PDA

View Full Version : My new bike (in the naughty corner)

Scott1
22-08-2012, 01:00 PM
So I get rid of my lovely 696 which went round corners better than any other bike I've ever had, was 100% reliable, was light as a feather and looked great and I now get something that was styled from the 70's, is twice the size and has a fender extender and steel wheels....

It handles like a penny farthing compared to the Monster but that 1000 DS engine, those cans and the retro styling, I absolutley love it, I popped into Rosso Corse earlier, Ray said they call them Gentlemans Monsters, I like the title.

One thing, it is very loud, louder than the 696 with the unbaffled termis, I have to push it down the road before I start it in the morning! But it sounds quality, you get a big old thraaap when you open the taps.

I can imagine its not eveybody's cup of tea but each to their own, now where did I put my flares.

What is it I here you ask, well please have a look at the pics.

Hope to get out and meet up soon.

simon_g
22-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Love these. Never seen one in that colour either.

J.P
22-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Very nice looking Scott

Pomp1
22-08-2012, 01:54 PM
They're a good ride and just as modifyable as a monster..

Qba
22-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Great looking bike! If I could afford second machine this would be my choice.

mintyhit
22-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I was giving some serious thought to these before I settled on the S4RS... :)

I never manged to find one to test ride but I love the styling, how comfortable are they? I read some complaints about the riding position.

Lovely bike though, nice one!

Scott1
22-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Minty, I think its like sitting on a big fat armchair at the moment, the riding posiiton is a bit more upright than a Monster as the front pegs are a bit further forward. I rode it back from Durham - 280 miles on Monday, comfortable all day long, the other Sports Classics, inc the Paul Smart are supposed to be a bit of a back ache as they have clip ons.

If there are any criticisms, the fork springs are too soft and the bars feel a bit naorrow but nothing that I'm that bothered with at the moment.

Diego
22-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Nice bike dude. Sport classics are übercool! Sheesh they even featured in TRON ffs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCjHXLHGUk

Was yours at rossos yesterday?

p.s. You could look into seat modification further along the line....making it sleeker a la ''cafe racer style'' would really complement the bike's lines. Then again...at the mo it is very comfy isn't it!

Scott1
22-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Cheers Diego, ubercool, I like that.

Not mine at Rosso's but I did like the mirrors on the one they had there today and that will probably be the first mod, 14th front sprocket after, then forks........here we go again.

Erm, I see what you mean about the seat its like a sofa.

Never seen the new Tron, I remember the first one! I may have to watch it now after seeing the clip.

neilo
22-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Beautiful!

Funkatronic
22-08-2012, 04:27 PM
very nice mate, reckon they are becoming quuite collectable now
think the forks are the same as the s2r800 (non adjustable marzochis with damping only in 1 leg)
i'm pretty sure the SC/GT1000 use the same 50mm top 54mm bottom as the monnie so keep an eye out for a set of adjustable showas from an s4, s4r, s2r1000

i have a working set that were on my 800 for sale but they have a few scratches from when i had headlight mount brackets installed

FLATTOP
22-08-2012, 06:43 PM
That is lovely Scott i bet it sounds outrageous nice colour as well.:thumbsup:

Albie
22-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Its great and is proper retro . It does take a brave company like Ducati to bring us bikes of the past that really are COOL and sometimes they are overlooked. Enjoy it and the comments as it will be a future classic.

gary tompkins
22-08-2012, 11:07 PM
I like that :cool:

The GT1000 can look pretty awesome with the right mods

http://www.spiritoftheseventies.com/s/bike11/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XxwNyCS5Ci0/T6jcpEyMeQI/AAAAAAAAGLs/NsbZ6mollbw/s1600/RADical_Ducati_GT_1000_Cafe_Veloce_2.jpg

He11cat
22-08-2012, 11:56 PM
It's a bit phwoar that!

utopia
23-08-2012, 02:12 AM
It's a bit phwoar that!

Its the way you tell 'em, Mel. :chuckle:
And I fully agree.

As with the ss frames, I like the way these frames leave the vee fully exposed, rather than crossing it as the monster frames do.

Not too sure about the twin shocks though.
Retro is fine by me, but maybe using a less effective engineering solution to the rear suspension purely for styling reasons is a step too far.

I wonder how loud that exhaust is. I really like the simplicity of a single can, the purposeful lob-sided look, and the weight saving too. But the pressure pulses must be immense from that 1000cc motor. I note that there are two springs holding the can on.

I think a naked ss is about the only thing that would tempt me away from my monster.

Proper nice bike though, Scott.
and ditto, the paint.

He11cat
23-08-2012, 05:22 AM
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/697314FD-22D5-44F1-8F49-DFBB753CAD04-170-00000021DB0D8C75.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/43F67CC0-8A80-4A06-8469-00AD01CFE88B-170-000000220D72AC8F.jpg

Was at Thetford show ...

Dave G
23-08-2012, 08:22 AM
That bike at Thetford belongs to a Ducati.ms member called Hoppy.
Very nice, hadn't noticed the airtech seat unit before now, less keen on the blue oil lines though.

Scott1
23-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Again thanks for all the comments, really pleased people like it.

Funk, cheers mate, interesting stuff about the forks, my S2R800 had the standard forks and I got along ok with them so maybe its not so much these, what I would really like is the front end feel and riding position of the 696 but I'm aware that geometry, a seat the size of a bus and my budget might make this impossible for a start, I will have to do some thinking.

I think I need to borrow the one GT has put a picture up from and try that :)

As for how loud it is, I have a decibel reader on my phone, I don't know how far away you should be to take standard reading but I could try.....it might explode.

I think I might have to look for a little commuter bike as well for the winter, as I'd like to keep this one immaculate, saying that, my 696 was four years old, ridden through snow and everything crap weather going and after a days thorough cleaning and polishing it looked virtually new, didn't have steel wheels though.

mintyhit
23-08-2012, 10:13 AM
As for how loud it is, I have a decibel reader on my phone, I don't know how far away you should be to take standard reading but I could try.....it might explode.

In the states they say 20inches with the mic pointed at the ground and angled 45degrees towards the bikes direction of travel, not sure about the UK methods.

Be aware that the iPhone decibel meter tops out at 110 I think and probably isn't that accurate - give it a go though!. :)