managed to cover some of the most stunning roads I have ever seen. Though definitely value Swiss roads vs. Italian, not quite the same surface :)

J.P
23-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Sounds like to did the UKMOC proud with a great trip. I've done touring in Europe many times myself and you'll always find great roads.
Day 5 must have been a trek all the way from Geneva. :)

slob
23-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Proper job! I'm amazed you had time to stop and take photos.

Thirdway
23-08-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm in the process of selling the Monster, but your photos reminded me of the good time I had two years ago blasting around Europe on it. It was faultless and we bonded. It's not the perfect touring bike but there is something about taking a little coffee shop poser on a long journey and finding out just how well it can cope.

I would trust mine to take me to the ends of the Earth. Brilliant fun. Maybe I will keep it?

Scott1
23-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Great stuff, Geneva to London, how long did that take in total?

akmm
23-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Glad causing a rethink on selling, totally was a bit of a bonding trip. With the crap summer this year I almost doubled her mileage and made friends.

She was def not as comfortable as the touring bikes ... But when you got to the curvy mountain roads :)

The Geneva to London was a bit crazy. One of those last minute decisions of I don't want to stay in Reims again, ah it's not too much further ... Famous last words. Left Geneva at around 10:30am arriving home in London about 11pm took a leisurely trip over Jura mountains then 45 min lunch break otherwise gunned it the rest of the way back. Was in pieces!! Met a guy on Eurotunnel that had just done Munich to the tunnel that day ... nuts.

Am sure would have taken more breaks if the wife was with me but ... I was on a biking on a ride out not a lounging about trip ;)

J.P
23-08-2012, 09:42 AM
That sort of last minute dash is the sort of thing you only do once after realizing how knackered you get.
I did Chamonix to London once, 850 miles. Never again. :)

mintyhit
23-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Looks really amazing, good work! Did you do the trip on your own?

I can't seem to see much luggage... or did you take it all off to take those pictures?

:)

akmm
23-08-2012, 05:22 PM
For sure wont be doing the mad long dash again :)

Did the trip alone, probs part of reason rode quite so much of each day no real reason to stop just find the next bend instead. Though did get chatting, everyone mainly bikers i met along the way very friendly. Though a white van man in a petrol station just before heading out of London who seemed to lose it that my bike had ordacity to be at the pump and so in his way. Not sure two brain cells to rub together threatening to kick my head in at petrol station with shed loads of CCTV.

Luggage wise just a back pack, pride myself on ability to travel light. That said is a little restrictive, perhaps panniers next time though does spoil the look.

MrsC_772
23-08-2012, 07:05 PM
As a fellow 696 owner who did a solo European trip this summer (to WDW) reading your posts brings back very fond memories. Those little serendipitous interactions with random people along the way (other bikers, cafe customers, petrol pump attendants) are part of the joy of solo touring.

I love the Fluela pass - haven't done it on the Monster but we did it in the Scooby a few years ago. Has to be my favourite Alpine pass - it just flows, rather than being switchbacky and slow.

I'd recommend the Kriega tailpacks - you'll find the 696 high exhausts limit conventional luggage options like panniers, but 2 x US10 and 1 x US20 did me fine for a fortnight.